Dalai Lama says ethics in religion is no longer adequate

facebook.com/#!/DalaiLama

By Dalai Lama

All the world’s major religions, with their emphasis on love, compassion, patience, tolerance, and forgiveness can and do promote inner values. But the reality of the world today is that grounding ethics in religion is no longer adequate. This is why I am increasingly convinced that the time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics beyond religion altogether.

Dalai Lama

Dalai Lama needs to get out more often. Half the western world has been making up spirituality and ethics beyond religion for years. It’s less than adequate.

THose are my favorites the dalai Lama, the holy father, and the Karmapa.

Actually I think he is right on the money with that statement - the Franciscan Priest Richard Rohr has been saying something similar for some time now.

He means that ethics should transcend religion, as in a global code of common ethics.

You mean like “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

If anyone can top that as a global code of ethics I would love to see it.

exactly, but its not global, its judeo-christian. he wants one thats common world wide, transending religion and culture

LOL!

That particular wording may be Christian, but the concept is much older than that.

I prefer the so-called negative version: “What you do not wish for yourself, do not do to others.” Confucian version, 6th century BC

:smiley: How true but sometimes it is a little hard trying to explain that to someone who still thinks there is an 'I" in team… :wink:

I do not agree. We need to go back to basics, back to pre-Nicene. Back then Christians lived in a world hostile to them, and morality wasn’t set by Christian standards. We need to captivate the world again. We have grown lax because the Emperors and Kings were Christians for over 1000 years. That era has ended. Back to basics.

Agreed.

There may not be an “I” in “team”, but there *is *an “M” and an “E”.;):smiley:

Now I wonder in a world like that, what that means for people such as myself…or those who are not attached to Christendom…

Same thing it always has… Not much of anything. Pre-Nicene era Christianity was an era in which Christians were persecuted and martyred constantly, so if anything, you would have been infinitely safer than the Christians.

Ethics, spirituality, and wisdom are what the Torah in Judaism is all about. But ethics in the abstract without knowledge and understanding regarding complex ethical issues and specific situations may not always be ideal.

Ethics without God is just a set of suppressing rules, that are constantly changing because no one really likes them. Today something is evil, in a few years it is good and a few years more and it is evil again…

And there is a I in win.

:thumbsup:

Hoe can anyone agree on universal ethics without a universal authority? Some might say X is ethical, others might say no Y is.

exactly, that would require a common world religion, which will never happen.

Oh i was referring to the comment about a return to a “back to basics” approach. Ethics is a…touchy…subject in the modern world, one that doesn’t give itself over to the idea of falsification of theories.

As to your comment - I would like to refer you to the Roman legal code as practice during the era of Jesus of Nazareth and in the 200 years from his…let’s call it “departure” so as to avoid any quibbling.

The Roman State was thought to be a product not only of human ingenuity, but Divine Will. To disavow principal Olympian gods (in their Roman garb of course) would be the equivalent to a political crime.

Judaism’s Henotheism/Monotheistic outlook, Christianity’s monotheism, and something akin to Epicurus’ philosophical school (Gods are inactive in the world of man…or may not even exist) can be tried under the same exact crime according to the Roman state.

A-Theos.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.