Daily mass vs. sunday mass

Hey! Does anyone know the difference between a Sunday mass and a regular mass? The Creed is not read but what else?

The Creed usually is read at weekday Mass in my experience. The greatest difference is that there is one less Scripture Reading in most non-Sunday Masses.

Thanks. So is the are the Gospel and the Homily still part of the weekday mass?

There is always a Gospel Reading at Mass. On Weekdays the Homily is sometimes omitted, and even when included is usually much shorter than a Sunday Homily.

There also tends to be less singing at daily mass and less attendance.

Daily masses usually are shorter and many are under 30 minutes compared to about an hour for Sunday masses.

Weekday Masses that are not major Feasts or Solemnities would omit the Gloria and the Creed. This would include weekday Masses, optional memorial Masses and obligatory memorial Masses. The Gloria is added for Feasts and the Creed is added to that for Solemnities.

Sunday Mass has two readings, the psalm and the Gospel
Daily Mass has one reading , the psalm and the Gospel

Again, if it is a Solemnity it is treated like a Sunday Mass so may have two readings before the Gospel.

I hope this helps

Thanks a lot. It seems I haven’t been paying enough attention when I’ve attended mass during the week.

Folks…I can’t believe you all left out the biggie…

No collection at a weekday Mass!!! (at least most of the time anyway) :thumbsup:

The prayer of the faithful is sometimes not said at weekday Masses. It is left to the priest’s discretion.

[quote=Chatter163]The prayer of the faithful is sometimes not said at weekday Masses. It is left to the priest’s discretion.
[/quote]

It is difficult to determine if the priest has this option. From the 2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

The Prayer of the Faithful
69. In the Prayer of the Faithful, the people respond in a certain way to the word of God which they have welcomed in faith and, exercising the office of their baptismal priesthood, offer prayers to God for the salvation of all. It is fitting that such a prayer be included, as a rule, in Masses celebrated with a congregation, so that petitions will be offered for the holy Church, for civil authorities, for those weighed down by various needs, for all men and women, and for the salvation of the whole world. [Footnote 67: Cf. Second Vatican Ecumenical Council, Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, Sacrosanctum Concilium, no. 53.
“Especially on Sundays and holydays of obligation there is to be restored, after the gospel and the homily, “the universal prayer” or “the prayer of the faithful.” By this prayer, in which the people are to take part, intercession shall be made for holy Church, for the civil authorities, for those oppressed by various needs, for all people, and for the salvation of the entire world. (Footnote 4 See 1 Tm 2:1-2)”]"

1. As a rule, the series of intentions is to be

For the needs of the Church;
For public authorities and the salvation of the whole world;
For those burdened by any kind of difficulty;
For the local community.
Nevertheless, in a particular celebration, such as Confirmation, Marriage, or a Funeral, the series of intentions may reflect more closely the particular occasion.

The quote from Sacrosanctum Concilium I have taken from Documents on the Liturgy, (Liturgical Press, 1982, ISBN 0-8146-1281-4, pages 14-15).

On the one hand the GIRM makes no distinction between Sundays and weekdays. The only reference to Sunday is in the footnote, where it is “especially on Sunday”.

On the other hand “it is fitting … as a rule” suggests that the prayers of the faithful are always optional, in Mass with a congregation.

St, Mary of Mercy in downtown Pittsburgh has four Daily Masses, at 6:30AM, 7:30 AM, 10:00 AM and 12 noon. Because the parish relies upon visitors - downtown workers, mostly, they take a collection at each Mass. The 12 Noon Mass is televised, and it opens and closes with a hymn - as well as one during Communion.
This does not occur at most daily Masses.

No introduction by a reader and for us Prayer to St. Michael the archangel at the end during the week. Oh yeah no choir, no singing at weekday

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.