Daily liturgical readings help

Where can I find an explanation for the daily liturgical readings?

Sometimes I see no connection between the OT reading, the Psalm and the Gospel. I'd love a resource that would provide some guidance into understanding the daily readings and why they were selected as they are.

Thank you

I believe it is many times that there is no connection between the OT and the other readings. The Epistle and Gospel are usually aligned.

The OT usually only has a connection on a major feast day.

[quote="1inICXC, post:1, topic:289415"]
Where can I find an explanation for the daily liturgical readings?

Sometimes I see no connection between the OT reading, the Psalm and the Gospel. I'd love a resource that would provide some guidance into understanding the daily readings and why they were selected as they are.

Thank you

[/quote]

You'll want to read the General Introduction to the Lectionary, especially paragraphs 58-77. For much of the year, particularly during Ordinary Time, the readings are arranged in independent semi-continuous cycles (e.g., for several days the first reading might run through several chapters of 1 Corinthians while the Gospel runs through a couple of chapters of Matthew); thus there will not necessarily be any special correspondence between the two.

It sounds to me that the OP is refering to the Ordinary Form of the Mass where there are two readings and then the Gospel.

I don’t attend the OF any more as I am fully dedicated to the EF but as I remember the local parish has the entire weeks readings listed on their bulletin. No explainations or help in understanding the readings.

Seems to me that my wife used to subscribe to a publication called “The Daily Word” that explained everything quite clearly.

I’m sure there are others out there besides the “Word”.

[quote="corsair, post:4, topic:289415"]
It sounds to me that the OP is refering to the Ordinary Form of the Mass where there are two readings and then the Gospel.

I don't attend the OF any more as I am fully dedicated to the EF but as I remember the local parish has the entire weeks readings listed on their bulletin. No explainations or help in understanding the readings.

Seems to me that my wife used to subscribe to a publication called "The Daily Word" that explained everything quite clearly.

I'm sure there are others out there besides the "Word".

[/quote]

There are only two readings and the Gospel in the Ordinary form on Sundays and Solemnities. The rest of the time there are only two readings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.