Dad and brother are really starting to worry me

I’ve really getting irritated with the attitudes of my dad and my brother towards my faith. Dad is a non-practicing Protestant, and my brother is a fallen-away Catholic. Every time I try to make a religious statement, they will mock it in some way or another. For example, my brother always quotes the sacreligious commentary on South Park. Meanwhile, very lately dad’s been watching all this hooey on the history channel of people who say God is an alien. He also watches Two and a Half Men, which makes fun of Catholic priests :mad:.

What can I do? I’ve been praying for them, and I’m losing my patience. I’ve had just about enough of this cr*p.

I don’t have any advice but understand how you feel. I just came back from Christmas with my family. My brother was on my case about religion. Actually said that the world would be a better place if God did remove all the religious people. That religion is the cause of all the problems. And of course, he spent God part of his rant ripping apart the Catholic Church and then started on the bishops, cardinals and popes. I am just exhausted trying to defend my faith. Then he talks about how atheist are treated. Yeah, right.

Blessed are you! Hey, you just got in some Beatitude time.

Instead of anger and frustration, just loving them anyway as good witness. Don't even try to get into religious conversations with them--it's a point of pain, obviously.

Outlove, outserve, shine your light. :thumbsup:

I am sorry you are going through that. It is definitely annoying.

Look at it as an opportunity to learn some good comebacks.

But that’s the whole reason for Christmas! I’m out of town right now and we’re all cooped up in my grandparents’ house, so I really don’t have a choice. I try to be a good role model for them, and all they do is make fun of me.

The point of Christmas is not getting into arguments about religion with family members. You go about your devotions and going to Mass, no need for discussion.

They will only soften if they see you becoming a better, more loving person because of your faith. So, preach the gospel without words. Outlove, outserve.

And blessed are you when you are persecuted for Jesus. Your reward is great in Heaven. Offer it up. :thumbsup:

JackVK:

I have to wonder if we might be part of the same family?? I had this same problem with my cousins. All grown men and relished in pokin a bit of fun at me too. They use to be alter boys and now they know more than God. This ticked me off so badly I finally had to speak with my Priest about it as I was getting quite angry around my family, so much so, that I wanted to avoid them. Here was his advice, He said:

Pray the Beautitudes. Very much the same advice as kentuckyliz has given you. It took about a solid year but both of my cousins are back at Mass and they no longer poke fun at Catholicism.

Learning to be silent and praying for them was hard for me because I wanted to lay it on them but I am glad I followed my Priests advice. Everything worked out and there are no hard feelings.

[quote="JackVk, post:1, topic:223820"]
I've really getting irritated with the attitudes of my dad and my brother towards my faith. Dad is a non-practicing Protestant, and my brother is a fallen-away Catholic. Every time I try to make a religious statement, they will mock it in some way or another. For example, my brother always quotes the sacreligious commentary on South Park. Meanwhile, very lately dad's been watching all this hooey on the history channel of people who say God is an alien. He also watches Two and a Half Men, which makes fun of Catholic priests :mad:.

What can I do? I've been praying for them, and I'm losing my patience. I've had just about enough of this cr*p.

[/quote]

When people do this, they are usually looking for a reaction. Just cool it and go about your business. Don't react. Remember to honor your Father--don't argue with him. He's a grown man and can watch what he wants. And arguing with your brother will likely cause him to increase the behavior. He'll probably get tired of trying to provoke you if he's not getting a reaction from you, 'cause it won't be any fun any more, although he might try harder at first.

I've really getting irritated with the attitudes of my dad and my brother towards my faith. Dad is a non-practicing Protestant, and my brother is a fallen-away Catholic. Every time I try to make a religious statement, they will mock it in some way or another. For example, my brother always quotes the sacreligious commentary on South Park. Meanwhile, very lately dad's been watching all this hooey on the history channel of people who say God is an alien. He also watches Two and a Half Men, which makes fun of Catholic priests :mad:.

What can I do? I've been praying for them, and I'm losing my patience. I've had just about enough of this cr*p.

[/quote]

Don't ever lose your faith or trust in God. He will never put you in a situation that you can't overcome or get through. Keep praying and never lose hope! Ask your Guardian Angel for help when things get tough......

