Darn street preachers!!!

I can’t stand these people! There were two of them on campus today with GIANT hate signs. Lists of the people that God hates. I mean, a few I could agree with: murderers, child molesters, abortionists, racists, rapists, ect. But they also had “Jews that worship in the synagogue of Satan”, Mormons, “Lying” Pentocostals, and of course, you guessed it…Roman Catholics. They sure hated women too. Women should never open their mouths in church, and basically really shouldn’t talk or want anything at all. Any woman or girl who said anything to them was labeled a feminist or a dyke and told she was evil.
And these guys don’t even go to church…ever. They simply read the bible and interpret it the way they see it. And they are the final authority; anyone who disagrees with them is not a real Christian.

I simply asked one of them, very calmly and politely, what they were trying to accomplish by doing this, what their goal was. And what was I met with? This stupid old man gets right in my face and starts screaming at me. Every question I asked, he sidestepped it and quoted some random bible verse to me. Finally I asked him what his problem with Catholics was, and he’s like “Oh, how much time do you have? Why do you even have to ask?” So I say, “I’m a Catholic and I’d really like to know what you don’t like about them.” Still speaking calmly and politely mind you. So, of course he starts yelling at the top of his lungs again about “Oh, brother, no wonder you don’t know anything! There’s so much I couldn’t tell you it all.” So, still calmly I say, “Pick one or two things and tell me…I guarentee it’s because you’re misunderstanding them.” What does he do then? Passes it off to some girl that’s standing by agreeing with half the stuff he says and he goes off yelling about gay people. He obviously didn’t know as much as he thought. I cleared up a few things with this girl, though, and we had quite a civil talk. I didn’t convert her, by any means, but now she understands (at least to some extent, the sacrament of confession and the saints).

The other guy (there were two with signs) was just as bad with his sign, but he would actually talk with people in a level voice and let them finish a sentance. I talked with him for about 5 minutes (and we agreed on many things we discussed) before I told him I was a Catholic. First, though, I explained to him that this should be the way they go around preaching–by simply talking to people like we were talking and explaining what we believe. That they don’t need their hate signs. But as soon as I told him I was Catholic, the conversation changed from stuff like “I use this translation of the bible” or “this is what I think of this verse” to him trying to show me that I was wrong. He was quoting bible verses (single verses, mind you; no surrounding text–the way these guys like to do) that I’ve never heard and he even tried to say that JAMES was the one that settled the council in Acts 15, not Peter! And of course, Peter was definitly NOT the first pope, oh no. Well, I was the bigger man; I shook his hand and told him it was nice talking with him and that I’d pray for him. And he actually thanked me. A little kindness goes a long way–they should take that as an example.

Anyway, I hope this wasn’t too long, but I was just really frustrated with these guys. I don’t think I’ll even talk with any of these street preachers anymore. They’re just too lost. That first guy almost ended up with a broken nose.

When I was in the Navy, the two “evangilists” accused me of being brain washed by the Pope himself, St. John Paul the Great!!!

I was so proud of this, and then talked to the admin and had this group expelled from the base.

Good for you! The best part of my conversation, and this was what REALLY convinced me that this guy was full of BS was when he said, in response to my statement about Peter the Rock, “I think that’s referring to Peter’s confessional.” I think he was talking about Peter’s epistle because he was referring to that while saying this, but I have no idea what connection you could make between a ‘confessional’ and Jesus calling him the Rock. I couldn’t believe he said that. Christ called Simon the Rock in the GOSPEL and Peter’s epistle was written years after Christ had ascended into Heaven!!!

God cannot hate anyone – HE IS LOVE!

I, also, don’t see what they are trying to accomplish. Guess we just need to pray for them.

I admire you for being able to talk peacefully with at least one of them, and for keeping your cool.

Try exposing yourself to them! I’ve found that after they gasp in disbelief, they leave me righteously alone, man!

Peace!!

If only a nice group of Catholics could anticipate their demonstrations and show up to pray a Rosary for them…

I think these people came to Penn State for a few days they were brutal. They held their signs up and screamed what they had to say. They said we were going to hell. I can’t stand it. I think they were a family that travels around the country distributing their hate.

Little do these poor people know that by spreading hate and making God “look bad” they are turning people off and playing a part in Satan’s games. They value their own authority over Jesus, and even the Word of God. Sad.

Thankfully I never saw people like this at the Catholic University I attended, but when I transferred to a small state college ( Univ. West Florida) they were apleanty.

The best way to protest would be to sit on the ground with a rosary and pray peacefully for their conversion. It woudl be a nice contrast to the evil they are spreading you could even wear a sign that says “I am Roman Catholic” and you could let passers by know that all Christians are not so mislead and hateful. This would work especially well if they were persecuting you. If you were willing to do it, it would be quite the protest, and would take alot of guts.

