D.C. Public Schools homework assignment asks 6th graders to compare Bush to Hitler

A D.C. public school gave a sixth grade class a homework assignment that required students to draw comparisons between former President George W. Bush and Adolf Hitler.

The assignment was given out this week at McKinley Tech Middle School in Northeast and has angered at least one parent who complained about the homework.

The parent, who asked not to be named, said when he called the school office to complain he was told that the assignment was part of a curriculum unit approved by the school system. He said his sixth-grader’s class had been studying both the Holocaust and the Iraq war.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/10/dc-public-schools-homework-assignment-compare-bush/#ixzz3D1rGYyPn
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Teaching children critical thinking? To disagree with the liberal/progressive agenda is evil. All with public $.

Do you think next week’s assignment will compare Obama to Stalin?

Doubt it! More likely a comparison between O and Jesus Christ:rolleyes:

It’s a public school…probably to Gandhi.

Hitler was a madman who hated the Jews. Bush never ordered the execution of six million Jews.

Unbelievable…but not any more; seemes anything goes in the liberal schools.
Mary.

God forbid anyone read the article all the way through:

A spokeswoman for D.C. Public Schools said the two readings were among suggested curriculum the school system had previously approved but that the texts were not meant to be compared in the manner assigned by the teacher.

“The teacher deeply regrets this mistake, and any suggestion to malign the presidency or make any comparison in this egregious way,” spokeswoman Melissa Salmanowitz said.

Read more: washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/10/dc-public-schools-homework-assignment-compare-bush/#ixzz3D26vRAzx
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Right on,good point!:wink:

Actually, based on what I’ve heard about The Beatles (from John Lennon), the President should probably be compared to them…

I can’t believe I’m quoting myself here, but I just realized that my joke may have some truth to it. The cover of Foreign Policy this month asks “Can Obama Save Himself?”…

Don’t buy it! She did not mean to " malign the presidency"? But maybe she meant to malign the former president? She made this assignment up out of whole cloth?

Brings to mind the rap song teachers in some public schools were teaching their very young students: “Barack Hussein Obama mmm mmm mmm”

The text about Hitler is part of the current suggested curriculum and the text about Mr. Bush was part of last year’s curriculum, Ms. Salmanowitz said.

I like the part in the video where it says to teach about the Iraq War and that there were no weapons of mass detruction.

I hope this is not a part of the new common core as it seems teachers don’t even understand how the material is to be presented.

Oh yeah,the comment about being more popular than Jesus;)

:rolleyes:

Oh, I’m totally sure it was just an innocent mistake. Totally.

This president is less popular than “none of the above”, except maybe in inner city public schools. Even that could change if the children learn to read.

A close family member lives in D.C. and works for the Federal government. She frequently comments that in many ways the District exists in an alternate reality.

Here here! I’m just north of the border in MD and the place is incredible. Rampant corruption in the local government (I can’t think of the last mayor who wasn’t investigated for fraud / embezzlement, not to mention the DC City Council), constant defiance of federal law, the whole place seems like a joke.

DC decriminalized marijuana recently (which the Federal Government told them they couldn’t do), making it a $25 fine to possess less than a certain amount, which never increases. A local news radio website listed all of the local things that cost more than the fine, such as a dozen cupcakes from Georgetown Cupcake (about $36).
It may have changed since, but I think in the first month of the decriminalization, 0 marijuana citations were issued in the District. Seems a little strange to me, almost as if they weren’t even trying to enforce drug laws at all…but surely they deserve to be a state…

That teacher should not only be fired, she should be prosecuted for sedition and treason. :mad:

Exactly. The article also says

A copy of the assignment, made by the parent, instructs students to draw examples from two texts they were assigned and to fill in a Venn diagram with similarities and differences between the two men.

“Compare” in this assignment also means “contrast”. By proposing a Venn diagram the teacher is clearly inviting the students to cite differences as well as similarities. I think it is an excellent example of encouraging logical thought.

So you get fined for not owning marijuana there? What is the world coming there.

Apologies - “up to a certain amount”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.