Dating Christmas

Ok, this has probably been covered but…

Can anyone give me some reliable, objective information, websites or documents as to why we dated Christmans when we did? I guess I’m actually looking for the history behind the dating of Christmas.

My son has an instructor in college - a world civics class - that has told the students that it has been settled - Christ was not born in December.

While I realize there is debate on this subject and am familiar with some of the obstacles, I would like to be able to give my son the reasons why we dated Christmas on Dec. 25. I would be interested in looking at the debate among scholars, if possible but don’t know where to look. Mine and his faith will certainly not be shaken by any of this, I would just like to give him the info.

Any info, sites or documents you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

:slight_smile:

Thanks for the reference to New Advent. I had forgotten about them.

Would anyone have anything a little more succinct?
I find reading New Advent be arduous at best, especially for a 19 year old with a short attention span! I find their material hard to read. Maybe I’m just too simple minded.

Thanks again.

[quote=DianJo]Thanks for the reference to New Advent. I had forgotten about them.

Would anyone have anything a little more succinct?
I find reading New Advent be arduous at best, especially for a 19 year old with a short attention span! I find their material hard to read.
[/quote]

I came across this:

christianitytoday.com/history/newsletter/2000/dec08.html

It’s not Catholic, but it seems to agree essentially with New Advent ( I didn’t go through point by point), and is easier to read. :wink:

Thanks so much for that link.

Anyone else got anything to add? Please?!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.