Current Roman Missal

Does anyone know where I can find the English translation of the current Roman Missal/Order of Mass? I went to the USCCB site and found the Order of Mass for the upcoming 3rd edition, but I can't find the one currently in use.

It's copyrighted; I don't think you'll find it online anywhere. Extracts from the current and incoming Ordinaries are only online for the purpose of transitional catechesis, and may disappear in the future. Indeed, copyright law has been used to 'persuade' a priest to remove sections of the corrected (i.e. new) translation from his blog.

The 1973 (mis)translation is not online, I think. If there's a particular part you want, try googling a few words and maybe you'll find a website that has an extract up for some reason.

If you're thinking "why does the Church restrict the access of the Faithful to their birthright in the liturgical texts" ... I have sympathy for you. I suppose it has something to do with preventing misleading publications taking extracts out of context, with incorrect rubrics &c., though I think the Imprimatur system worked well enough to police the issue before 1970.

By contrast, if you want to read the Book of Divine Worship (a missal-cum-breviary-cum-lectionary) for the Catholic convert parishes in the US which have permission to retain parts of their Anglican liturgical patrimony, you can just download the PDF of the whole thing.

I think that they pulled the current version because it will be outdated in the US this coming Advent. You might be able to find one at a Catholic bookstore, or perhaps on e-Bay. Probably a few "brick and mortar" stores will be only too happy to sell off their old stock.

Or you can just wait a few months and get a new edition of the Missal.

[quote="Vincent1984, post:2, topic:234835"]
If you're thinking "why does the Church restrict the access of the Faithful to their birthright in the liturgical texts" ... I have sympathy for you. I suppose it has something to do with preventing misleading publications taking extracts out of context, with incorrect rubrics &c., though I think the Imprimatur system worked well enough to police the issue before 1970.

[/quote]

That makes sense. I might be wrong but the imprimaturs on the publications might have been the required clearance since it seems the Anglican Church had implied copyrights on many of the translations, even the Our Father (hallowed...trespasses). Of course, the translations had never been allowed as part of the Latin Rite liturgy, except in the sermon, though I think the Epistle and Gospel were from the Douay-Rheims.

But even if those old translations were in the public domain, one could still claim that using them in the Catholic liturgy could be construed as plagiarism.

If the OP simply wants the “order of Mass” according to the current “translation” (for lack of a better word) in English, the easiest thing is to pick-up one of those paper “missalettes” found in every non-EF-only church. Those are copyrighted too, but unless one is going to reproduce or otherwise disseminate the text or the “music” contained therein, there’s no problem with “home” use.

You can find the present text here and here. It is side by side with the upcoming translation.

Roman Catholic Doctrine Vs. The Doctrinal Teaching of the Word of God

Eternal life is a merited reward [1821, 2010]. - Roman Catholicism
Eternal life is the free gift of God (Romans 6:23)

No one can know if he will attain eternal life [1036, 2005] - Roman Catholicism
The believer can know that he has eternal life by the Word of God (1 John 5:13)

The Roman Catholic Church is necessary for salvation [846]. - Roman Catholicism
There is salvation in no one but the Lord Jesus Christ, “for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men, by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12)

Purgatory is necessary to atone for sin and clean the soul [1030-1031]. - Roman Catholicism
Purgatory does not exist. Jesus made purification for sins on the cross (Hebrews 1:3)

Mary was preserved from all stain of original sin from the first instant of her conception (the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception) [490-492].
Mary, a descendant of Adam, was born in sin (Psalm 51:5; Romans 5:12)

Mary is the Mother of the Church [963, 975]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was the earthly mother of Jesus ( John 2:1)

The Magisterium is the authoritative teacher of the Church. [85-87]. - Roman Catholicism
The Holy Spirit is the authoritative teacher of the church (John 14:26; John 16:13, I John 2:27)

The pope, as the Bishop of Rome, is the successor of Peter [882, 936] - Roman Catholicism
Peter had no successor, nor was he a pope.

The pope is infallible in his authoritative teaching [891]. - Roman Catholicism
God alone is infallible (Numbers 23:19)

Scripture and Tradition together are the Word of God [81, 85, 97, 182]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the Word of God (John 10:35, 2 Timothy 3:15-17, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Tradition is the words of men (Mark 7:1-13).

The sacrificial work of redemption is continually carried out through the Sacrifice of the Mass. [1364,1405, 1846]. - Roman Catholicism
The sacrificial work of redemption was finished when Christ gave His life for us on the cross (Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 1:3).

God desires that consecrated bread and wine be worshiped as divine. [1378-1381] - Roman Catholicism
God forbids the worship of any object, even t hose intended to represent Him (Exodus 20:4-5, Isaiah 42:8)

Justification is lost through mortal sin [1033, 1855, 1874] - Roman Catholicism
Justification cannot be lost. Those whom God justifies will be saved from the wrath of God (Romans 5:8-9).

Justification is furthered by sacraments and good works [1212, 1392, 2010] - Roman Catholicism
Justification is the imputation of the perfect righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21). In Christ the believer has been made complete (Colossians 2:10).

Salvation is attained by cooperating with grace through faith, good works, and participation in the sacraments [183, 1129, 1815, 2002]. - Roman Catholicism
Salvation is attained by grace through faith apart from works (Ephesians 2:8-9). Good works are the result, not the cause, of salvation (Ephesians 2:10).