-Rebecca

I'm just a regular christian. I had a powerful conversion experience when I was 21..I am know 60.I learned early that God uses people around us like sandpaper to polish us into His image..I learned to ask Him what in me has to change so I can see/respond to them the way He would.
Over the years flesh has burned off through this....I have the blessing of many family members
who are passionate christians and a close family..Before we open gifts we each share whats going on in our lives....Many sharing what God is doing in their ... My oldest brother in law who needs Christ wept as he shared how the family cared for him after his stroke..I can just see him wanting to know more..The younger ones seeing the older's faith...Ask the Lord to do what ever it takes to be the best example to them, but be prepared for Him to work in you first...Grace and peace to you beloved in Christ....May He draw you closer in these last days..

I agree with the above poster that said they are just looking for a reaction most likely. That being said - the History Channel has done some good series on the Early Church and Protestant Reformation that actually puts the Church in a positive light - maybe next time saying to your brother yes- I like the history channel have you seen this series or this one or this one could cause him to realize there is more out there. After all there is much more intelligent life than South Park.

[/quote]

That's rather sad. I really wouldn't mock anyone's religion....now I do confess I will go on about the silliness of belief in a deity with people who are of the same mindset as me, but-I'd respect others' religious beliefs....I'm not going to mock someone of faith, that's rather cruel.

HOWEVER...if someone wants to go on about how I am wrong to question the existence of God....opens the door to a debate, so to speak, sometimes I will jump right in and try to speak my mind....sometimes. When I am visiting friends and family....um, no.
I'm not one to annoy people just 'cause.

Funny. My friends (who are religious) took my son to Christmas Eve services (I was at work), and my friend was telling me this AM that when the pastor was speaking about welcoming all people of faith, even those who QUESTION faith, she looked right at my son (she knows my son is an atheist). It's a small church, mind, so I am quite sure my son was a tad uncomfortable, but he didn't complain. He was there to respect my friend's faith:D
However, he didn't receive communion, my friend said. I gather they were trying to get him to receive communion (they are Episcopalian).
Did my son complain? No. Did I? No. I know they meant well.

[/quote]

They may have problems and the attitudes should clue you in, that they need religion .... Not to talk about religion, but help with some of their life's problems. Maybe they need an ear to listen, a friend for a game of cards, a companion for a beer, perhaps it is a serious illness that is being hid, or, a bad marriage, etc. Ask them, why are they suffering (and taking it out on you!).

My sister does that. She is miserable for various reasons, and, beats up on me!

[quote="CB_Catholic, post:8, topic:223820"]
When people do this, they are usually looking for a reaction. Just cool it and go about your business. Don't react. Remember to honor your Father--don't argue with him. He's a grown man and can watch what he wants. And arguing with your brother will likely cause him to increase the behavior. He'll probably get tired of trying to provoke you if he's not getting a reaction from you, 'cause it won't be any fun any more, although he might try harder at first.

[/quote]

Good advice. If they aren't getting a reaction out of you, it will stop being so fun. Staying calm and living the gospels in word and deed also have a big impact on people because they really do notice when the Holy Spirit is shining out through someone! Having family members who are hostile to your religion is a frustrating cross to bear, but if you pray for them and be a good witness you have the potential to turn them around or at least soften their stance.

I use the Serenity prayer quite a bit, at least the first part of it. God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change (others), the courage to change the things I can (me) and the wisdom to know the difference.

And, as others have suggested, ask God to help you know what it is he wants from you in that situation. You don’t have to be the best apologist and work for conversion. Pray that your father’s heart will be softened, that your brother will see a need for mercy in his life. Pray that through your life and love, they will see what faith can do. Try to be patient, and turn them both and your frustration over to the Cross. Think of that Cross!!! He died for your father’s sins and your brother’s as well as your own. Whenever I think I can’t take any more (of whatever it is), I think of the cross. And I am humbled, and I can go on again.

Christmas seems to draw out all the Satan in some people. You’ll get through it. Pray a lot.

I understand the worry part, we generally attribute meanness at Christmas time to their burdens, whether it is my brother or sister. Sometimes, misinformation. A parishioner said, don't worry, pray. If I were you, since it is so serious, and will maybe continue, sign up for Eucharistc Adoration weekly. ... This way, and with confession and Mass attendance, you'll be able to keep, through Him, some happiness despite the grief. I actually asked one to help the other this year.

That’s just unforgivable. My parents watch it too, for some reason.

What is so bad about that show?:confused::confused:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:18, topic:223820"]
What is so bad about that show?:confused::confused:

[/quote]

I don't know but is it something you would want to watch with Jesus as your guest ? I don't know what is is about as I don't watch sitcom/network shows...

What is NOT so bad about it? :confused::confused: The horrible acting, the actors themselves, the sickeningly un-funny jokes, and not to mention the constant glorification of promiscuity (even by today’s standards)… Don’t make me go on - please! :nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.