D Day June 6 1944

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/MEPOD/10081616-FB.jpg

D-Day, the Battle of Normandy

The Battle of Normandy was fought during World War II in the summer of 1944, between the Allied nations and German forces occupying Western Europe. More than 60 years later, the Normandy Invasion, or D-Day, remains the largest seaborne invasion in history, involving nearly three million troops crossing the English Channel from England to Normandy in occupied France.

u-s-history.com/pages/h1749.html

Merci

Nous nous rappellerons toujours

Mai tout n’oublie jamais

Thank you for this thread. One of my uncles was involved in that operation. I knew that but he never mentioned what he did. It wasn’t until later years that I realized what he must have went through. When I asked he just humbly said, “I did what I had to do just like everyone else.” What a reminder that freedom is not free but paid for in blood, tears and sacrifice. So would we also do well today to be gracious for the grace of Christ who nailed our sin to His cross with His blood stained hands and feet and died our death that we might live. To me there is no greater sacrifice in history than what the Lord has done. May God Bless all our veterans,
In Christ, Erchomai Kyrios.

Just finished watching the ceremonies at Normandy. Very moving especially the four planes flying and one leaving upward for the heavens. God bless them all and their families who had to go on without them.

I really would like an explanation as to why the Queen of England wasn’t invited. The Queen is the last head of state who remembers the days of WWII. She served also. Her family insisted on staying in London offering support to Londoners who were being bombed nightly. She and her family were prime targets of the Germans. What gives?

Prince Charles did attend. I’m sure this was to support the British vets who are very ticked at their Queen not receiving an invite.

I’d like to remember Angelo Guliani who was a private with the US Army from New Jersey.

He told us of the bodies on the beach. The sacrifices. Angelo made it through the war and returned home to raise a family with three beautiful girls,and establish two successful businesses. He was a generous and good friend to my husband and to me and to our sons. He died in his 60s. After making it through the war, he was brutally attacked during a robbery. He never recovered psychologically. Thank you Angelo.

Also Clayton Bauer who fought with the 82 Airborne. I believe he was awarded the Bronze Star. In the 1970s, he and his wife visited some of the areas. He was telling his stories in a bar where many US Air Force personnel were in attendence. He was not aware that all had stopped talking to hear him. When he finished, he turned around. All stood up and saluted him. God bless you, Clay.

I will remember them … I will be at Mass this evening…
God Bless all who serve and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice

I offered my Rosary this morning at a little shrine near my home for the souls of all those who died this day: Americans, British, Canadians, French [Free French forces and civilians]…and the Germans [the ‘ordinary’ soldiers were just as much ‘victims’ of the Nazis as anyone who lived through the occupation of Europe].

It’s true, what was said above…freedom is NOT FREE! Freedom sometimes has to be preserved through the blood, tears and sweat of the battlefields!

And speaking of the Brits-I got a call this week from a priest-friend of mine in northern England. He said something about the Queen not going to this year’s Normandy commemoration. I know she was there in 2004 for the 60th anniversary.

Thank you. I will be doing same also for my father who was injured during the Invasion of Sicily and was awarded the Purple Heart, for my father of my college roommate who drowned in the Pacific during a landing, for a family friend who was one of the first into a concentration camp after making it all the way into Germany.

We were fortunate to have visited Normandy twice. If you ever have the chance, go. Very moving. You can’t help but be overcome with emotion.

At Arnhem, Holland, we were visiting the War Museum there and a former Dutch Resistance member, now in his late 70s, asked us if he could take us on tour of some of the war sites. Apparently, those who served in whatever capacity, look to find tourists interested in knowing about the War. At the end, he took us to see the cemetary were the majority buried there were Brits. He asked us if we noticed anything strange. Well, the Jewish service men were buried under two names: their legal name which indicated they were Jews, and an Anglo name which they served under used in case they were caught by the Germans.

Thank you for posting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.