Mary, “the All-Holy,” lived a perfectly sinless life [411, 493]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary was a sinner; God alone is sinless (Luke 18:19, Romans 3:23, Revelation 15:4).

Mary was a virgin before, during, and after the birth of Christ [496-511]. - Roman Catholicism
Mary remained a virgin until after the birth of Jesus (Matthew 1:25). Later she had other children (Matthew 13:55-56, Psalm 69:8).

Each Sacrifice of the Mass appeases God’s wrath against sin [1371, 1414]. - Roman Catholicism
The once-for-all sacrifice of the cross fully appeased God’s wrath against sin. (Hebrews 10:12-18).

The Bishops, with the Pope, as their head, rule the universal church. [883, 894-896]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ, the head of the body is the Head of the Church. (Colossians 1:18).

The faithful receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure through the Sacrifice of the Mass [1366, 1407]. - Roman Catholicism
Believers receive the benefits of the cross in fullest measure in Christ through faith (Ephesians 1:3-14).

God has exalted Mary in heavenly glory as Queen of Heaven and Earth [966]. She is to be praised with special devotion [971, 2675]. - Roman Catholicism
The name of the Lord is to be praised, for He alone is exalted above heaven and earth (Psalm 148:13). God commands, “You shall have no other gods before Me.” (Exodus 20:3).

Mary is the co-mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions 9 968-970, 2677] - Roman Catholicism
Christ Jesus is the one mediator to whom we can entrust all our cares and petitions (1 Timothy 2:5, John 14:13-14, 1 Peter 5:7).

Mary is the co-redeemer, for she participate with Christ in the painful act of redemption [618, 964, 968, 970]. - Roman Catholicism
Christ alone is the Redeemer, for He alone suffered and died for sin (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The sacrifice of the cross is perpetuated in the Sacrifice of the Mass [1323, 1382] - Roman Catholicism
The Sacrifice of the cross is finished (John 19:30).

Indulgences dispensed by the Church for acts of piety release sinners from temporal punishment [1471-1473]. - Roman Catholicism
Jesus releases believers from their sins by His blood. (Revelation 1:5).

The Magisterium has the right to define truth found only obscurely or implicitly in revelation. [66, 88, 2035, 2051]. - Roman Catholicism
No one has the right to go beyond what is written in Scripture (1 Corinthians 4:6, Proverbs 30:5-6).

Scripture and Tradition together are the Church’s supreme role of faith [80, 82]. - Roman Catholicism
Scripture is the church’s rule of faith (Mark 7:7-13, 2 Timothy 3:16-17).

[quote="Phemie, post:6, topic:234835"]
You can find the present text here and here. It is side by side with the upcoming translation.

[/quote]

Thank you very much.

I'd asked for a missalette at my parish and the office person didn't know what I was talking about. :confused:

Every Church has the missalettes, and at least ours has the full current text for that year in four volumes.

The USCCB as a matter of principle does not gives permission for electronic reproduction for any liturgical texts.

[quote="bearer, post:8, topic:234835"]
Thank you very much.

I'd asked for a missalette at my parish and the office person didn't know what I was talking about. :confused:

[/quote]

Does your parish use a worship aid like "Breaking Bread" or the "St. Joseph Annual Sunday Missal"?

My parish brings in the Novalis "Sunday Missal". It's an annual publication that is sold to the parishioners just before Advent. We don't bring in anything else, so visitors won't find missalette in our parish. OTOH, our national hymnal, the Catholic Book of Worship III has the Ordinary of the Mass at the very beginning so if you know to look there you can follow along.

[quote="laszlo, post:9, topic:234835"]
Every Church has the missalettes,

[/quote]

Not so, many do not. Some parishes have made a conscious decision not to bring in disposables and some believe that we should be listening, not reading so they don't buy them for that reason.

[quote="Phemie, post:11, topic:234835"]
Not so, many do not. Some parishes have made a conscious decision not to bring in disposables and some believe that we should be listening, not reading so they don't buy them for that reason.

[/quote]

That's tough to do when there are so many proper names in the readings. Not to mention speakers with heavy accents, reading too quickly or too slowly, trying to remember that responsorial, and latecomer distractions. And English is especially tough as it has so many homophones. I'd be lost without that missalette.

Folks, your google-fu is waning. The 1973 Order of Mass is available here. You won't find the propers, but you will find all the (English) Eucharistic Prayers and most of the rest of the ordinary. (It appears to exclude the quiet prayers of the priest...)

Could someone please tell me where to find a PDF version of the third edition of the roman missal (English)? Please message me on here.

John

[quote="jpcowlin, post:14, topic:234835"]
Could someone please tell me where to find a PDF version of the third edition of the roman missal (English)? Please message me on here.

John

[/quote]

It is a copyrighted text which is not freely available online. If it has been posted anywhere, that would be illegal. So this is a bit like asking people here to point you toward a PDF of your favorite Harry Potter novel.

I do not know where and if you can find it online - I too, have looked, and not found anything. It is probably not available at all, as some others have pointed out (perhaps less gently than they could have).

Evidently it is copyrighted, but that did/does not necessarily have to have been the case, since the "intellectual property" here is the property of the entire Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.