Daily Catechism Readings?

I've had a bit of a resurgence of faith lately, and for the first time in my entire life (both as a protestant and as a catholic convert) this return to faith FEELS right, not circumstantial.

I figured I'd use my available resources, and have started reading the daily mass readings each day from the church bulletin and picked up a nice devotional book by JP2, but I want some more.

Finally to my question...Is there a reccomended Daily Catechism reading? Perhaps that coincide with the missal scripture readings? Alas my internet search has yielded fruitless results.

Thanks a lot!
Jason

Welcome home!!!

I do not know of a resource for a DAILY Catechism reading that goes along with the readings. However, my daily missal, which is published by Our Sunday Visitor, has Catechism lessons for every Sunday and Holy Day. It might be buying one. I think almost all Missals have them for the Sundays.

Pax!

that resource is great
OSV also has a book that correlates the Sunday readings to the CCC, as do most publishers who have RCIA resources

there is one page guide to reading the bible and the CCC in a year, but in order, not with an attempt to correlate them, on the website of the Coming Home Network, if I find the link I will post it

I think One Bread One Body from Presentation Ministries has a lesson for each days readings and I know some of them have CCC references, I don't recall if there is a ref for every day.

Downloadable pdf guide to reading the bible and CCC together in one year from the coming home network
[/FONT]http://www.chnetwork.org/readguide04.pdf

One Bread One Body, on-line, which also links you to the readings
[/FONT]http://www.presentationministries.com/home/home.asp

[quote="LORDNOAR, post:1, topic:204606"]
Is there a reccomended Daily Catechism reading? Perhaps that coincide with the missal scripture readings?

[/quote]

Why is everyone so obsessed with following the lectionary cycle? In my opinion, that's the best way to prevent yourself from seeing the bigger picture. I know because I've tried it.

Anyhow, I have a recommended Daily Catechism reading plan that works pretty well. It's called The Apollos System For Reading Stuff.

The system is a bit complicated, so stay with me.

[LIST=1]
]First, you start on page 1 and read until you've read a section that more or less holds together as a self-contained unit. For example, read *Fidei Depositum *which functions as a sort of preface to the whole work, and continue with paragraphs 1-49, which brings you through the introductory material down through what it means to encounter God, including the "In Brief" section that functions as a sort of bullet-point review.
*]As you read, take a pencil and mark the places you like, the places that answer a question that you have had or that you have heard other people have, and the parts that you don't understand or that you disagree with (which, for good Catholics, is the same thing LOL). Do not mark more than one line in a row.

*]Then close the book and out loud give a thumbnail sketch of what you've just read, as if you were making small talk at a bus stop.
*]Finally, memorize verbatim the parts you don't understand, so that you can ask someone about them later.
*]Repeat this process the next time you read, but begin with trying to recall what you read the previous session before you begin a new section.
*]Some people like to begin with a prayer, such as to the Holy Spirit or (especially in the case of the Catechism) Sts Peter Canisius or Robert Bellarmine. My personal favorite is a short prayer based on Luke 18:41, which in my translation reads, "GOD, I don't GET THIS".
[/LIST]
Happy reading,

Apollos

*Why not mark more than one line in a row? Because avoiding marking more than one line in a row forces you to boil the passage of interest down to the essential part.

[quote="Apollos, post:4, topic:204606"]
Why is everyone so obsessed with following the lectionary cycle? In my opinion, that's the best way to prevent yourself from seeing the bigger picture. I know because I've tried it.

[/quote]

neither OP nor anyone else is describing an obsession but an understandable and laudable desire to read and pray with scripture with the Church. Since such a daily reading over a 3 year period will present the larger share of the bible read more or less in order the big picture is indeed presented, in manageable portions. Thank you but I think OP will be well advised to consider first praying with the Church. There is nothing wrong with your system of reading the CCC, but OP is asking about another option.

A method that differs from your own is neither wrong nor an obsession.

[quote="Apollos, post:4, topic:204606"]

*]Some people like to begin with a prayer, such as to the Holy Spirit or (especially in the case of the Catechism) Sts Peter Canisius or Robert Bellarmine. My personal favorite is a short prayer based on Luke 18:41, which in my translation reads, "GOD, I don't GET THIS".
[/LIST]
Happy reading,

Apollos

[/quote]

Ah yes, a prayer I've often said myself at work or study :D ;)

I would also recommend starting slowly with the Liturgy of the Hours.

For the comment above concerning the lectionary cycle, I respectfully disagree. The readings are meant to fit together to tell a story of salvation from the beginning of time. Without the intelligent juxtaposition of readings, it's too easy to fall into a personal interpretation of scripture, and in fact not see the big picture. The lectionary is in fact meant to give the big picture and place readings in context. It's amazing sometimes to see the parallels between OT and NT readings.

There's nothing wrong of course, in reading scripture outside the cycle, but reading the cycle each day is worthwhile if you ask me.

