Cursed Items

Cursed items...and items in general that demons have attached themselves to for any reason? Thoughts? Catholics only please. Please cite any official and or approved sources that you can, but if all you have is your thoughts/feelings on the subject, that's okay too.

Please, let's not argue. I want to keep this as objective as possible.

I'm not sure what the Church's official position on it is. I've been reading the Malleus Maleficarum recently, though, and the Compendium Maleficarum. Those were never official Chruch teaching, but they are interesting to get some historical insights. The writers of those books seemed to think that an item could be cursed by binding a demon to it.

[quote="ChibiViolet, post:1, topic:319443"]
Cursed items...and items in general that demons have attached themselves to for any reason? Thoughts? Catholics only please. Please cite any official and or approved sources that you can, but if all you have is your thoughts/feelings on the subject, that's okay too.

Please, let's not argue. I want to keep this as objective as possible.

[/quote]

Thoughts? What thoughts? :) Items can be cursed for the purpose of causing harm to others through demons. The Church knows about this kind of stuff :shrug: Exorcists deal with a lot of this. There are a couple of books written by a few of them that mention them. I personally hope I never have anything to do with any truly cursed item, and I don't think demons can simply attach themselves to random objects, for they can only go as far as God allows them, in general, and God keeps them - I recall some saint said this - like a raging dog on a chain, so that they can't really hurt us unless it is us who get close enough to them.

In general I wouldn't worry about this, unless you have excellent reasons to believe a certain item is cursed. Then I'd speak to a priest.

Demons can be, and often are, attached to items that are used for divination/occult purposes. Ouija boards, tarot cards, crystal balls, etc...and all other items used for occult purposes attract demons. Someone who practices witchcraft or something along those lines can give you a "cursed" object also. The best thing to do with these things is to destroy and/or get rid of them. If there is diabolic infestation in the house, speak with a preist and have the house blessed.

Pray. Go to confession, go to Mass and take Communion, and speak with a preist to see if any more steps need to be taken.

Yes it is real. I speak from personal experience. You don't want to freak out over it, though, and start thinking there are cursed objects everywhere.

[quote="R_C, post:3, topic:319443"]
Thoughts? What thoughts? :) Items can be cursed for the purpose of causing harm to others through demons. The Church knows about this kind of stuff :shrug: Exorcists deal with a lot of this. There are a couple of books written by a few of them that mention them. I personally hope I never have anything to do with any truly cursed item, and I don't think demons can simply attach themselves to random objects, for they can only go as far as God allows them, in general, and God keeps them - I recall some saint said this - like a raging dog on a chain, so that they can't really hurt us unless it is us who get close enough to them.

In general I wouldn't worry about this, unless you have excellent reasons to believe a certain item is cursed. Then I'd speak to a priest.

[/quote]

What I'm most interested in finding out is whether or not it's of grave matter to handle things consecrated to a demon, cursed and or in any way having a demon attached to them. This is why I put this in Moral Theology, though I was afraid to ask it outright as I have asked many such questions before and thought it could potentially cause an argument.

As far as demons attaching themselves to objects of their own choosing goes, I know they do have the ability as I read such in Fr. Amorth's book, "An Exorcist Tells His Story." I trust him because he's the Vatican exorcist. Of course it goes without saying that they only do so when God allows.

[quote="ChibiViolet, post:6, topic:319443"]
What I'm most interested in finding out is whether or not it's of grave matter to handle things consecrated to a demon, cursed and or in any way having a demon attached to them.

[/quote]

I would think so, yes. Then again, it depends on the reason one is doing so. If this is something more than curiosity, then you want to address this issue directly with a priest :shrug:

I already have.

Most priests I asked about this said “I don’t know.” One said it is. The only reason I would use such an item or touch such an item is because it might be inconvenient not to. I have the ability to sense if an object is cursed for whatever reason so that’s why I’m concerned about it. I have had an experience with such an object that proved that I really do have this ability so that made it hard to ignore. I definitely know my chair is cursed because every time I sat in it, I felt weird and one time, when I sat in it for a long time, I felt very light-headed. I no longer sit in, and try to avoid even touching that chair.

I feel strongly that objects used for evil can be cursed and invite dark spirits in. As for a chair, I don’t know, but that’s still interesting. I know of an old farmhouse that squeaked and creaked and groaned. It was said to be haunted. Some time later, when it was being thoroughly cleaned out, a Ouija board was found stuffed somehow into the beams between the ceiling and the attic floor. The Ouija board was from the 1940’s or 50’s, I think. It was removed from the house altogether, but I would still feel darkness there.

It’s called a placebo effect. There are no such things as “cursed” items, however, with enough belief and coincidence, anyone can find something “cursed” if they happen to be experiencing repeated bad luck.

It’s not like that. The feeling about the chair just seemed to come at random and has stuck. Of course, you can believe whatever you want. What I really wish to know is if from a Catholic perspective, handling such things is of grave matter.

Isn’t this actually contrary to the Catholic faith, a sort of “psychic” power?

When I get home from work, I often sit in my chair and fall asleep. Does that mean my chair is cursed, too? Maybe we should both be a little more physically active.

I NEVER asked for this ability so where is the sin?

I do NOT think every single object on Earth is cursed. I said I get light-headed by sitting on the chair. It doesn’t make me want to sleep.

Another item I owned was cursed–my MP3 player. I had ignored the feeling and eventually it had gone away, but in time the songs began to skip–almost all the songs. I had it blessed by a priest and it hasn’t happened since.

Catholicism does not believe this sort of stuff is real.
It is superstition and is to be shunned for that reason.

Please reference a Church teaching for your unusual view that “demons attach to items”?

[quote=ChibiViolet]I want to keep this as objective as possible.
[/quote]

No discussion of demons and curses is going to be in any way objective. If you truly want an objective discussion, you would first need to establish beyond reasonable doubt that demons exist and that curses exist. Good luck with that.

Some priest friends of mine have worked in places in Africa where there were many witch doctors. When items or people were cursed very often the person/owner would be told that they were cursed - some were working on a placebo effect, with others there were definitely dark entities at work.

Just out of interest, when you say you have a cursed chair or MP3 player - who would have cursed them and why? A curse would usually be placed upon something/someone with the specific intent of causing the owner/individual harm. Would it not be an idea to get rid of these items if they are causing you anxiety?

I actually don’t have any real knowledge that might be helpful but would like to recommend you destroy the chair if you feel that way. In my mind then it can’t cause harm to anyone and would be rid of it.

As for the MP3 player, the player itself was never actually cursed, but music from a used CD was on there and I had sensed before that the CD is cursed. I have since lost that CD. It’s an album from the early 90’s and one of the songs has sacreligous lyrics, although I don’t have that particular song on there (the whole song isn’t sacrilegious, but one horrible part of a verse is. It’s not a Satanic album; that was out of unfortunately normal human anger.)

As for the chair, that I believe was unintentionally cursed by me whilst speaking in tongues, as my ability to do so comes from a demon. I used to to that a lot when I thought it was okay as long as I wasn’t open to saying certain things (like sacreligous things or words of Satanic worship.) I think this because I didn’t always feel that about the chair.

I think you would benefit from reg spiritual direction from an experienced priest.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.