Dancing?

This is going to sound like an odd question but, please bear with me. I remeber when I went to my aunts SDA church they really frowned on dancing (I never found out why but, whatever). Anyway I know that the Catholic Church allows dancing but, I was wondering if the Cathoic Church has put any rules on what types of dancing are permissable? Thanks and God Bless.

The most important thing in life is striving to attain with the grace of God life with God eternally. Learn all you can about your faith first through books, especially earily church fathers and saints, and EWTN etc. Then with prayer, you will be more guided to make right choices in more than just dancing.

Good heavens, the Church is not going to micro-manage something like dancing. The same moral code applies here as in elsewhere: is a strip-tease dance which seeks to arouse sexual desire morally problematic? Yes, on several levels. Is a waltz? No. Dancing is mentioned in the Old Testament, and is simply a form of emotional expression. You have to simply use common sense here: if close, slow dancing is for someone an occasion of sin, then it’s probably not wise to engage in it. There’s nothing inherently wrong with dancing.

Jer.31

[list=1]
]4] Again I will build you, and you shall be built,
O virgin Israel!
Again you shall adorn yourself with timbrels,
and shall go forth in the
* dance** of the merrymakers.
]13] Then shall the maidens rejoice in the* dance**,
and the young men and the old shall be merry.
I will turn their mourning into joy,
I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.
[/list] Seems even God likes a good Tango. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.