[quote=CanonAlberic]Try exposing yourself to them! I’ve found that after they gasp in disbelief, they leave me righteously alone, man!

Peace!!
[/quote]

Curious… what do you mean by EXPOSING yourself? exposing your Catholic identity or your birthday suit? Either one would probably leave them in disbelief…

[quote=jimmy]I think these people came to Penn State for a few days they were brutal. They held their signs up and screamed what they had to say. They said we were going to hell. I can’t stand it. I think they were a family that travels around the country distributing their hate.
[/quote]

I believe you. They actually said that they travel around to do this stuff at universities. They aren’t part of any organization, but said that if there’s some other people they know in other cities they’ll call them up to do this.

[quote=Peace-bwu]Little do these poor people know that by spreading hate and making God “look bad” they are turning people off and playing a part in Satan’s games. They value their own authority over Jesus, and even the Word of God. Sad.
[/quote]

It is sad. I told them exactly this and they told me that they aren’t even trying to get people to convert. They just want to say who “makes them sick” as their signs said. They seem to think that they have been instructed by God to do this via the bible. Very sad indeed. I’ve been praying for them…but I haven’t broken out my rosary yet, maybe I’ll give that a try.

Good thing this nonsense has ended here in the Philippines. Back when such “non-denominational” groups made bus preaching (going onboard buses while preaching), street corner preaching and whatnot, they were everywhere. There’s a catch, though: these people solicit money after their “preaching”. People were annoyed by it, of course (they would pass out envelopes to bus passengers and collect them before going out) and complaints were often heard that now these things all but disappeared. I think one or two groups still do it, but I haven’t ridden a bus in years, so I wouldn’t really know.

There was a bunch from “the door” that invaded a mall in Phoenix. They stood on cement blocks and screamed at everyone leaving Macys. They refused to leave so the police were called, after which they were physically removed from the property.
The next night, on the local evening news, one of their spokesmen was explaining to a talking head how their religious rights had been violated by being expelled from the mall. The talking head was actually sympathetic to the nut case on air.
Those people are scary!

Was it this guy?

(WARNING: Offensive material on the following link!)
godhatesfags.com/sermons/sermons.html
godhatesfags.com/images/2005/20050418_gsa-club-thibodaux.jpg

This guy and his family do a LOT of hate speaking…they’ve been mentioned on these forums a few times, and have been reported nationally as religious hate-mongers…

[quote=RyanL]…godhatesfags.com/images/2005/20050418_gsa-club-thibodaux.jpg
[/quote]

Do you think the young boy in this picture has any idea what he is doing? Is the poor kid just a puppet for Satan? How sad these preachers ‘use’ kids to carry on Satans work.:frowning:

That poor kid. Lord please have mercy on him; don’t punish him for his parent’s actions. Boy, I don’t know if I would be able to keep my cool at something like that. I’m going to be a cop, and I really hope I don’t get stuck “protecting” those kinds of people’s “rights” some time.

The intellectual/spiritual abuse/malformation of children only gets worse on the site. If there are people on the other end of this who need our prayers, it’s the children:

[list]
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (1 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (2 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (3 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (4 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (5 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (6 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (7 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (8 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (9 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (10 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (11 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (12 of 13) (3-20-2005)
*]WBC children wearing godhatesfags.com and godhatesamerica.com T-shirts (13 of 13) (3-20-2005)
[/list]

I think that kid was carrying a sign that said “Pope in Hell”.

Unless of course, it merely said “Pope in Rome”, I’m not sure.

What a sad affair.

+T+
Michael

Hey Rand I was there that day. I walked by at around 3pm and I saw two huge banners (I’d say at least 6’ x 6’) on poles putting them like 15’ high for all to see, one said on one side “Turn to Jesus or Burn in Hell” and the otherside was a bunch of passages or some long text. I didnt catch what the other banner said. I just walked by and smiled because that usually where I see Cedric and he is usually in the same mess.
Anyway there was two guys each holding up a banner and one of them was yelling at a girl who was yelling back at him about 2 feet away from eachother. There was a crowd of about 20 plus many walking by and on the grass/benches staring as well.
I wasnt going to risk a fight or anything so I didnt say a word and decided to get out of there before a fight broke out. Its probably going to be put in the paper on Tuesday.
One thing I though was funny was that it was like 95 degrees that day so everyone was sweating and people were edgy because of the weekend so I wasnt shocked by any of it.

Hhmm…one of them yelling at a girl. Now that says a lot about their witness, which really doesn’t show much aside from them being rude.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.