Current Customary Stipend Amount for a House Blessing

Our house is getting blessed. I know it’s customary to give a stipend to the priest for his time and going out of his way, etc for a house blessing. I’m just not certain what the current stipend amount that is customary these days in North America. Anyone know (and please don’t say X% of income because I technically don’t have any income.)

The best thing to do would be to ask whoever you make the arrangements with (i.e. the parish secretary.) Also the priest/deacon usually will give you a good idea of what is customary. The priest that blessed my house said nothing is required but $20.00 is usually customary (at least in his diocese.) I would assume more should be required if you live far from the church to cover gas, etc.

I had no idea you had to pay to get your house blessed. Is this true everywhere? I have been thinking of asking a priest to do this. Now I'm kind of shocked. Why in the world would you have to pay for this? Sure, it takes his time, but certainly no more than 30-40 minutes including travel. Isn't that what priests DO?

[quote="AnneTeresa, post:3, topic:302999"]
I had no idea you had to pay to get your house blessed. Is this true everywhere? I have been thinking of asking a priest to do this. Now I'm kind of shocked. Why in the world would you have to pay for this? Sure, it takes his time, but certainly no more than 30-40 minutes including travel. Isn't that what priests DO?

[/quote]

The difference is between have to pay and should pay. You are paying the priest a stipend. The original poster was asking about what is customary. That will vary parish by parish. Some parishes are small and require very little travel, thus the customary stipend can be pretty small. Some parishes (i.e. in Texas) can be very large, requiring hours of travel. I assume the customary stipend would be larger there. Sometimes the person may even not live in the priests geographic parish, so the priest has to travel even farther. Also I would assume the customary donation might vary depending on the relative wealth of the area/people. The customary donation in Beverly Hills is probably a lot higher then one in inner city Chicago.

The key is that the stipend is "customary", not required. You can pay less, more, or not at all.

It use to be customary to treat the priest to a meal, especially during days before the automobile where it could take all day to get to your house.

[/quote]

It's not that you "have to" pay a priest to bless your house (unless your particular parish setup some weird requirement - which I'm sure would be waived anyway if you couldn't afford it). It's more a thank you to the priest for taking his time and using his resources to come out and bless your house when he could otherwise be staying at home to relax, praying, or doing his other duties. I know in some of the larger parishes (or smaller parishes that cover larger areas due to being rural), priests will only bless houses when asked and will not offer (simply because it's impractical and nearly impossible to get to everyone).

I tried this year to get two different priests out to my house but it just didn't pan out. I'm not sure what the going rate was, but I was going to offer like $10 and some homemade desserts (since money is tight). Just a thought if you don't have spare money. I might have to go this route again when 2013 rolls around.

[/quote]

It is not required. Priest do not have a source of income...and depend a lot on the generosity of parishioners. A nice home cooked meal would suffice. He usually will not ask for money...but we give it out of generosity and a way to say thanks for coming out here to bless our house.

[quote="BusterMartin, post:5, topic:302999"]
priests will only bless houses when asked and will not offer

[/quote]

Actually our priest said that very few people actually ask for this anymore.

I tried this year to get two different priests out to my house but it just didn't pan out. I'm not sure what the going rate was, but I was going to offer like $10 and some homemade desserts (since money is tight).

Our priest never actually asked for a stipend, he only offered up what the customary donation was when we asked.

Priest came and blessed our house....I did not give any offering...

I never think of giving an offering in such cases. Though I know some of my friends would. It of course can be customary etc to do so (Paul discusses the worth of the worker...) but it is to be noted that one cannot "pay for a blessing".

[quote="pablope, post:6, topic:302999"]
It is not required. Priest do not have a source of income...and depend a lot on the generosity of parishioners. A nice home cooked meal would suffice. He usually will not ask for money...but we give it out of generosity and a way to say thanks for coming out here to bless our house.

[/quote]

Priests get a salary.

Generally it's far less than someone with a graduate degree will earn in a secular job, but they do get a salary, and health insurance, housing, even pay into Social security.

[quote="pablope, post:6, topic:302999"]

[/quote]

Priests dont get a salary?

I've seen some parishioners have a dinner afterwards as a gesture of thanks.

Priests dont get a salary?

I’ve seen some parishioners have a dinner afterwards as a gesture of thanks.

[quote="TrueLight, post:10, topic:302999"]

I've seen some parishioners have a dinner afterwards as a gesture of thanks.

[/quote]

Just make sure if you are doing this you arrange it with the priest first. They may assume they are only going to be there for the amount of time the blessing requires. They may have something to go to right after the blessing. So a) don't feel slighted if they can't stay b) you may not want to put them on the spot to have to refuse your hospitality.

As for whether priests are paid or not, if they are diocesan priests they receive a small salary with benefits. If they are a Religious priest, they probably don't receive a salary and depending on the requirements of the Order/community/association they may or may not even be allowed to keep the stipend.

[quote="Richard320, post:9, topic:302999"]
Priests get a salary.

Generally it's far less than someone with a graduate degree will earn in a secular job, but they do get a salary, and health insurance, housing, even pay into Social security.

[/quote]

It is not generally a salary as I understand it.

When our home was blessed, the kitchen was not yet functioning. So we offered an invite back once we have more of the house restored....

But in the meantime, we gave a $35 gas card for his trips to other parishioners homes. And we took him out to the restaurant of his choice...which was a sit down fast food joint!

[quote="pablope, post:13, topic:302999"]

[/quote]

For a religious order priest, this might be true. A diocesan priest, though? He gets a salary.

[/quote]

:confused:

Meaning what?

I know our priests are paid every two weeks and they have health insurance.

[quote="Bookcat, post:8, topic:302999"]
Priest came and blessed our house....I did not give any offering...

I never think of giving an offering in such cases. Though I know some of my friends would. It of course can be customary etc to do so (Paul discusses the worth of the worker...) but it is to be noted that one cannot "pay for a blessing".

[/quote]

It's not "paying for a blessing". sigh This idea really needs to be gotten rid of. It's simply showing your appreciation for your priest's time and energy. How many of us go to restaurants and tip our servers without thinking twice about whether or not it's absurd to pay someone for doing her job?

[/quote]

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?threadid=723156

So...the current customary stipend for a house blessing is...?

You could call the rectory and ask what the customary stipend is, or you could call the diocese and ask.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.