Daily Mass

I hope this isn't a dumb question :o but how is a daily mass different from a Sunday mass? Is anything added or left out of the service?

Daily Mass is shorter. There is typically only one reading, a Psalm and Gospel (as opposed to the two readings, Psalm + Gospel of a Sunday liturgy). The Creed may be omitted (usually is, in my experience), and there may be no homily at all. Also, as attendance tends to be much lower, it takes much less time for everyone to receive Communion.

I'm fortunate to work in a Catholic hospital and there is Mass at the chapel twice a week (the rest of the time, there is Mass at my parish church, but I can't go to those). Ten people in addition to the priest is relatively common.

Also, there isn't as much singing (and can be none at all).

Nothing is added. There is usually no Gloria or Creed. Rarely any singing, in my experiences. The homily is optional, but I can't think of a Mass that I've been to without one, and I frequent daily Mass at several parishes. I'd say 20-30 people is common, but I've seen more (especially during Lent) and fewer.

Worth it. Every single time.

[quote="beccasmiles89, post:1, topic:337007"]
I hope this isn't a dumb question :o but how is a daily mass different from a Sunday mass? Is anything added or left out of the service?

[/quote]

It's not a dumb question at all. :)

Here are some differences that make daily Mass different from a Sunday Mass:

(Please note that when a solemnity falls on a weekday, even if it's not a holy day of obligation, Mass will be much closer - if not identical - to a Sunday Mass; i.e., it will include the Creed, the Gloria, a mandatory homily, etc.)

Otherwise, though:

• No Gloria
  • Two readings, not three (a psalm *is *still prayed before the Alleluia, however)
  • Homily is optional
  • No recitation of the Creed/Symbol of Faith

Other differences that are likely for practical reasons:

• There may be no hymns unless the parish has a really dedicated and available music director/organist/etc. If there are no hymns, the people may sing or recite the propers at the entrance, during Holy Communion, etc. Or they may simply be silent.

• With fewer people in attendance, Mass will almost certainly be shorter due to the distribution of Holy Communion not taking as long.

• Unless EMHCs or additional priests or deacons are present, Holy Communion is likely to be distributed to the faithful in host form alone, with only the celebrant priest receiving from the chalice.

[quote="beccasmiles89, post:1, topic:337007"]

[/quote]

Will vary from parish to parish. The following are likely:
[LIST]
*]No servers - priest may have to do what they do
*]No readers - priest may do the readings
*]No music or singing
*]Fewer people there
*]Takes closer to 30 mins than an hour
[/LIST]
The Mass itself -
[LIST]
*]No Gloria - however is recited on solemnities, feasts and everyday in Christmas Octave
*]Only 1 reading before the Gospel (on solemnities there's 2 like on Sundays)
*]The homily is optional
*]No Credo - however is recited on solemnities
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.