Dad at 13

Baby-faced Alfie, who is 13 but looks more like eight, became a father four days ago when his girlfriend Chantelle Steadman gave birth to 7lb 3oz Maisie Roxanne.

He told how he and Chantelle, 15, decided against an abortion after discovering she was pregnant.

The shy lad, whose voice has not yet broken, said: “I thought it would be good to have a baby.

“I didn’t think about how we would afford it. I don’t really get pocket money. My dad sometimes gives me £10.”

Read the rest here

Of course, in reality Alfie became a father nine months ago. But in any case, he needs to get job training and go on a trip to find himself (with a time limit – say, three or four days) and return and marry Chantelle. And she needs to learn a skill soon too. I hope their economy is functional right now – with the world situation as it is, I don’t assume such a thing automatically. It might be good to start their married life in a group home or live for a few years with in-laws in order to get used to their responsibilities slowly.
Thank God they chose life.:thumbsup: And may they now choose a stable responsible life, as hard as that is in the turbulent early teen years.

The grandparents will be taking care of another baby. Back in the day, as often as not, the grandmother would pretend that it was her child rather than her grandchild, just to avoid the scandal.

Having seen the grandparents interviewed on TV, I have to say the child would be better off with a 13 year old father than them.

The story has horrified the whole country. I honestly think the grandparents only informed the press in order to get money and fame from it. It’s happened before here.
The tabloid press is a total disgrace also.

Their marriage is illegal for at least another 3 years. Absolute minimum age for marriage here is 16. He also can’t work more than a paper round or as a pot boy (collecting glasses in a pub), 10 hours a week. I think we passed the 2 million unemployed mark last week, so finding a job is going to be tough for mini dad and mini mum.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.