Dante's metaphor for the Blessed Mother?

Mary is to the Church what Beatrice is to Dante in The Divine Comedy (specifically Dante’s Paradiso). Any opinions on this? For, against, indifferent…?

Please discuss.

:whistle:

anybody

cough

:yawn:

:wave: Hi CAF! Hey, guess what?

Mary is to the Church what Beatrice is to Dante in The Divine Comedy (specifically Dante’s Paradiso). Any opinions on this? For, against, indifferent…?

Please discuss.

come on people, throw me a bone!
All the times I’ve helped y’all out with your apologetics efforts, and nobody can offer anything??

:coffeeread:

Who cares what Dante said?

It’s not so much what he said as what he wrote. But thanks for the bump! :slight_smile:

**What sort of question is that :frowning: ? **

**To the OP: I doubt this is the best place for the question - but that’s just MO. **

Yes there are two ways of reading Beatrice, one is as a love interest and the other is as a symbol of the blessed mother. I particularly love Dante’s La Vita Nuova…that is some of his most beautiful work!

I do. I enjoy reading the Divine Comedy!

Does anyone know of any good books that make this link?

I’ve always wanted to read Dante’s work. I hope that you all keep discussing symbolism so that when I finally do get around to reading he work, I will be able to understand it more fully.:slight_smile:

Just as an interesting tidbit…did you know that Dante was one of the artist Michelangelo’s favorite writers?

I Thought that Beatrice was an allegory for Faith or Revelation in general. I never thought of an allegory for The Church or The Blessed Virgin!

Was this in a commentary you read?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.