Curses and Plagues

With all the things going on in the United States and other Christian countries, do you think it is a punishment from God?
New viruses, diseases, also draughts and floods. Comming from our own sinning. Like abortion laws, gay marriage, corruption, and also trying to seperate God from country.

No, I don’t believe the things you suggest are forms of punishment from God.

Why? Deut 28 mainly15 and then 58.

Rubbish. Matthew 24:6-7 “And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.”

New diseases, droughts and floods, even changes in the climate, have always been part of the natural process. Always have been, always will be, chastisement or not.

So God did not use natural disaster for punishment when His people where not following his laws? Did he not use his choosen people enemies against them?

We know he did, sometimes, we know many many more times they’ve happened simply because they happen.

Doesn’t matter or change how you should be living either way.

He did, but he warned people to turn away from their sins in very tangible ways before any catastrophes actually happened. Moses in Egypt and the Plagues, that guy whose wife turned into a pillar of salt after Sodam and Gohmorra (spelling?), and even more recently the letters of Fatima. There will be more tangible signs other than simple natural disasters. I could be wrong though. We may be in the end times. But I really dont think so. I’ll leave that to the Left Behind series. :smiley:

In a way, these things are “punishment” for sin. They are not God taking vengence, but rather God purifying sinners–those who bear those sufferings patiently, will be sanctified by them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.