Da vinci code points of view

hola:

i like to hear your coments of the Dan Brown book and what your church thinks about it…

i start… i am catholic, i have not read the book and i already hate it.
also here is a link (hope you can see it because is suscription only) about a nun who pray for 12 hours outside Lincoln church in london where tom Hanks was filming the code, also it will be filmed on Winchester cathedral and rosslyn chappel.

hope you know spanish hahahahahahaha

busquedas.gruporeforma.com/utilerias/imdservicios3W.DLL?JSearchformatS&file=MTY/NORTE01/00461/00461388.htm&palabra=codigo%20da%20vinci&siteelnorte

Man, I have to say I have read bits and pieces of the book, but not the whole thing nor am I interested in doing so. I think its garbage, because its suppose to be a fiction novel yet he writes it as historical fact. There are some debunker books on the Da Vinci Code, There are even videos out there, the history channel even had an episode on it. All it does is take bits and pieces of truth and mix it with speculation and lies. I am reminded of Christ words in the Gospel of John when he says that Satan is the father of all lies. It gets me upset beacuse what it does is lead people further away from the truth. :mad:

I refuse to read it but have heard enough to know that it is the heresy of gnosticism being reformulated and regurgitated back onto society. Everywhere I go–I mean everywhere–friends and family–this book is laying on a coffee table. It boggles the mind that so many have purchased this heap of dung by Dan Brown. And people really do believe the lies that he proposes!!! This is more dangerous than people realize. When the movie is released, the heresy will spread further. I am highly disturbed and disappointed with Tom Hanks and Ron Howard. They know not what they do!

Mickey, your so right I did not want to be the one to say it but it is a load of pooh. :slight_smile: I am also very disapointed in Tom Hanks.

I hear they (film crew)got rejected from Lincoln where the nun was protesting in prayer. Then I heard they got accepted at the other cathedral after literally paying the priest 800,000 pounds if I remember right. Are these catholic churches? I honestly believe that someone who allows his church to be used to film something that obviously supports the work of the devil is a devil-worshipper himself.
I myself haven’t allowed my eyes to have even a glimpse of that book co-authored by satan. Mother Mary has in many occasions advised us on the effect of bad books and how the devil is using every means possible to confuse people, and that we should always read good and holy books.

I have read it, along with two other books written by Brown. I have to admit I enjoyed it, but, I read it with the knowledge that it is pure fiction. You know the movie “Men in Black” with Jones and Smith, it has about as much fact as the Da vinci code. Yes there is a nation called the United States, Yes, there is a state named “New York” after these facts it’s pure fiction. That’s the mindset I read the code in, and it wasn’t a terrible book, actually it’s so fanticiful it’s funny at points. It’s a mystery not a history book. In his book angels and demons (which I thought was terrible) he goes out of his way to let you know it’s fiction, he has a man fall out of a helicopter from several thousand feet, and survive the fall. Anyone out there believe that? I certainly hope not!

Agreed. But sadly, many read this book and accept it as the gospel truth. The father of lies is lovin’ Dan Brown. Did you ever consider that when you buy his books you are helping to enable him to write his next satanic discourse?

I read it, simply because I didn’t want to criticize something without having first-hand knowledge of it. No offense Tom, but aside from the blasphemous parts, I found the “mystery” element and the general writing style to be weak. I thought the dialogue was not well written at all, and the flow of the story was, well, goofy. The ideological and theological problems with the book are frankly disgusting and were very hard to read, but they too were so poorly developed and silly, that it was hard to take seriously. Brown’s logic seems to flow from unchallenged yet readily accepted premise to premise, eventually leading to the truly ridiculous. One example of this “logic” that I remember was the main character (I think) “figuring out” a connection between the Mona Lisa and a fleur-di-lis. It went something like this: “Fleur-di-lis — flower of Lisa — Mona Lisa!!!” Wow, that’s brillant…

[quote=Tom]I have read it, along with two other books written by Brown. I have to admit I enjoyed it, but, I read it with the knowledge that it is pure fiction. You know the movie “Men in Black” with Jones and Smith, it has about as much fact as the Da vinci code. Yes there is a nation called the United States, Yes, there is a state named “New York” after these facts it’s pure fiction. That’s the mindset I read the code in, and it wasn’t a terrible book, actually it’s so fanticiful it’s funny at points. It’s a mystery not a history book. In his book angels and demons (which I thought was terrible) he goes out of his way to let you know it’s fiction, he has a man fall out of a helicopter from several thousand feet, and survive the fall. Anyone out there believe that? I certainly hope not!
[/quote]

this goes for everyone, MEN IN BLACK is cool (love frank the dog)
but tell me this:

DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT GO SEE A MOVIE WHERE YOUR MOTHER IS BEING OFENDED IN ANYWAY, DO YOU LIKE TO READ THE NOVEL…AFTER ALL IS ONLY FICTION, NOW INSTEAD OF YOUR FAMILY PUT…
GOD,
JESUS,
MARY,
THE CHURCH.

