Daniel 8, 2300 Evenings

Hello, could you please explain the ram and he-goat which appears to have happened in the past but what about the 2300 evenings?

Is it actually 2300 evenings or 2300 years?

8:13-14 I heard a holy one speaking, and another holy one say to the speaker, ‘How long is this vision to be – of perpetual sacrifice, of horrifying iniquity, of sanctuary and army trampled underfoot?’ The first replied, ‘Until two thousand three hundred evenings and mornings have gone by: then the sanctuary will have its rights restored.’

Thanks.

I do not know what to tell you about the 2300 days, but the Ram and He-goat represented the kingdoms of Persia and Greece. Feel free to correct me as my history is rusty, but Persia was the Ram that was overthrown by the He-goat which was Greece. The king of Greece (Alexander the Great?) died and the kingdom (the horn) split into various kingdoms. It was a historical account of the things to come after Daniel.

An interesting earlier thread about the 70 weeks/2300 days…

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=419138

and a link to the passage and footnotes in NABRE :

usccb.org/bible/daniel/8

D-R Bible Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 14. Days. That is, six years and almost four months; which was the whole time from the beginning of the persecution of Antiochus till his death. (Challoner) — He began in the year 143, and died in the year 149, according to the era of Seleucus. (Haydock) — The temple was purified in the mean time, 1 Machabees i. 21., and vi. 16. (Worthington) — Full days are specified. Sacrifice entirely ceased for three years, in the year 145, chap. vii. 25. Symmachus has 2,400, others 2,200, as quoted by St. Jerome. We know not whether the solar year of 365 days, or the lunar of 354, be meant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.