Current TV becomes latest network to end stormy relationship with Keith Olbermann

Washington Post:

Current TV becomes latest network to end stormy relationship with Keith Olbermann

Current TV becomes the latest television network to sever a stormy relationship with famously fractious Keith Olbermann.
Current TV founders Al Gore and Joel Hyatt said in a letter to viewers that they decided to cut bait because the relationship no longer represented “the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers.”

Olbermann’s primetime show, “Countdown” has been replaced, effective immediately, by one anchored by former New York Governor/former CNN show anchor Eliot Spitzer.
Olbermann issued his own statement Friday, “It goes almost without saying that the claims against me implied in Current’s statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently.”

Olbermann’s humdinger of a statement continues:
“In due course, the truth of the ethics of Mr. Gore and Mr. Hyatt will come out. For now, it is important only to again acknowledge that joining them was a sincere and well-intentioned gesture on my part, but in retrospect a foolish one. That lack of judgment is mine and mine alone, and I apologize again for it.”

Good thing I didn’t give up Schadenfreude for Lent.
It will be cool if Oblermann’s legal actions actually go to court. Then he could testify about Gore’s ethics and Gore could testify about his journalistic qualities.

Current TV is pretty cutting edge and liberal, so what is it about Keith Olbermann’s ethics, or lack thereof, that he can’t make it on this and other stations? I’ve watched his show several times and it seems quite tame compared to some others. Is it something he does behind the scenes that gets him in trouble?

I don’t think Olberman’s ethics and politics are that different from Current TV’s. Both strongly support progressive programs and politics. When Keith was fired from CNBC I think the major problem he had with the network was that he came to require almost dictatorial control over the production and presentation of his program. Apparently Keith never learned about ‘sharing’ in kindergarten. It would seem that both networks, after a relatively short honeymoon, could not deal with Keith’s imperiousness. He also became considerably more unrestrained in his use of bad language after joining Current TV. Hopefully he’ll turn up somewhere else. He was arrogant and abrasive; but I’ll miss him - again.

Maybe the fact that his is prone to irrational, fact-devoid screeds? :shrug:

youtube.com/watch?v=QY_1ZlzyW5k

From Forbes:
Former Vice President Al Gore and Joel Hyatt, the heads of Current TV, have just fired their star anchorman, Keith Olbermann, who previously left MSNBC on bad terms. Gore and Hyatt released a statement saying that “the values of respect, openness, collegiality, and loyalty to our viewers . . . are no longer reflected in our relationship with Keith Olbermann and we have ended it.” According to Talking Points Memo, insiders say Olbermann missed almost half his working days in January and February and insisted on taking an unauthorized vacation day the day before Super Tuesday.

Here is a statement Olbermann just issued. I’d call it going ballistic, albeit in writing:
I think Olberamann should sue for wrongful termination and take everything Al Gore has…

:wink: <-- Note the emoticon use…

“I’m Joel Hyatt and you have my word on it.”

Mr. Olbermann is a man desperately in need of God’s mercy and truth. Of course, the same can also be said of his former employers. And his former employers before that.

I never understood him being picked up as a news anchor(MSNBC) after Sportscenter. Didn’t make much sense to me then. I guess it ended about as expected.

:thumbsup: wasn’t he strictly on a sports network before he joined one with a political nature? i think the fame all went to his head. he definitelly is in need of God’s mercy and truth as are his employers. i won’t miss him and i hope he won’t be given a 3rd chance as a political journalist or political anchor.

David Carr, the media columnist for the New York Times, isn’t a fan of Olbermann, but Carr doesn’t think we’ve seen the last of him either.

This is from ten weeks ago, when the inevitable breakup became obvious:

When I saw the story last week about Keith Olbermann and Current TV lawyering up, I couldn’t help thinking, My, that was quick.

Mr. Olbermann did excellent on-air work for CNN, Fox, ESPN, and MSNBC, but that never stopped him from burning bridges faster than they could be built. It rarely ended well in spite of his skills.

As it turned out, past performance was a good predictor of results going forward. Current executives have been reduced to communicating with their biggest talent through his manager and lawyer, with both sides working the media to get their story out. By creating drama in yet another high-profile assignment, Mr. Olbermann could be running out of options, but don’t bet the house on that, given how desperate cable channels are for anyone who can generate ratings, never mind the rough edges.

nytimes.com/2012/01/09/business/media/at-current-tv-keith-olbermann-is-trapped-inside-his-show.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

In a more recent article, Carr explains his theory of Olbermann’s omnipresence:

He is the equivalent of a supremely talented left-handed pitcher with a strong arm — and some obvious control issues — that can give whatever team hires him a lot of quality innings. On the bench and off the field? He will complain about his coach, his teammates, the quality of the field and the stadium lights.

Anchoring a show on television looks easy. Buy a nice suit, get a nice haircut and read the words on the prompter in the right order with some semblance of conviction. But it’s not. As cable stations proliferate, the desperate search for people who can credibly show up every night — or not, as Mr. Olbermann was frequently on strike at Current — and hold an audience’s attention will only become more acute. Mr. Olbermann has a terrible relationship with actual humans, but a very good relationship with the camera.

And that means he will find work. He is a free agent in a business that is remarkably akin to pro sports, full of divas who are great at hitting the curve or making impossible catches, but baffled by the rest of life. Think Terrell (“I love me some me”) Owens. Or Randy Moss. Or Babe Ruth. Or Ted Williams. Jerks, louts and narcissists, all tolerated because within the four corners of the diamond, the football field and, yes, the television studio, they can do what others cannot.

mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/31/keith-olbermann-machine-gun-for-hire/

I never understood him being picked up as a news anchor(MSNBC) after Sportscenter. Didn’t make much sense to me then. I guess it ended about as expected.

I’m with you, but it may be that he has a fairly interesting persona…and can be entertaining. He’s definitely not meant for serious news, whatever that may be now.

John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.