Daily Missals?

I would like to read the readings for daily Mass before I leave home in the morning. I know of several sources including the Sunday bulletin, the Magnificat, and another magazine format of which the name escapes me (Daily Word?).

What resource do you use or prefer and why do you like that one? Do any of them come with a pronunciation guide?

Thanks

Useful intel re: Liturgy and Sacraments

If it's acceptable to you to use the internet you might look at the Catholic News Agency site.

The USCCB has the Mass readings here. No pronunciation guide, though.

I bought a missal. IMHO That is the best way. I need to buy two more now that they are changing the translations (I dont think they effect the Bible translations, but I want a new one anyway ;)): A 1962 missal and the new translation. Oh shucks, I gotta buy more books :(;)

FSC

I've found a number of good online sources, but for a printed version I use Living with Christ. It has good articles and some in-depth Scripture-reading exercises, but my favorite part is a little section called "Responding to the Word," which includes a reflection and prayer prompt based on the day's readings.

[quote="Loren_1of6, post:1, topic:202974"]
I would like to read the readings for daily Mass before I leave home in the morning. I know of several sources including the Sunday bulletin, the Magnificat, and another magazine format of which the name escapes me (Daily Word?).

What resource do you use or prefer and why do you like that one? Do any of them come with a pronunciation guide?

Thanks

[/quote]

I subscribe to Magnificat. It's a little pricey but it's compact and includes Morning and Evening Prayers. (I have and sometimes use Christian Prayer: The Liturgy of the Hours which I like very much because it includes the music for the hymns, but often I'm focused on the Eastern readings and prayers so having the short form in the Magnificat is helpful. I know you aren't asking about LOTH but because Magnificat includes those Morning and Evening Prayers I mention them.) I like the reflections that are included and the cover art is lovely. I have the See-through plastic cover- Price: US $2.95, which has been very useful keeping the cover and pages in good shape. I always bring it with me to our RCIA sessions so I can refer to the Sunday readings easily, plus any of the feasts/solemnities in the coming week, which are noted on the inside cover.

I receive the daily readings for the Eastern Catholics at my email address which I read on my computer and my cell phone. This includes Vespers, the readings for the Divine Liturgy, the Synaxarion of the Day (readings on the lives of the Saints), and the abstinence, if any, for the day. I see on the USCCB site there are daily podcasts that can be sent to you, but I don't see an option for getting the readings in print format sent your email . I assume there must be some site that offers to send the text version daily. I really like having it on my phone email.

I use Living With Christ. (No pronunciation guide, though.)

I gave Magnificat a whirl after I saw all the glowing reviews here, but I really didn't like it. The pages were not visually appealing to me (never could put my finger on why), and the meditations were over my head. (I'm college-educated with a fair amount of sense, but the meditations left me :confused: )

So I went back to Living With Christ. I think I got a 3 year subscription for $54. I like the reflections that they have before each Sunday and the descriptions of the Saints lives on the appropriate feast days. Sometimes I will also jot down a few words while Father is giving the homily, so that I can remember it after I walk out of the church.

I use Shorter Christian Prayer for Morning and Evening prayers.

There are also year long Missals that are probably a good choice for those waiting on the new translation.

Wow, there are more choices than I thought.

5loaves, I sort of think I'd like to have the LOTH, but I'm not sure if I wouldn't be overwhelmed trying to fit it all in.

Bob and Mark, I don't mind using the internet at all, but there are five other people in the house who are sometimes online when I want to be. I don't always get a chance to check web sources.

I'll look into those. I've never heard of Living With Christ so I'll have to find it. I have seen Magnificat and the other one I mentioned (maybe it's The Word Among Us).

Here is a website, Catholic Emporium, I believe, that has daily Mass readings and they will email them to you as well if you like.

catholicemporium.com/Daily-Catholic-Mass-Readings-By-Email.html

I have a weekday missal and a sunday missal, both St. Paul editions from the 70's I bought used for less than $10 each on half.com
I don't think the readings are going to change with the mass translation, right? So I hope they will be good for a long time yet. Your best bet is buying used missals online, spending 15 bucks total for a weekday and sunday missal and you are good to go.

[quote="Petrosvi, post:11, topic:202974"]
I have a weekday missal and a sunday missal, both St. Paul editions from the 70's I bought used for less than $10 each on half.com
I don't think the readings are going to change with the mass translation, right? So I hope they will be good for a long time yet. Your best bet is buying used missals online, spending 15 bucks total for a weekday and sunday missal and you are good to go.

[/quote]

I agree. I have a St Joseph Sunday Missal and a Daily Roman Missal. I have printed out the changes and slipped them in the appropriate pages. That works for me, don't have to buy new ones.

Count my vote for Magnificat. Unlike acadian, I love how it looks and feels in my hands. I love the cover art. I love the daily meditations. And most of all, I love the included Morning and Evening Prayer. I wanted an informal but orderly way to pray the Psalms, and this was it.

Betsy

[quote="Loren_1of6, post:9, topic:202974"]

I'll look into those. I've never heard of Living With Christ so I'll have to find it. I have seen Magnificat and the other one I mentioned (maybe it's The Word Among Us).

[/quote]

livingwithchrist.us/index.php

What ever form of the Mass you attend, the best way is to get the Missal. EF is simpler because there is only one cycle. Pro's and Con's to both side of that issue.

iMissal on the iPhone! Wonderful little application.:angel1:

Universalis has daily Liturgy of the Hours and Mass readings available for downloaded to your computer or hand held device. It is possible to store the entire year, indexed by date, on most smart phones.

universalis.com/

This site will email you the readings daily, or you can subscribe in your feed reader. thedailymassreadings.com

[quote="FidesSpesCarita, post:4, topic:202974"]
I bought a missal. IMHO That is the best way. I need to buy two more now that they are changing the translations (I dont think they effect the Bible translations, but I want a new one anyway ;)): A 1962 missal and the new translation. Oh shucks, I gotta buy more books :(;)

FSC

[/quote]

I also agree that buying a missal helps. I however would wait til the new missal out. I too have traditional missal 1945 Fr. Lasance edition. Beautiful

I was looking for a Maryknoll daily missal, but couldn't seem to find one. I really like the Angelus Press 1962 missal because it contains Latin-English text. Does anyone know of a cheaper website to buy an Angelus Press 1962 missal. Or any other Latin-English missals in that matter.

Thanks,
In Christ

Preston

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.