Also, including the readings from the Liturgy of the Hours, in particular from the Office of Readings, is very beneficial IMHO.

Another daily reading that is very worthwhile is the daily extract from the Roman Martyrology (you might be able to find this on-line, I have a source but it's in French only), the short description of the lives of the saints and martyrs is very inspiring.

I also read a commented edition of the Rule of St Benedict daily as I am a Benedictine Oblate.

[quote="OraLabora, post:7, topic:204606"]
I would also recommend starting slowly with the Liturgy of the Hours.

For the comment above concerning the lectionary cycle, I respectfully disagree. The readings are meant to fit together to tell a story of salvation from the beginning of time. Without the intelligent juxtaposition of readings, it's too easy to fall into a personal interpretation of scripture, and in fact not see the big picture. The lectionary is in fact meant to give the big picture and place readings in context. It's amazing sometimes to see the parallels between OT and NT readings.

There's nothing wrong of course, in reading scripture outside the cycle, but reading the cycle each day is worthwhile if you ask me.

Also, including the readings from the Liturgy of the Hours, in particular from the Office of Readings, is very beneficial IMHO.

Another daily reading that is very worthwhile is the daily extract from the Roman Martyrology (you might be able to find this on-line, I have a source but it's in French only), the short description of the lives of the saints and martyrs is very inspiring.

I also read a commented edition of the Rule of St Benedict daily as I am a Benedictine Oblate.

[/quote]

I've never heard of the Roman Martyrology before. I looked it up online and this is what I found:

breviary.net/martyrology/mart07/mart0709.htm

Is this the complete reading? If I understand it correctly, you read this after Lauds with the Divine Office?

I carry the white paperback edition of the CCC around with me in my book bag, and love to read it while I'm waiting in lines or having a cup of coffee at the local donut shop. It's a big book and can seem daunting at first. You can start at the beginning of the Catechism, or flip to a section that has particular interest for you and go from there. It doesnt matter to me where I start as long as I am reading it and absorbing its teaching on the Faith.

:harp:

[quote="Matt_CL, post:9, topic:204606"]
I carry the white paperback edition of the CCC around with me in my book bag, and love to read it while I'm waiting in lines or having a cup of coffee at the local donut shop. It's a big book and can seem daunting at first. You can start at the beginning of the Catechism, or flip to a section that has particular interest for you and go from there. It doesnt matter to me where I start as long as I am reading it and absorbing its teaching on the Faith.

:harp:

[/quote]

Why don't they digitize the CCC? You can't get in an app or on Kindle. Sure would be a lot easy to carry.

There’s no app or anything that I’m aware of, but if you weren’t aware that it’s online at all, here you go.

[quote="Brooklyn, post:8, topic:204606"]
I've never heard of the Roman Martyrology before. I looked it up online and this is what I found:

breviary.net/martyrology/mart07/mart0709.htm

Is this the complete reading? If I understand it correctly, you read this after Lauds with the Divine Office?

[/quote]

That's exactly it. Traditionally it is read after Lauds (or before the reformation of the Office, before Prime) but modern practice is variable and various options can be found if you read the book version of it. At our abbey, they read it in the refectory at supper.

It consists of a brief description of the lives of all the saints; not just martyrs and not just the ones celebrated as memorials or feasts in the Divine Office.

Another note: it is read in anticipation that is, if you read it today, you should be reading about tomorrow's saints.

You have to get a new book once in a while though, the list of saints keeps getting longer :-)

Also some of the religious orders have their own versions with some of their own saints. The book itself is interesting, and if you get the Latin version, it has the chant notation so you can proclaim it chanted.

[quote="OraLabora, post:12, topic:204606"]
That's exactly it. Traditionally it is read after Lauds (or before the reformation of the Office, before Prime) but modern practice is variable and various options can be found if you read the book version of it. At our abbey, they read it in the refectory at supper.

It consists of a brief description of the lives of all the saints; not just martyrs and not just the ones celebrated as memorials or feasts in the Divine Office.

Another note: it is read in anticipation that is, if you read it today, you should be reading about tomorrow's saints.

You have to get a new book once in a while though, the list of saints keeps getting longer :-)

Also some of the religious orders have their own versions with some of their own saints. The book itself is interesting, and if you get the Latin version, it has the chant notation so you can proclaim it chanted.

[/quote]

Thank you so much. I definitely want to add this to my daily devotions. Reading the stories of the martyrs definitely helps to keep us grounded in reality.

[quote="MarkThompson, post:11, topic:204606"]
There's no app or anything that I'm aware of, but if you weren't aware that it's online at all, here you go.

[/quote]

Actually there is an app even for iPad... It is called Laudate. Super sweet.

Eric

[quote="Nickerbocker, post:14, topic:204606"]
Actually there is an app even for iPad... It is called Laudate. Super sweet.

Eric

[/quote]

But there probably wasn't when Mark Thompson made that comment nearly 2 years ago!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.