Dante's Seven Deadly Sins

Pride is the highest. What are examples of pride? Attitude or action? Can it be successfully eliminated?

I think we can eliminate prideful responses by first having patience, deciding what is humble in a situation, and then acting on that. Pride is about yourself. Being humble before God is about what God wants. I am 42. I know right from wrong. When I sin it is probably also a sin of pride because I make my will more important than God’s will. Unless God forgives me through his own grace, which is his option not obligation, and teaches me how to overcome, that probably makes me one of the worst kind of fools. A proud wise fool. Pray for me.

Being Proud of being intelligent is the worst.

I always believed Sloth was the highest, but now I learned something when I looked more into it thanks to this thread:

Pride is an inordinate desire of our own elevation and a vain complacency in ourselves. All vices spring from pride. The chief of these are vainglory, boasting, luxury, pompousness, haughtyness, ambition, hypocrisy, presumtion, obstinancy, disobedience, self-delusion with regard to our own defects.

Sloth produces idleness, loss of time, negligence, ignorance, inconstancy in keeping good resolutions, tepidity, temptations of all kind and cowardice which disposes us to yield to them.

Covetousness (Greed) is an inordinate love of money and the goods of this world. It produces neglect of salvation, selfishness, hardness towards the poor, craftiness, injustice, quarrels; to say nothing of cares, anxieties and murmurings against Divine Providence.

Lust, or the vice opposed to chastity, and forbidden by the sixth and ninth commandments is the vile source of innumerable sins. Moreover, the criminal affection for carnal pleasures produces disgust for piety, darkness of the understanding, hardness of heart, the diminution and even extinction of faith. It destroys the health of the body and the noblest qualities of the soul, brings trouble and ruin upon families, and often leads to final impenitence.

Anger is an emotion or an inordinate transport of the soul, which causes us violently to reject what displeases us, and impels us to take revenge on those who contradict us. The effects of anger are hatred, revenge, obscene language, cursing, blasphemies, outrages, sometimes dueling and murder. Anger becomes a mortal sin when the emotion goes so far as to extinguish the love of God and our neighbor and makes us blaspheme and commit other sins of serious gravity.

Gluttony is an inordinate love of eating and drinking, or the evil inclination that inclines man to the immoderate use of food and drink. The slaves of this degrading vice stoop so low as to make a god of their belly (Phil. iii.). Gluttony produces drunkenness, impurity, outbursts of passion, blasphemies, angry quarrels, blows or threats, heaviness of soul, disgust for spiritual things, disregard of the laws of the Church for fast and abstinence.

Envy is the sadness that springs from witnessing the spiritual or temporal good of another, because it seems to lessen our own, or our own merit. This vice engenders rash judgments, detraction, malicious joy at the faults or disgrace of our neighbor, hatred and vexations of all kinds.

I thought it might help to post here the questions related to pride that I ask myself when preparing for Confession:

Do I entertain too great an opinion of myself or value myself above my deserts?
Have I a superior attitude in thinking, or speaking or acting?
Have I refused to admit my own weakness (es)?
Am I snobbish?
Have I offensive, haughty ways of acting or carrying myself?
Do I hold myself above others?
Do I demand recognition?
Do I desire to be always first?
Do I never seek advice? Am I ready to accept advice?
Have I refused to learn from others?
Am I in any sense a “bully”? Am I inclined to be “bossy”?
Am I prone to belittle persons, or places, or things?
Am I prone to be critical of persons, places, things?
Do I speak ill of others?
Have I lied about others?
Do I make known the faults of others?
Am I ready to speak about the faults of others? Do I find fault easily?
Do I seek to place the blame on others, excusing myself?
Am I quick to see the faults of others? Or dwell on others’ faults?
Do I ridicule others?
Is there anyone to whom I refuse to speak? Is there anyone to whom I have not spoken for a long time?
Am I prone to argue? Am I positive and offensive in my arguments? Have I a superior, “a know-it-all attitude” in arguments?
Have I been stubborn? Refused to admit I was wrong? Refused to accept that another person had a better idea?
Am I self-conscious?
Does human respect enter into my daily life?
Am I sensitive? Am I easily wounded?
Do I tend to publish what I think good in myself, that I may be esteemed by others?
Am I arrogant, attributing to myself the good I have not?
Am I presumptuous and overly ambitious, by confiding too much in my own strength, conceiving myself capable of accomplishing things above my abilities, and in rashly attempting them?
Do I have contempt of others, on account of the good opinions I have of myself, and is this contempt manifested by words or actions or by being severe and exacting on inferiors?
Do I neglect to submit to my superiors, by disobeying them, blaming their conduct, or murmuring against them?
Do I refuse to acknowledge my faults; or when, in confessing the facts, we maintain we have done well, or at least allege false excuses?
Do I have contempt of admonitions and corrections?
Am I ungrateful for God’s benefits?
Have I been content with my lowly position, or have I resented the role that Christ asks of me?
False-humility fails to use our gifts. Have I neglected to use the talents that God has given me?

Humility.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.