Daily caffeine 'protects brain'

tinyurl.com/2ujr89

** Daily caffeine ‘protects brain’**

Coffee may cut the risk of dementia by blocking the damage cholesterol can inflict on the body, research suggests.

The drink has already been linked to a lower risk of Alzheimer’s Disease, and a study by a US team for the Journal of Neuroinflammation may explain why.

A vital barrier between the brain and the main blood supply of rabbits fed a fat-rich diet was protected in those given a caffeine supplement.
UK experts said it was the “best evidence yet” of coffee’s benefits.

The “blood brain barrier” is a filter which protects the central nervous system from potentially harmful chemicals carried around in the rest of the bloodstream.
Other studies have shown that high levels of cholesterol in the blood can make this barrier “leaky”.

I knew I was doing something right!

Forget John 3:16!! Drink Green Tea (has caffeine too) and you’ll live forever. Ray Kurzweil does that.

I hope the energy crisis is solved… I do not want to live forever on a sub-Kardashev I planet that is a resource-depleted hellhole.

On a jocular note… I want to live forever. Caffeine might protect the brain. But is there anything that prevents proton decay (not yet empirically verified) and the consequences of the second law?

How about inventing a quantum teleportation device that will transport you to another universe in the multiverse that is not so volitile? Now as far as preventing your own protons from decaying…there’s MSG.

Heat death sounds unpleasant. I don’t like to be cold.

So I guess my daily can of Mountain Dew is helpful then. :cool:

Green tea is better than Mountain Dew. Only problem is that if you take a day off, you get headaches.

Caffine addiction is like any other, just not as hard to kick.

well I don’t want to live forever unless my brain is protected, so thanks to OP for a bit of good news I really need today. Java nice day.

Yet those headaches can be very intense. I took a Dew break a few years ago and ended up being very cranky with terrible headaches. It is hard to break totally away from caffeine, as it is in so many common things.

So, does anyone other than me drink mat’e or even know what it is? Probably not.

I’ve tried it before. It was hideous.

Gee, thanks.

A south american drink of some sort? I read something about it recently.

Yerba mate’. A form of holly, infused with hot (not boiling) water, to make a sort of tea. A friend at the university drank it. Not bad.

Yea. It’s actually pretty good, but I can’t find it easily. Plus, my mother thinks it will give me cancer. Everything gives people cancer nowadays.

I know what Mat’e is but haven’t tried it. It’s getting easier to find, it used to be impossible. But I’ll stick with coffee, iced tea, and the occasional hot tea including green tea. There’s something soothing about the warm drink in the morning. And the caffeine is good too :smiley:

HURRAH! :extrahappy:

I guess that my brain doesn’t need protection then :smiley:

I’m already energetic enough without the extra boost :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.