Daniel 14:23-27?

**“And in that same place there was a great dragon, which they of Babylon worshipped. And the king said unto Daniel, Wilt thou also say that this is of brass? lo, he liveth, he eateth and drinketh; thou canst not say that he is no living god: therefore worship him. Then said Daniel unto the king, I will worship the LORD my God: for he is the living God. But give me leave, O king, and I shall slay this dragon without sword or staff. The king said, I give thee leave. Then Daniel took pitch, and fat, and hair, and did seethe them together, and made lumps thereof: this he put in the dragon’s mouth, and so the dragon burst in sunder: and Daniel said, Lo, these are the gods ye worship.” — Daniel 14:23-27 **

Im wondering what this thing is these people are worshiping? Its obviously something alive.

Not sure what is meant by ‘burst in sunder’ though, Im guessing it exploded…or? if it exploded, how did pitch, fat and hair do this? Kind of strange.

I came across a website that spoke about alot of historical people, like Marco Polo, St George, and others, who, by their descriptions, are seeing ‘some’ kind of animal that does not exist in our time…??

Marco Polo wrote:
“ Here are found snakes and huge serpents, ten paces in length and ten spans in girth (meaning 50 ft. long and 100 inch circumference). At the fore part, near the head, they have two short legs, each with three claws, as well as eyes larger than a loaf and very glaring. The jaws are wide enough to swallow a man, the teeth are large and sharp, and their whole appearance is so formidable that neither man, nor any kind of animal can approach them without terror. Others are of smaller size, being eight, six, or five paces long. [15]

The only thing that comes close is maybe crocodile, but they dont have huge eyes, plus they 4 legs, and a crocs body is not even close to that size…only other thing it could have been is a dinosaur, or it was something that existed then, but does not now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.