Do you still want to read it??? or see it???

[quote=miguel delgado]this goes for everyone, MEN IN BLACK is cool (love frank the dog)
but tell me this:

DID YOU OR DID YOU NOT GO SEE A MOVIE WHERE YOUR MOTHER IS BEING OFENDED IN ANYWAY, DO YOU LIKE TO READ THE NOVEL…AFTER ALL IS ONLY FICTION, NOW INSTEAD OF YOUR FAMILY PUT…
GOD,
JESUS,
MARY,
THE CHURCH.

Do you still want to read it??? or see it???
[/quote]

I read it prior to all of the controversy, and no, I didn’t pay for it, it was given to me. It didn’t affect my faith in any way, but again, I read it as pure fiction. Actually the errors are very obvious, I was amazed anyone took them seriously, I still am. I didn’t mean to sound like I thought it was a great work, it wasn’t, neither are the other two he wrote, one was terrible, the other (nothing to do about the Church) was fairly predictable. He’s a poor to fair writer who is cashing in on the moment. I’ve read better, and I’ve read worse. I wouldn’t go see the movie, but for no other reason than it wasn’t “that” interesting. I’ve never read the “cracking” the code books because they didn’t need to be cracked for me, to me it was fiction. Perhaps he had an evil intent, but reading his work, I really think that’s a little deep for him. At any rate I am amazed ayone is even discussing the book.

I forced myself to read the book because, as an apologist, it makes you more credible when you are critical of something if you can say you at least tried to read it. I took the same tack with the first “Left Behind” book (don’t worry–I borrowed them both from the library to avoid putting money into either writer’s pocket). The first thing people will ask you when you criticize it is “Well, did you read it?” If not, the conversation goes down pretty fast from there. This is not to say I would allow my children at home or other impressionable people to read it, but as a mature Catholic with a better than average knowledge of the faith and critical reasoning abilities, I figured it was worth the sacrifice.

Having said that, the book itself has almost no redeeming qualities as literature. If I were stuck at an airport for hours with absolutely nothing to do, it would be better than counting ceiling tiles, I guess. As noted before the writing style and storyline itself is juvenile and the so-called mystery is —to put it charitably–pretty dopey. It would be not worth discussing except for the amazing fact that there are more than a few people who will read this and accept it as fact (no matter what the weak disclaimer at the front of the book says) and correspondingly form erroneous views of history and the Church, and spout this misinformation off to others. I’ve met lots of these people and they get angry when you tell them that what they think about these things is a bunch of hooey.

For everything you need to know about this book, go here…

carl-olson.com/abouttdvc.html

Having said

[quote=Fidelis]It would be not worth discussing except for the amazing fact that there are more than a few people who will read this and accept it as fact (no matter what the weak disclaimer at the front of the book says) and correspondingly form erroneous views of history and the Church, and spout this misinformation off to others. I’ve met lots of these people and they get angry when you tell them that what they think about these things is a bunch of hooey.

[/quote]

People who believed this nonsense were around before The DaVinci Code, or did anyone honestly think this weak writer could come up with all of this one his own? Have any of you read Holy Blood, Holy Grail? It’s a much earlier work in the same vein, but it doesn’t even claim to be fiction. People have been believing these lies for a long time. The fact that people can be persuaded by such a ridiculous piece of self-avowed fiction is what’s so amazing to me.

[quote=Kristina P.]People who believed this nonsense were around before The DaVinci Code, or did anyone honestly think this weak writer could come up with all of this one his own? Have any of you read Holy Blood, Holy Grail? It’s a much earlier work in the same vein, but it doesn’t even claim to be fiction. People have been believing these lies for a long time. The fact that people can be persuaded by such a ridiculous piece of self-avowed fiction is what’s so amazing to me.
[/quote]

Yeah, I read both of these books. Nothing really new in there, as far as theories go. Just re-packaged and re-released, in my opinion. Stuff like this comes around in cycles…

Mike

[quote=Kristina P.]People who believed this nonsense were around before The DaVinci Code, or did anyone honestly think this weak writer could come up with all of this one his own? Have any of you read Holy Blood, Holy Grail? It’s a much earlier work in the same vein, but it doesn’t even claim to be fiction. People have been believing these lies for a long time. The fact that people can be persuaded by such a ridiculous piece of self-avowed fiction is what’s so amazing to me.
[/quote]

I read both. I hope the HBHG authors have been compensated for Brown’s plagiarism – I’m guessing they have been since they are willing participants in all the TV documentaries about The DVC.

