Daughter fell down stairs

Daughter fell down a flight of 12 stairs today and it was very very scary. It was a accident and she when to the ER and there was only a small bump on the back of her head. with in a hour she was back to normal. i am so very thankful. I want to fast to show my appericatation. I really like food and i feel like this small sacrifice is a good way to show my love for him and my apperication. I was thinking of only eat before the sunrose or once a day in the morning. Thoughts, feelings and advice becuase i dont do things like this so i am very new. thanks in advance for all of the advice.

Are you Catholic? I don’t think changing your eating habits is called for but you should offer up a prayer of thanksgiving to the Blessed Mother and your daughter’s Guardian Angel for protecting her from harm. If you want to do more than maybe you can somehow donate to or otherwise support a local children’s charity.

i will be doing the RCIA program this year. i was unable to finish last year becuase of my health. It isnt my eating habits forever just for a while to show my apperication physically. I have never prayed to a angel and I dont know a prayer of thanksgiving for the Blessed Mother, if it is just saying thank you i dont think that shows how much i appericate it.

[quote="Flannelfunk, post:1, topic:210006"]
Daughter fell down a flight of 12 stairs today and it was very very scary. It was a accident and she when to the ER and there was only a small bump on the back of her head. with in a hour she was back to normal. i am so very thankful. I want to fast to show my appericatation. I really like food and i feel like this small sacrifice is a good way to show my love for him and my apperication. I was thinking of only eat before the sunrose or once a day in the morning. Thoughts, feelings and advice becuase i dont do things like this so i am very new. thanks in advance for all of the advice.

[/quote]

How long of a fast are you intending? How about giving up a favorite treat for a week instead?, like skipping the ice cream or chocolate? Or donating the money you would spend on such a treat to some charity or other?

I have to say when I was three, I asked my brother to push me down a flight of stairs (about twelve steps) because I wanted to see what it was like. I was a weird kid, I guess. He obliged, I went cart-wheeling down and was more scared than hurt at the end of it. He was sent to his room and then I had nobody to play with, which really disappointed me at the time. Poor bro, my babysitting older sister was beyond angry at him!

I’m so glad that your daughter is all right. God be praised!

I think the typical rules for official fasts (like on Ash Wednesday) are 1 meal plus 2 snacks that do not together add up to a full meal and only water. Any time of day. (I’m not 100% sure on these rules, I’m sure someone will correct me if I’m wrong…) I would not go beyond this without direction and approval of a priest or spiritual director, as there are dangers involved when entering into serious mortifications on our own.

An alternative act of thanksgiving might be to volunteer extra time, or set aside extra prayer time, or to make a donation, etc. You could also make a novena of thanksgiving. (a novena is nine days of prayer, you can google many beautiful novenas).

I have been doing a novena to St. Jude already. I feel a real connection to him and have noticed a change in me already and i am on day 6. I will ask a Priest and spend more time praying until I get proper guidance. Thank you all very much for all of your help! If there is anything else i am all ears.

Novenas are awesome. They come in handy with all sorts of circumstance.

Personally, I see fasting as atonement. Our Jewish ancestors, as well as other faiths, practice this often or for long periods of time. What you need is something celebratory because your daughter is ok. A treat like ice cream for both of you might be more suitable than a sacrifice. Remember the story Jesus told of the prodigal son. The father through a big party when the son was home, safe and sound.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.