Daily Meditation - Friday 1st August 2008 - THE CHALLENGING TRUTH OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

**[FONT=Times New Roman] **

[FONT=Arial]

[FONT=Arial]Memorial
Alphonsus Liguori
also
First Friday of The Month
HERE

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Mass Readings & Meditation

Readings

Meditation

[LEFT]Matthew 13:54-58

[/LEFT]
In today’s Gospel reading, we see Jesus returning to a cold reception in his hometown after having preached to large, enthusiastic crowds throughout Galilee.
[LEFT]
[LIST]
*] Despite all he had done elsewhere, no one in Nazareth hailed him as Messiah.
*]Instead, they seem to have paid him little heed at all.
*]He was able to perform a few miracles, but no one believed that he was a prophet, much less the Son of God.[/LIST][/LEFT]

Why such a lack of faith?

Because the Nazarenes chose their own grasp of Jesus rather than looking for divine insight.

What about us?

[LIST]
*]We know that Jesus is the Son of God.
*] We believe it; we profess it every week at Mass.
*]Yet how do we relate to Jesus?
*] Do we come to him each morning in prayer expecting to be lifted up to heaven and to touch the very heart of God
*]? Do we go to Mass expecting to taste his glory through the Eucharist?[/LIST]The challenging truth is that we cannot trust our own abilities to bring about the kind of faith that transforms lives.

[LIST]
*] We need to rely on God to give us divine revelation by his Holy Spirit—revelation that will bring our faith to life.
*] The good news is that when we do look to the Holy Spirit, we discover that he delights in revealing Jesus to us.
*] He wants to pierce our hearts with the love of Christ in a way that transforms us into his image.[/LIST]As we come to learn who Jesus is, like Peter, we will be led to proclaim:
[LIST]
*]“You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”
*] Like Thomas, we will cry out: “My Lord and my God!”
*]And like John, we will come face-to-face with the God who is love[/LIST]
. The more Jesus reveals himself to us, the more we can begin to grasp
[LIST]
*]“what is the breadth and length and height and depth” of the Lord we follow (Ephesians 3:18).
*]Nothing compares to knowing Jesus
]. The revelation of his love and power is well worth striving for![/LIST]"Lord, I want to know you. *
*Come and reveal yourself to me more deeply *
than ever before."

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.