Both books, though, present their theories as facts, so the “its only a novel” excuse is no excuse. The characters and action are made up, but the history is supposed to be real – its not a fantasy set in an alternate Europe. Brown acts like he believes his fake history and fake theology, and he acts like he expects his readers to learn something new from his novel. Perhaps this is only hype intended to increase sales, in which case he lies about his lies in order to make money. I think that counts as criminal fraud.

There are lots of articles and books debunking the fraud, mostly written by Catholics/Christians as they are the ones slandered. Here is a list of refutations which links to mostly secular sources on the web: www.shsu-catholic.org/da-vinci-con.htm

This might be a bit cynical, but I truly believe Hollywood wanted to respond some how to Mel Gibson’s success with The Passion of the Christ. They saw the run away success of Brown’s book as the answer. What they fail to see is the reason Da Vinci Code is so popular is that people are hungering for the truth about Christ. Brown’s book is sooooo easy to poke sooooo many holes in, that the movie is likely to have a limited success as people will know far ahead of time that it’s pure fiction. Why would you want to see a fictional story about Christ when you’re seeking the truth? This movie will be one of Hank’s worst bombs.

I read the book a while back. Not taking the anti Catholic stuff in it into account, the book is pathetic. The mystery is stupid, the ending is anti climatic and predictable and the way in which it is written is deeply flawed, boring, flat, and plain stupid. There was one part where they were trying to figure out one of the ‘clues’ and it was sooooooo stupid I laughed out loud. So, the book is trash any way you look at it.

You’re right, hollywood! Haven’t read the book, will not read it. Can’t believe Hanks agreed to do this movie.

[quote=Oren]I read the book a while back. Not taking the anti Catholic stuff in it into account, the book is pathetic. The mystery is stupid, the ending is anti climatic and predictable and the way in which it is written is deeply flawed, boring, flat, and plain stupid. There was one part where they were trying to figure out one of the ‘clues’ and it was sooooooo stupid I laughed out loud. So, the book is trash any way you look at it.
[/quote]

I agree. It was extremely unpleasant to read. I expected the pseudo-history/theology to be slowly hinted at until a big dramatic revelation – but no, by the second or third (short) chapter, Brown is hitting you over the head with his theories paraded as fact and common knowledge. As he has his characters explain the “truth” to each other, it read like a long, contrived sermon. It was like the worst parody of a Platonic dialogue:

Langdon: Do you know why the Little Mermaid has red hair, Sophie?

Sophie: I cannot begin to know the answer, Robert. Perhaps you two scholars of high repute, Robert Langdon the Harvard sybologist, and Sir Leigh Teabing, eccentric scholar of Grail lore, can enlighten me.

Langdon: As any educated person knows, Walt Disney made it his life’s quiet work to pass on the secret of the Holy Grail.

Sophie: I still do not understand.

Teabing: He is right, my dear Sophie. As we have made painfully clear, the true meaning of the Holy Grail is Mary Magdalene, and our dear mother Mary is well known to have had red hair. Do you remember Da Vinci’s Last Supper?

Sophie: Of course I do.

Teabing: What color is Mary’s hair there?

Sophie: Why, red, of course.

Langdon: And what color hair does the Little Mermaid have.

Sophie: Why, red as well!

Langdon: And now do you know the reason?

Sophie: I think so, but I would be most pleased to hear it from you.

Langdon: Since both Mary Magdalene and the Little Mermaid have red hair, can there be any other reason than that Walt Disney was secretly teaching the secrets of the Holy Grail in a most clandestine and veiled manner?

Teabing: Most secretively.

Sophie: By the dog, Robert, it must be so. I cannot see how I did not understand it before! The nasty and nefarious Church with its sinister and bad Vatican plots must have blinded me to the truth until now. But now that you have said it, I feel that this must be the reason. It feels so much better to suppose that there is this connection instead of engaging in tiresome and boring thinking.

Teabing: My dear Langdon, I believe that our dear Sophie has become as enlightened as we are. Anyone who does not want to be ridiculed by us and our superior ideas will also have to agree.

Langdon: By the dog, my dear Sir Leigh, it must be so.

Here is a link to Lincoln Cathedral, it looks like an Anglican Church.
lincolncathedral.com/

Scylla

aridite,
That was the funniest thing I’ve read in awhile. It actually makes me want to check the book out of the library and read the whole thing, as it must obviously be good for a laugh!
Kristina

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.