Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross

What is the easiest translation of Dark Night of the Soul by St. John of the Cross to read ? English is not my first language, so any recommending ?

I recommend the translation published by ICS Publications which includes Dark Night of the Soul among all the Saint’s other works in one volume:

icspublications.org/bookstore/cross/b_cross01.html

I think it will be more accessible to you than Alison Peer’s translation.

Are you looking for the easiest English translation? or a translation in your native language?

Iam looking for the easiest English translation.

The ICS is a great deal clearer than Allison Peers. It is, for starters, written in more contemporary English. (I always think that getting up-to-date language is half the battle…).

I also agree that ICS Publications version is better to read. I’ve bought this recently as I struggled getting my head round the translation by E. Allison Peers.

What’s the book about? Is it good? :slight_smile:

I’ve only read one translation so I don’t know how it compares with others.
What I can say is that I found it easy to read and follow.

The translation I have is a new one dated 2002 by Mirabai Starr.

Its from Riverhead Books, New York.

It’s a classic of Catholic spirituality. St. John, using poetic imagery, addresses the stages of purification the soul goes through as it draws into intimacy with God. It’s very good. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.