Daniel 9:25-27

To anyone willing to help me with a few questions:

I have more recently decided to return to Daniel chapter 9 and continue a study that I started many years ago. I became frustrated with the attempt and the lack of information I could find at that time so I gave up my pursuit of its truth and meaning. More recently, the past few days I began to dive into it again.

Well, here goes…It may be a bit erratic or scattered, but please bear with me:

I see that the “English Standard Version” has it worded this way:
Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with squares and moat, but in a troubled time."

This seems to make more sense to me, considering the conflict I find with other translations.

So that it reads there is a period of seven ‘sevens’ from the time the word goes out to rebuild Jerusalem until the anointed one comes.

Then for a period of sixty-two ‘sevens’ it is rebuilt, and when this set of sixty-two ‘sevens’ ends, that anointed one is cut-off.

Now, what these ‘sevens’ represent in “time” is another study.

Is the first set of seven ‘sevens’, the same time increment used in the second set of sixty-two ‘sevens’?

I have heard that this period of time, ‘seven’, represents a year, so that 49 years transpire for the first set of ‘sevens’.

Yet it couldn’t be used to determine the second set of ‘sevens’ being that it would mean the anointed one lives for 434 years.

What exactly determines what the word ‘sevens’ mean?

I suppose it could be years, but that it could also represent an all together differing set of ‘sevens’, such as new moon to new moon, or a month.

So if the first set is a determination of years, being 49…

And the second set of ‘sevens’ is a determination of months, being 434 months, or 36 years and some days…
So that when the anointed one is around the age of 36, he is cut-off, from the land of the living, as the cutting off, i have determined to be related to a verse in Isaiah:
Chapter 53:8
English Standard Version
“By oppression and judgment he was taken away; and as for his generation, who considered that he was cut off out of the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people?”

But can this jive with the whole of it, being that the sets of ‘sevens’ aren’t necessarily the same time length, yet all together still a “seven”?

I also had thoughts arrive about two separate verses…The first: 9:27 “And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the offering to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.” That perhaps this is stating that in the midst of the ‘seven’, he ( being the anointed one ) ends the continual sacrificial offering, which is the abomination of desolation…? So that in Dan. 12:11…"“From the time that the daily sacrifice is abolished and the abomination that causes desolation is set up, there will be 1,290 days." Rather, that the continual offering/sacrifice is the abomination of desolation that is set-up. The abolishing of it, is what the anointed one does?

Okay, so I am back to the 70 ‘sevens’ of Daniel 9!
I guess I tend to get stuck on stupid!
I keep studying this and I just watched a few videos relating this prophecy to Jesus, as the anointed one" in the verse. I am not debating who it is, but rather the timing of the arrival of the anointed one.
The commentators go on to speak of the decree in 444 to rebuild Jerusalem, including its walls. Every video I watched, or website I have read speaks of this decree as the one that is mentioned in Daniel 9:25.
Yet, being stuck on stupid as I am: if that conclusion of the commentators is true and correct, that would mean that in 444 bc, the decree mentioned in verse 25 occurs, then 49 years later, Jesus comes…? Seriously? So Jesus came in the year 395 bc?
And then after 62 sevens he is cut off, so that asserts that Jesus arrived in 395 bc, and lived for a total of 434 years until he was cut off.
This isn’t the case though, or is it? So it cant be the decree that is spoken of in Daniel 9:25, with any relationship to Jesus.
So, having said that, a few of the other videos, say that the two periods, one being 7 ‘sevens’, and the second being 62 ‘sevens’ is concurrent, and it is after the 69 ‘sevens’ that the anointed one comes.
So let me start here, with this conclusion of the few videos that contained this “truth”…
If that is true, that after the decree is issued, a period of 69 ‘sevens’ occurs and then the anointed one arrives. Yet in verse 26, it states that after 62 ‘sevens’ he ( the anointed one ) is cut-off. How can this possibly be true if he doesn’t arrive until the 69th ‘seven’?
Am I over complicating this? I keep going back and forth in my head and I keep getting stuck on stupid.

I copied and pasted this from my facebook page.

Thank you for your time,
Christopher Nobles

Are you certain that 7 + 62 are concurrent? If so, the result is 62, not 69.

I guess it depends if the decree from Cyrus + 483 matches up time wise.

Good luck on your Biblical scholarship!

ICXC NIKA

The way I read it is this

“From the going forth of the word to restore and build Jerusalem …” This is the work of John the Baptist.

“to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks.” This is Jesus coming to John the Baptist being baptized and being proclaimed anointed by the voice from heaven and the Holy Spirit.

"“Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built” this is the ministry of Jesus Christ building the kingdom of God.

“After the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off …” This begins with the triumphant march into Jerusalem, in the midst of the week He was crucified, and the seventy weeks ends with the resurrection.

The word ‘sevens’ (or ‘weeks’) is translated from the Hebrew word ‘shabuwa’ and it was directly related to the old Sabbatical system. The Jews understood Daniels 70 ‘sevens’ to mean the sabbatical years and that is why it is said to be 490 years. (70*7=490)

Daniel breaks it into 7 weeks, 62 weeks, and 1 week. (in other words, 49yrs+434yrs+7yr = 490 years.)

I believe these years were consecutive, and were counting down to Messiah. When we read of John the Baptist, and study the times of the Dead Sea scrolls we notice an intense anticipation of Messiahs coming. The reason related to this matter. People must have been counting the ‘weeks.’

An understanding of Daniel prophecy has been complicated by awkward translations, prophetic agendas, and various eschatological theologies. In particular, modern Rabbinic Jews have shifted the start and end-points in order to obfuscate the countdown to Jesus of Nazareth. You’ll be lucky to find a consensus.

May I recommend the following book dealing with this subject. Google “The Atonement Clock” If you are interested, here is an introduction:

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.