Daniels fast?

Anyone ever follow the 21 day fast called Daniels Fast?

danielfast.wordpress.com/

This is a made up tradition and precept of men followed by pop-evangelicals.

NONE of the pre-Reformation churches know of such a fast. All know of the Lenten and Advent fasts. Some have a Fast of the Ninevites. None of them have “Daniel fast.”

The very fact that no Apostolic church knows of this invention should tell you something.

Made up? This is not doctrine I am asking about. Just a fast like the one Daniel refers to. I have a friend, a very orthodox RC priest who suggested this to us. Geez Louise, I could ‘fast’ from tv or radio, but there is no pre-reformation info. on this either. lighten up.

Just vegetables and water? Sounds very strict. Make sure to consult a doctor before undertaking something like this.

I’d also ease into it and out of it slowly - maybe try a few days where you have two normal meals and one meal just of the vegetables and water, then if you’re OK after that a few more days with one normal meal and two of just vegetables and water.

No no, not just vegetables and water. legumes and grains of every sort. No meat, fish, dairy, sugar, processed foods.

** Just vegetables and water? Sounds very strict. Make sure to consult a doctor before undertaking something like this. **

This regimen is typically observed by devout Orthodox, Byzantine Catholics, and other Eastern Christians for the 40 days of Lent and other times.

Fish is allowed on Palm Sunday and Annunciation.

It CAN be done.

I’m not saying it can’t be done, but such wholesale elimination of particular food groups such as meat, fish and dairy, is stringent enough, and has severe enough effects, especally on people’s systems who are unused to such fasting, or who are compromised by things like the incresingly common diabetes, that it shouldn’t be undertaken without medical advice is all I’m saying.

The majority of doctors will give the majority of patients the all clear to do so, of course, but that’s no reason the advice shouldn’t be sought.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.