Damning cannon law quotes

I may seem like a fool for saying this but I can’t even give the full quote.

However I was on the blaze and I heard some quotes supposedly from cardinals as well as other corrupt things about the church.

Forgive me, I can’t even find the whole quote but I recall one had was that Catholicism is wholly independent of the bible and gospel.-supposedly a cardinal said this. Essentially an independent religion with no real connection to Jesus Christ of course that’s hard to believe but the poster who quoted it took it as so.

Another was a supposed quote from cannon law that the bible is a dead letter utterly incapable of achieving anything.

Another I believe was from cannon law about the pope was God on earth

Another that the largest gay bathhouse is right underneath the Vatican and cardinal residential area.

I don’t have any hostile agenda posting this I would just like clarification about these supposed quotes.

I am truly sorry about not being able to even fully quote them but I couldn’t find the article I went to.

Hmm… A thread which complains about and casts doubt over ‘evidence’ which seems to have mysteriously disappeared.

I don’t care how sorry you are that you can’t “find it”; a thread needs subject matter in order to be discussed. You gotta give me something to munch on, dude.

Here you go.

vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM

It’s a link to the code of canon law. It’s a fairly easy read and not too long. I am guessing that you won’t find any of that stuff you kinda sorta remember in canon law but, if you do, at least you’ll have an accurate quote to bring back to discuss.

Barclay Cap. XXVII petrus bertrandus

The pope and God are the same

Pope Nicholas said the pope has the appellation of God.

Pope said no talk of revelation was allowed at trent. I believe the posters premise here was that the pope to keep Catholics from leaving shunned all talk regarding revelation as well as prophecy and then ties this into lack of end times discussion.

Another said the bible was on the index of forbidden books this is seemingly damning can you prove this false

Catholic national 1895 the pope is Jesus Christ himself July.

OH-KAY.

:rolleyes:

Please let me be clear I have no hostile agenda I do not intend to proselytize or shout I came to this forum for the purpose of considering Catholicism I am very disturbed by these quotes though.

I’m going to assume that you serious and not trying to stir the pot (I say this because some people do come here with questions like these because they are trying to stir the pot). Others come here because they are truly looking for Catholic Answers.

I’m going to answer these one by one.

Forgive me, I can’t even find the whole quote but I recall one had was that Catholicism is wholly independent of the bible and gospel.-supposedly a cardinal said this. Essentially an independent religion with no real connection to Jesus Christ of course that’s hard to believe but the poster who quoted it took it as so.

This is entirely not true. There are a number of people who have an agenda against the Catholic Church who will claim that Catholics are not Christians, etc. Or they will use “non-practicing” Catholics as proof of this or that. The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ. Christ is at the center of everything we do, and the Adoration of Jesus Christ and the Blessed Trinity is the center of our lives.

Another was a supposed quote from cannon law that the bible is a dead letter utterly incapable of achieving anything.

The Bible (with a capital “B”) is not a dead letter. While the Catholic Church does believe that the Bible is not the sole source of teaching, we believe the Bible to have equal weight with the Oral Tradition passed down from Christ, through the disciples. As the Bible states, not all of Christ’s Words or Teaching are contained within the Scriptures. (I’m sure someone can provide the exact quote/reference, as I cannot remember it off the top of my head). At every Sunday Mass, Catholics have 4 Readings from the Bible (1 from OT, 1 from the Psalms, 1 from the Epistles or Acts, & 1 from the Gospel). Then, during the Homily, the Priest or Deacon usually sums up the Readings as part of his Homily. We call this the Liturgy of the Word. Plus, other parts of the Mass all have Biblical basis or reference. (Daily Mass usually only have 1 less Reading, but always have a Gospel Reading).

In addition to Readings at Mass, there are additional Readings which are part of the Liturgy of the Hours (Divine Office) which are a series of Readings and prayers for different parts of the day. Priests are required to do all of them every day. Lay people, while not required may recite them as part of a private devotion at home or in Church with others. You can see these readings online at divineoffice.org/ (they also sell the Liturgy of the Hours books too).

Finally, there are also other devotional which are Biblical based, including basic Bible Studies. Plus keep in mind that Catholics can receive Indulgences just for reading the Bible.

Another I believe was from cannon law about the pope was God on earth

There is only one God in three Persons (the Holy Trinity). The Pope is the “Vicar of Christ” which means he is the head here on Earth. But Jesus Christ is the True Leader of the Catholic Church. Christ promised that he will not allow the official teaching of the Church to stray from his message.

Another that the largest gay bathhouse is right underneath the Vatican and cardinal residential area.

really…? I will not argue that there have been sinful men in the Church. But (1) most Cardinals do not live in Rome and do not go there very often and (2) to simply suggest that something that sinful is under the Vatican (where there are actually catacombs) is simply insulting and baseless. If it were true, don’t you think that Mainstream Media (which is very anti-Catholic) would be all over it? You would hear about it everywhere you turn.

