Curmudgeon Times Speculation

If it’s blessed horseradish it will drive away demons… :sunglasses:

I like Gentleman Jack I’m too poor to drink the really high-end stuff plus I just don’t drink anymore.

Coffee and nicotine are my drugs and I like to occasionally solve crimes with my partner @Cruciferi

3 Likes

Movie?

Wasn’t that a documentary?

:thinking:

Gentleman Jack is nice. (\me eyes pantry)

But when I think about it, I’m baffled by the fact that Jack Daniels was what we schemed to get in ollete . .

1 Like

No booze for me, thanks. I learned a long time ago that one drink always leads to one too many when it comes to me and alcohol.

limitations

5 Likes

I was considering finally opening the bottle of white wine someone gave me last year. I had to ask a friend what to do with the leftovers.

After she scoffed at the possibility of leftover wine, she told me to re-cork it and store it in the fridge.

Then I looked at the bottle and realized it has a screw-on cap. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I decided to wait to open this, um, fine vintage. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

:fire: Today begins the Novena for Pentecost.

In the monastery, we would chant the Sequence for Pentecost every evening after Compline. I found this recording with the chant and translation. If you prefer to sing your prayers (or have others sing them for you), this is a simple and lovely way to pray the novena.

http://gregorian-chant-hymns.com/hymns-2/veni-sancte-spiritus.html

5 Likes

I started today. :pray:

:leaves::fire::dove:

In the East green is the liturgical color and the Church is decorated in leafy greens signifying the living giving Spirit.

Also on the icon of the Holy Trinity the Holy Spirit is always depicted wearing green.

3 Likes

Wine adds a lovely taste when cooking. Lots of chicken dishes add a bit of wine and it’s a nice addition.

4 Likes

I use whiskey. It gets the chicken drunk and creates a nice fire ball. :older_man: :tumbler_glass: :smoking: :fire:

7 Likes

I am a terrible cook, but I might just try a chicken dish with wine. I mean, a little wine in the dish, a little wine for me (repeat) and I won’t really care how the food tastes, right?

:wine_glass::crazy_face:

3 Likes

Ooh, do you have a recipe for chicken and whiskey? I am outnumbered by males and they would probably like that. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

For those fine vintages, and left overs are best stored in the bottle with duct tape sealing the top. Then place that in a brown paper bag.

2 Likes

Screw top wine and box wine get a lot of mockery, but they’re not necessarily bad :rofl:

4 Likes

I’ll have you know I have the highest regard for duct tape!

:crazy_face:

4 Likes

At a snail’s pace, better wine that is meant to be kept a few years is actually getting corks.

The sorry fact is that corks are actually one of the worst ways to seal wine! Some industry estimates put the failure rate at 10%. I think it’s substantially lower for synthetic corks, but they also get looked down on for expensive wine.

Robert Mondavi himself spent the last decade or two of his wife advocating the twist offs instead.

I do this for singing. The more they’ve had, the better people think I can sing!
:crazy_face: :roll_eyes:

not whisky, but beer:

Take ten gallons of ale, and a large cock, the older the better; parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar till his bones are broken (you must craw and gut him when you flay him); then put the cock into two quarts of sack, and put it to three pounds of raisins of the sun stoned, some blades of mace, and a few cloves; put all these into a canvas bag, and a little before you find the ale has done working, put the ale and bag together into a vessel; in a week or nine days time bottle it up; fill the bottle but just above the neck, and give the same time to ripen as other ale

From The Complete Housewife, 1739

:scream:

There are enough historical references that apparently Cock Ale was really made on a regular basis. (hmm, autocorrect just capitalized it!). I’ve seen another recipe that also uses ham . . .

it’s great for holding ducks together!

5 Likes

This is how I roll… :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I posted
The name of that beer the other day and got my hands slapped.

3 Likes

It’s pretty good stuff… :beer::sunglasses::smoking:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.