Cuss words

Is using Cuss words a sin. I have heard many Catholics do it.
:shrug:

Lots of threads on this. The answer generally is “yes” if it’s cursing. Cussing is a whitewashed term for cursing.
Taking the Lord’s name in vain, violating the dignity of a person by calling them names, etc. is not good.

I would say there are certain words which I won’t include here that are definitely sinful. I don’t like cussing at all. There is a radio show my son listens to based out of California. The host is from Australiia. Every other word that comes out of his mouth is the “f” word. I told my son that people that talk that way show ignorance. I loathe that word and wish it could be erased from the English language.

Yes, I would say it is a sin. Curse words are typical of the reprobate, in my experience, which is a sure sign it isn’t moral. It could also cause a scandal if said before other people, especially non-Catholics.

I can’t tell you how many times I would be led astray by following the example of some other Catholics. At my school, they are quite vocal of their Catholic Faith and hear Mass every Sunday, yet they fornicate, get intoxicated, curse, and dress lasciviously. :frowning:

Yes.

I have heard many Catholics do it.
:shrug:

I hate to break this to you, but many Catholics commit sins. St. Peter denied Christ three times.

I would say that it depends on the context. Cussing at someone with malicious intent is obviously different than cussing when you step on a Lego.

Over the years, meaning of words do change, especially in different cultures. Look at a country like Australia where the c word is used as a term of endearment (social circle dependant of course). I saw a video a while back on how Australians use swear words in this context.

So in answer to your question I would generally say no, but that’s just my opinion.

I don’t understand why a Roman Catholic priest, Father Andrew Greeley, uses so many of these cuss words in his novels.

Ok. I just happened onto a priest when I was outside of a restaurant yesterday. He took my confession. Today I slammed the door almost on my foot and before even thinking I said, “Son of a --” to no one really. I hope it’s venial.

Ok you say yes. I was raised to agree. But what about Catechism. Should we be going by that? Another thing too would be is this venial or mortal.

Russia is now censoring out cuss words from movies shown in Russia.

Good. The US wouldn’t censor something that should be censored. Only everything else.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a2.htm

This is what I found. This is what would apply today. Not that the Bible doesn’t but the meaning of “cuss” words changes over time. That is, to what cuss words are. Now is this saying that you can not go before for example at court and swear to tell the truth? 2150 is what I am meaning. Then there’s Matt. 5:33-34. Which says swear NO oath. This adds more confusion to me.

Ephesians 4:29

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Ephesians 5:4

Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving.

There are some channels on tv that edit out the cuss words or dub over them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.