Dan Brown's New Book and Judaism

If you think of yourself as anything like a thoughtful person – I can’t use the word “intellectual” without cringing – it’s not generally held to be in good taste to say you’re keenly awaiting the debut of Dan Brown’s latest, The Lost Symbol, on Tuesday. Yet I admit I put in my Amazon order for the book already, to be delivered on the publication date, September 15. I can’t wait.

Part of my anticipation comes from curiosity about the original working title of the novel, The Solomon Key. In the classical medieval Jewish rabbinic sources and earlier, there’s a certain theme of interest in magic, astrology, “nigromancy,” and the like. The latter terms refers to black magic. Certainly there’s no permission to engage in such things, yet neither do the rabbis universally hold them in contempt as sheer foolishness and nonsense. In fact, Nachmanides, the 13th-century Spanish sage, actually cites from a book of black magic, The Book of the Moon, a work that has another name as well, The Key of Solomon. Its authorship is attributed to King Solomon…

Cool. New Novel. I hope it’s a success for Brown’s sake.

I also hope there won’t be many Jews who get bent out of shape over it claiming anti-Semitism where there really isn’t any just like the Catholic League did over the Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons.

:sleep:

Yeah… Dan Brown giving factual, honest portrayal of religion. That certainly personifies fiction.

Man, he better not mess with Solomon. He’s one of my favorite Old Testament figures because he was so wise.

One may hope that Jews will only use their secret special magical powers for good in the fight against evil.From the people who brought you Superman, Batman and Spiderman:)

chosen people,

At this very moment, you have 1,008 posts. This is a very sacred number for Hindus and Buddhists:

Firstly, the number 18 (18 Hands of the Lohan for instance) is considered sacred and the root of the number 108 and 1008, another sacred number.

Soon after the birth of the Buddha, 108 Brahmans were invited to the name-giving ceremony.

The number 18 is holy because there are 18 Puranas and 18 chapters in the Bhagavad Gita. By adding a zero we get 108, and 2 zeros gives us 1,008. There are other correspondences from a numerological standpoint where 1 plus 8 equals 9 which is a wholly different subject.

1,008 is sacred because it’s related to the number 18, which, as you well know, also has significance in Jewish gematria::thumbsup:

The word for “life” in Hebrew is “chai.” The two Hebrew letters that make up the word “chai” are chet and yud. In Gematria (the numerical value of Hebrew letters), chai is equivalent to 8 and yud is equivalent to 10. So “chai”, chet and yud together, equals 18. Giving money in multiples of $18 is symbolic of giving “chai” or life. Many people give money in mulitiples of $18 as presents to someone celebrating a birth, a bar or bat mitzvah or a wedding.

If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you were working undercover for Dan Brown and his new book.:smiley:

:rotfl:

Dan Brown’s book are good for…well, let’s say…toilet tissue!:smiley:

=Siddhartha;5690605]

***Dan Brown is a very talented story teller. But keep in mind, he writes novels, not historical accountings.

I too enjoy reading him. Never a single cuss word! Wow and no unmariedd sex! WOW WEE:thumbsup:***

Love and prayers,

Well, that’s understandable. He is a Christian, you know.

I was pretty sure Landen got a bit of “action” at the end of both “Angels and Demons” and “The Da Vinci Code”…

Oh well; I have a system for classifying authors:

1. Dickensians: these are my favorite authors (obviously named for the famous British author). I like their style and ideas.

2. Shakespearians: I like their ideas, but not their style.

3. Hemmingways: I love their style, but not so much their ideas or subject-matter.

4. Browns: I don’t like their style, or their ideas

I’m not so sure I want to go through reading his overuse of adverbs …

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.