Danish teen faces fines for using pepper spray on sex attacker

Washington Times:

Danish teen faces fines for using pepper spray on sex attacker

A 17-year-old girl in Denmark has seen a wave of support after police threatened to fine her for using pepper spray to fight off a sex attacker.The teenager told police Wednesday evening that she was sexually assaulted by a dark-skinned English-speaking man near a migrant asylum center in central Sønderborg. She said the man knocked her to the ground and tried to undress her before she was able to fight him off with her pepper spray, which is illegal in Denmark, The Local reported.

“It is illegal to possess and use pepper spray, so she will likely be charged for that,” local police spokesman Knud Kirsten told the Danish channel TV Syd.
The man who allegedly attacked the girl fled the scene and has not been charged. It is unclear if the man was an asylum seeker or refugee.
Numerous readers wrote in the comments section on TV Syd’s story about the incident that they would be willing to pay the girl’s fine, which will most likely be 500 kroner, or $730, The Local reported.

The news comes after several female residents in Sønderborg reported earlier this month that they felt harassed by some of the asylum seekers in the area. A nightclub in the town has gone as far as barring guests if they cannot speak Danish, English or German.

Self-defense is prohibited in Denmark? I’m astonished, or maybe not, since all of Europe seems ready to surrender.

In the words of Harry Potter, “Riddikulus!” Reminds me, I need to fetch out my own pepper spray and make sure it’s in my current purse…

I am shocked! You can’t use pepper spray?!

“Pepper spray is illegal” does not equal “self-defense is illegal”.

I think pepper spray should be legal, but one thing is not the other.

What happened to the attacker? Is he free to go attack someone else? The police should be more concerned about that.

She should carry wasp killer–it’s probably legal and it sprays further.

A guy knocks her to the ground and tries to remove her clothing, and she gets in trouble?

Even if she’s fined or sent to jail, at least she didn’t get raped.:shrug:

Let’s look at this logically. If someone is illegally carrying a handgun, but they use it for self-defense, they are still committing a crime. The crime wasn’t the defense. The crime was the illegal weapon.

More importantly, why in the world does Denmark ban pepper spray?

This kind of thinking is a daily mentality in some places where women are basically second-class citizens.

Victim-blaming at its finest.

And I’m sure if it were a white male Christian, feminists would be cheering her for her resolve.

This is exactly why the days of post-modern liberalism are numbered.

The police in Europe are notorious for either doing nothing or even covering up the crimes of immigrants.

I would guess that that would still be considered a weapon were it sprayed in an assailant’s eyes. Personally, I think a much better tactic would be to carry a handful or three of sand or gravel in one’s pocket or purse, and then to fling it sharply and suddenly right into an attacker’s eye’s. Afterwards it would be best to simply run for it, rather than to follow up with an improvised weapon such as wasp killer or a padlock in a sock, because then the woman will definitely get arrested when she reports being attacked. And of course, that would only work on a single assailant who was taken by surprise. It wouldn’t work on a group of men. The prospect of sexual assault must be terrifying to women over there.:frowning:

Self-defense wasn’t the woman’s crime. Her crime was the illegal weapon she was carrying.

You make an interesting point: that if a woman defends herself eith an illegal item, she will not report the attempt…

Also, I gather that you are saying any thing she used in self-defense would be illegal, so self-defense would be illegal, which can’t be right.

It seems unChristian to discuss this subject at length, although I’m very tempted to do so.

The best defense is to simply not get in that situation in to begin with.

And just what situation did this girl get herself into?

She was nearly raped. But what I meant was, it would probably be more appropiate for me to advise females to always be hyper-aware of their surroundings, rather than for me to advise specific methods and mindsets for dealing with sexual predators. I can recommend an excellent book, though, called Below the Belt, by Bradley Steiner. It’s a book I believe all women should read. Females in Seattle can contact the author directly.

No one deserves to be raped.

It’s the politicians who should be held criminally liable for the attack. In the main those Nordic countries were once the safest places in the world until the politicians let in all those Muslims. Liberalism is a dangerous ideology to the citizens who have to live under it.

I think it is ridiculous that Danes aren’t allowed to own pepper spray. How else are they going to defend themselves against a violent attacker?

I expect intentionally spraying a pesticide at someone would be illegal (it is in the USA).
Also, watch this video; it doesn’t work very well to stop an attacker.
youtube.com/watch?v=9Uy9MnQfk_0

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.