I don’t have any hostile agenda posting this I would just like clarification about these supposed quotes.

There are a number of people who want to see the Catholic Church destroyed. The devil would love nothing more.

I am truly sorry about not being able to even fully quote them but I couldn’t find the article I went to.

Considering that this information isn’t true, it’s either on some baloney site or taken down.

God Bless.

I mean no disrespect … BUT … Are you trolling :confused: … or really interested in conversing on a real topic???

You posted a thread on the Papacy and then never responded back to Randy when he provided some information and scripture quotes …

The items posted here in this thread - this scatter gun approach, that is not only insulting but ignorant of authentic Catholic teaching …

What is your real agenda … :rolleyes:

I can promise you. They are 100% false.

If you check any of my threads and posts you will know I have no anti-catholic agenda. I do know people come with anti-catholic agendas so I understand why you are suspicious. I have no interest or desire in starting a fight or trying to proselytize my current church(I know the consequences and I’ve read the rules). I am excited to hear any and all refutations you have-I mean if you can do that than I feel begin seriously considering Catholicism more than I am now-I would just like to see these quotes refuted or put in proper context-I am anxious to hear it!

Okay - I apologize for any offence - However - it is hard to take your posted quotes as real - no citation of real sources - who said it and where was it published, etc …

After all an anonymous quote about a gay bath house under the Vatican … why would you need that refuted? …Really - its absurd on its very face - even as I believe you that some nut case anti-catholic bigot might have actually said it [and the description of the person is 100 percent mine - not yours] …

So really - why would you need quotes such as that refuted? … you should have spent enough time at Catholic Answers reading here to know that …have you searched your topics and read older threads?

And - you never did respond on that other thread you started - so when someone posts quotes of the nature you did … coupled with a hit and run thread start on the papacy - well … I think you can see where the question of your sincerity and purpose might arise … so again - I apologize for mis-understanding your thread …

I can’t refute them - well I could but its not worth the time - they are not serious quotations - IMHO :wink:

Okay the catholic national July 1895 said the pope is not just Christ representative but Christ himself clothed in the flesh. I would really like to see this put in its proper context or proven hoax.

With regards to the papacy thread I had other things I had to do. I didn’t get around to looking at the replies until tonight.

This will surely come as quite a shock to Pope Francis. (and, since Benedict-16 is still alive, does that mean there are now two Gods? Or do you cease to be God when you resign?)

Pope Nicholas said the pope has the appellation of God.

An “appellation” is a title. This is like saying the Church acted in the will of God in selecting a Pope. We wouldn’t normally put it in these words, but it’s not wrong to say this.

Pope said no talk of revelation was allowed at trent. I believe the posters premise here was that the pope to keep Catholics from leaving shunned all talk regarding revelation as well as prophecy and then ties this into lack of end times discussion.

Do you mean the Book of Revelation?

Catholics have historically been uninterested in end-times prophecy. To my knowledge, in Her whole 2000 year history, the Church has only taught ONE thing about end-times talk (the Church has condemned certain ideas of premillennialism). The Pope would not need to ban talk about this Book - nobody is interested in it (and, besides, it wasn’t the source of protestant heresy, which was the primary purpose of Trent. It would have been off-topic).

Another said the bible was on the index of forbidden books this is seemingly damning can you prove this false

I have heard that certain erroneous translations of the Bible have been on the Index. But I looked at the complete list and do not see any actual Bibles (but there are a number of Bible commentaries). The page is in French - the word for Bible is Biblique.

Catholic national 1895 the pope is Jesus Christ himself

Is that supposed to be a magazine or something?

The title of your post asks about Canon Law, but nothing in your thread is remotely related to a Canon. Besides, you ask about some old things. Canon Law, as we know it, was not developed until 1917. We are currently in the Second Edition, published in 1983.

Okay - Again - Sorry … here is a link to refutations of many of your “quotes”

catholicpoint.blogspot.com/2012/10/pope-claiming-as-god.html

and a search of the threads here would have brought you to previous discussions of these:

From 2012 … forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=642914
From 2008 … forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=245556

Good reading …

Check out Randy’s reponse - visit the thread again … Good reading - jam packed with great information :thumbsup:

I might have misunderstood the point. I was thinking that the appellation comes FROM God. Are you saying that someone claims that “God” is a Papal title?

The Pope has many titles (the Holy Father, his Holiness, Vicar of Christ, the Supreme Pontiff, Servant of the Servants of God, etc). “God” is not one of those titles. If it was, don’t you think he would use it? That would be like being a general, but call yourself (and insist others call you) a lieutenant.

That’s because you’re looking at the 1948 version of the Index. Versions from the 1500s actually had particular translations of the Bible. And yes, you’re correct – it was only the translations that did not have the approval of the Church that were forbidden (some of these were ‘vernacular’ editions; this doesn’t mean that all vernacular translations were forbidden, however).

“CANNON, n. An instrument employed in the rectification of national boundaries.”

• Ambrose Bierce

I’m sorry I meant Canon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.