Customary colors worn by the congregation

I learned yesterday that it is customary for the congregation to wear red on Palm Sunday. Yes, I know that it’s not required, just a tradition, kind of like wearing green on St. Patrick’s day. But it made me wonder, are there other days that the congregation customarily wears a particular color? For example, do a lot of parishioners wear black to the Good Friday service? Just wondering.

oh interesting, i haven’t heard of this before:popcorn:

The only color is red for Pentecost…that’s all. Nothing for palm Sunday.

I believe your referring to the liturgical colors (liturgically red on Passion Sunday, martyrs Pentecost, for example - green ordinary time etc.) vestments, banners and such will bare the liturgical colors. Some of our lectors and Extraordinary Ministers of holy Communion will try to dress as such- definitely not required.

I saw a T- Shirt I want to get for a friend of mine who is a religious Sister. It says “My other Shirt is the correct liturgical color” !! I saw this after we had a discussion about not being able to afford to by clothes in all of the colors!

I have not heard of that tradition, although many people here do wear red on Pentecost. So I cannot comment.

No, I know the liturgical colors worn by the priests and deacons, etc. I was referring to the fact that a lot of the congregation was wearing red and my sponsor mentioned that she “forgot to wear red today.” I know it’s not required, perhaps it’s just a local tradition around here.
Thanks for your reply!

A lot of the parishioners at my parish wore red for Palm Sunday. Maybe not at yours, and of course I know it’s not a requirement anywhere (that I know of). Perhaps it is something local in my area.

A lot of the people in my parish do that too, especially the choir, EMHC, lectors, and such, but many people just in the congregation too. It doesn’t happen so much during Ordinary Time (that would be an awful lot of green clothes! :wink: ), but for major days and Advent and Lent, people will wear the appropriate liturgical color.

HMMM, wonder where that tradition started From?!:wink:
But any way, mnay of us do it because of liturgical Colors

Your welcomed for my first reply!

Yes it is customary to wear red on Palm Sunday and Pentecost. Also it is customary to wear pink on Gaudete Sunday (halfway thru Advent) and Laetare Sunday (halfway thru Lent). I don’t think there are any other days where it is customary to wear a particular color.

Sorry to be picky but the color is not “pink” its Rose. Advent & Lent colors are VIOLET not purple.

I have never heard of required colors for the congregation. I have seen this trend at OF Masses but not necessarily at EF Masses.

I think you can call it purple. The EF missalette for Holy Week I had on Sunday did refer to it as a “purple mass” (The priest’s chasuable, not cope).

Interestingly enough I find myself wearing purple every Sunday throughout Lent, as it’s pretty much the only color of blouses I own. Although, I do own a white one for convocation purposes. Perhaps I’ll stick to my unintentional wearing of liturgical colors for Easter Sunday. :smiley:

I tend to wear “pink” when Father wears “rose” and purple when he wears “violet.” I don’t own any clothes that are rose or violet. I also wear red for Pentecost.

In fact, many at our parish wear red. Last year, Father mentioned that we were a “sea of red.” :thumbsup: But of course it isn’t required. :shrug:

This is what happens when you don’t have enough festive customs that really are lay participation events – like eucharistic processions and patron saint festivals. People start imitating the clergy (or School Spirit Day in high school) instead. It’s very American, but it doesn’t seem particularly Catholic.

There’s nothing wrong with it, but there’s nothing right with it, either. Much better to let loose with the rose petals on Pentecost, or have a big feast in King Arthur’s hall at which nobody eats until somebody shows up with a wonder, or send a dove puppet whizzing over the congregation from the choir loft, or play with fire and set off fireworks. You know, normal stuff, not all this lay copying of clerical vestment colors.

My first inclination was to scoff at this view. But as Americans apparently changed the Advent wreath colors to reflect those of the liturgical vestments on the corresponding Sundays, there may be something to your idea.:hmmm:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.