Dark Knight Movie Ferry Scene

So, watched the Dark Knight movie recently. I saw the ferry scene and I was wondering from a Catholic moral perspective, what do you do if you had to decide and you were on one of the ferries? I can’t think of a reason in which it would be justifiable to blow the other boat up, but I was wondering what you all think.

I dunno about a Catholic moral perspective, but somebody I watched the movie with made the point of the Joker, being completely psychopathic in this movie, might have very well told each ferry that he’d given them the detonator for the other ferry…but in reality, might have given each ferry their own detonator. So if the ferry of Good Citizens pressed the button, thinking they would blow up the Criminals’ ferry, they would have wound up blowing themselves up instead.

I don’t think you should kill the people on Boat X to save the people on Boat Y, even if You are on Boat Y. It seems to violate the command not to do evil that good may come.

Throw away the trigger immediately so none fall for the temptation near the end minutes, as it’s not an option, as other posters have said, the ends don’t justify the means, “The greater good” justifies a great many evils, and he rigged the ships with explosives, so he’s not exactly an ethical or trustworthy fellow, so for all we know it’s the detonator to our own ship.

So yea, throw it away immediately, so it’s not even a temptation, then spend what little time we have left, trying to find someone who can figure out a way to disarm the explosives or something. Or just pray and keep a look out for any opportunity that may present itself inside the parameters of the trap he set for us.

That would be my ideal scenario.

The prison guy did the only right thing by throwing it away I think, but they didn’t really do much else on either ships other than sit around watching the clock and perhaps praying, the praying part no doubt would help, but I would have been trying to hear ideas and see if anything else was possible.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

I would try to figure out what would cause the least death, and then I would make that decision. Even if it means committing an evil to prevent a worse evil.

The reason is that I would feel responsible for whoever died, regardless of my choice. So it’s not a choice between killing and not killing, it’s a choice between killing less or killing more. I’m not going to try to wash my hands of a hard choice; that didn’t work for Pontius Pilate so it won’t work in other hard choices.

The morally correct conclusion is to refuse to detonate the device. Hence it was wise to remove the temptation – “avoid near occasions of sin” – by throwing away the detonator, as the criminal did. It was one of the film’s best moments.

I’m surprised this isn’t immediately obvious. If you disagree or don’t see this, please spend more time learning moral analysis: Catholic.com has had numerous articles and podcasts explaining it.

It’s interesting you bring up Pontius Pilate, because that’s exactly what Pontius Pilate did, what would have been better, kill this innocent man? Or set him free, outraging the people and causing an insurrection in the city against the Romans leading to the deaths of several?

Our creed will now forever read “Suffered under Pontius Pilate” who could not simply wash his hands of it.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

You missed my point; I think I didn’t explain it as well as I could have.

My point is that no matter what Pilate chose the resulting death or deaths would have been his responsibility because he had the power to affect the outcome, and that pretending otherwise would be wrong on his part. In other words, by saying “I am innocent of the blood of this just person”, he became a coward and a liar as well as a killer. In my mind he’s worse than the people who actually did the stabbing and crucifying, because at least they were honest about what they were doing.

Though to answer your question, I would spare the innocent man (I’m not factoring in that the innocent man in this instance is the son of God, because Pilate didn’t have that information at the time when he had to make that decision) and put the police on high alert (the basis of this decision is that one innocent life is worth more than the lives of several rioters [who because of their rioting are guilty]). I would own up to the fact that I made the choice though; I wouldn’t pretend that the dead rioters were somehow something I had nothing to do with.

This is the part I was and am trying to object to. As many evil things can be committed using this as a justification. Just like pulling the trigger and blowing up the other ferry such as in The Dark Knight movie.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.