Daily Mass - no homily?

We have a very old priest, and today, he left out the homily, and the EMHC clensed the chalice instead of the priest (who was sitting down, and afterwards, sat for maybe 5 minutes). Normally, the priest does this, but I also found out during the Rosary prayer group afterwards that this priest is having back problems, and is going in for a lung operation. He had a hip operation a few years ago already.

Hi-

I’m not sure if this was meant as a question, but I thought I’d observe that back in my university days there was not always a homily at the daily Mass - often just a short reflection, as often no speaking at all. So I’m not sure it’s required. He could speak from the chair if he wanted to and needed to sit down.

We had a senior priest with a heart condition some years back who had a bar stool behind the altar on which he semi-sat while celebrating Eucharist. Obviously not a sign of disrespect but a necessary accommodation, and we were glad to have him!

1 Like

Yeah, it was a question. The priest went right from the Gospel reading to the prayer intentions. Maybe he couldn’t stand for an extended period of time.

Homilies are not required for daily Masses. Nice, but not strictly necessary.

I believe sermons are only required on days of obligation, where it is best to reflect on the reason you’re there at Mass. And even then the sermon has to be about the readings or the feast. I like EWTN but sometimes priests go of on tangents there during sermons. The church I go to now has a priest whose sermon…makes no sense with what’s going on, I guess.

Ordained clergy (priest, deacon) are the only ones who should touch the sacred vessels.

Correct - but they are recommended.

Full text of GIRM here: General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM)

James

My understanding is that a duly instituted acolyte is also permitted to purify the vessels.

Homilies are not required for daily Mass. My pastor will sometimes say two sentences and then sit down. Other times, he will dispense with preaching and move on to the General Intercessions. Now, solemnities, Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation need to have a homily.

Regarding just who can purify Sacred Vessels, Redemptionis Sacramentum notes that:

119.] The Priest, once he has returned to the altar after the distribution of Communion, standing at the altar or at the credence table, purifies the paten or ciborium over the chalice, then purifies the chalice in accordance with the prescriptions of the Missal and wipes the chalice with the purificator. Where a Deacon is present, he returns with the Priest to the altar and purifies the vessels. It is permissible, however, especially if there are several vessels to be purified, to leave them, covered as may be appropriate, on a corporal on the altar or on the credence table, and for them to be purified by the Priest or Deacon immediately after Mass once the people have been dismissed. Moreover a duly instituted acolyte assists the Priest or Deacon in purifying and arranging the sacred vessels either at the altar or the credence table. In the absence of a Deacon, a duly instituted acolyte carries the sacred vessels to the credence table and there purifies, wipes and arranges them in the usual way.209

I hope this citation helps to clarify things.

My pastor always gives a homily at Daily Mass. It usually lasts around five minutes. Today was an exception. The homily was almost 10 minutes long. I assume that it was because it is the Feast of St. Thomas and Father has a particular devotion to him since he is from India and St. Thomas was the Apostle who brought the Gospel to India.
The only time our pastor did not give a homily in the year he has been with us was when he celebrated Daily Mass on a morning when he was supposed to pick up the superior of his religious order at the airport less than an hour after Mass began. He apologized to us for not giving a homily. Actually, since it was in fact his day off he certainly had no need to apologize. We were just grateful that he cares enough to celebrate Mass for us even on that day of the week when no Mass is scheduled. It’s strange that the weekly bulletin still says that there is no Mass on Mondays. All the parishoners know that if we show up at the church, Father will be there to say Mass. Perhaps whoever makes up the bulletin wants to preserve the idea that a priest is entitled to a day off?

Yeah, that’s what happened, the person who’s the acolyte for the daily masses purified them off to the side.

A homily isn’t necessary at a daily Mass. (That point does need some reinforcing). Even at a Sunday Mass, the homily isn’t strictly required if the priest has a good reason for not having one.

As for the acolyte purifying, that one’s already been addressed here and on similar threads, so I won’t repeat.

My pastor, under obedience to the diocesan bishop does give a homily with every Mass, including daily Mass.
Otherwise, a homily is not required. At the monastery in Conyers, daily homilies are not the norm.

When I was first commissioned as an EMCH, I was instructed on how to purify the vessels. This was done after Mass. In my current parish, the vessels were purified at a side table. Last year, or the year before, new instructions directed that the EMCH no longer purify the vessels. Now any consecrated wine is consumed and the chalice simply covered until the priest purifies the vessels after Mass.

Actually, the indult allowing EMHCs to purify expired back in 2005. One of the first things that Pope Benedict did was to allow the indult to expire. Thus, parishes should have been instructing their EMHCs not to do this as early as about four years ago.

I didn’t remember the time frame. What I gave was strictly an estimate of when the instruction was given and it could easily have been longer than stated in my post.

My time frame could very easily have been off with the change in instruction taking place earlier than stated in my post. The point I was making is that although it had been general practice for the EMCH to purify the vessels, this is no longer the accepted procedure.
The EMCH, after consuming any consecrated wine, is simply to cover the chalice.

That’s assuming the pastors were notified by their bishop. Since some bishops still do things that RS forbids, it’s not a stretch to assume they haven’t instructed their flock not to do them.

Even when the bishop has instructed the priests who have in turn instructed EMCHs, occasionally there may be an EMCH who has yet to receive the message. This is generally corrected EMCH to EMCH.

I think there are times when priests are feeling sick but they still have to do the mass because no other priest is available and the people are there waiting in the church.

I think your priest was having a serious medical problem and barely finished the mass.
He could have gotten ill right in front of you during the mass and fallen down ill.

Some priests do sermons and not homilies. They talk about whatever they want to talk about during their supposed homily. It can be amusing at times.

I am just glad that I spent some time with God when I go to mass. Whatever happens happens. The most important thing is that I am there with God. There are times when I am feeling so ill that I can only sit through the mass. I tell myself that I will be okay and I ask God to heal me of my medical problems. I am handicapped and I sit with the handicapped people. I have osteo-arthritis and a vision problem, and other problems. Lucia

Hi!

I actually don't think it's a requirement for priests to say a homily during daily mass. I go to daily mass pretty regularly, and although in my parish the priests never skip the homily, I have been to parishes where they have. So anyway, as far as I know, I think it's ok :thumbsup:

4ever

The bishop in my diocese requires a priest to give a homily during every Mass, including the daily Mass. Unless the bishop so directs, you are correct in saying that it is okay to omit the homily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.