Daughter Not Motivated

DD just doesn’t seem to care about school. She is not motivated at all to do good in school. We have tried so many different things to get her motivated but nothing really seems to work. All she really cares about is looking cute and being popular. She tells us she is going to change and try but she doesn’t. She hangs out with kids that are up to no good.

Last year she got Fs the whole year. She said this year would be different but she’s already starting with the same pattern.

She is not interested even in God some times when I try talking to her about him.

Please pray that she responds to God’s call for her to come to him and change her ways.

Blessings.

For your intentions

Our Father,
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours now and forever.
Amen.

Hail, Mary! Full of grace, The Lord is with thee;
Blessed are thou among women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray for us sinners,
Now, and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning,
is now, and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Lord Jesus, heal thy servant DD from whatever is affecting her. Amen

St. Joseph, pray for us

Is it possible for her to change schools? Does she have outside school activities, like the band or debate team? We had the same problem with my daughter, and she finally ended up leaving high school for a study at home program, where she did quite well, and got her high school diploma. She has a good work ethic and now has a very good job, but she still has no interest in continuing her education.

I’ll say a prayer but I’d like to add that it’d be a good idea to have her thourly checked for learning disabilities and processing disorders. The only thing in school as a kid that interested me was my friends and the scrapes we could get into…I didn’t know until I was in college why my grades were so bad, and why English, Math and other subjects were just plain impossible for me. I wasn’t learning.

Perhaps enroll her in a big sisters program, or ask an older well-mannered teen to adopt her not becuase you’re a bad or poor parent but becuase she will not accept your rule.

Hello Catholic,
I actually just changed her to a new school. So the school she is attending this year is a different one than the one from last year. And she had said that things were going to be different this year and I had talked to her and told her that going to this school was like a “FRESH AND BRAND NEW START.” Like I said she said she was really going to try this year but now she’s back to the same. I found out last week that she hasn’t been doing or turning in some of her homework assignments or class work. We have a daily planner for her to fill in her assignments and then have each teacher sign off on them but she is still managing to trick us so that she doesn’t have to do them. I feel like I’m a detective always having to be checking and monitoring since she’s so dishonest. I’m just sad and stressed.

I will look into a big sisters program. I had also gotten her a tutor last year which I didn’t find to work, since what it really boiled down to was her deciding not to do the work. So when she went to the tutor the work got done and the days that she didn’t go she didn’t get it done. She will just come home and tell me there is not homework when there is. As for the “older well-mannered teen,” I don’t really know of any. I really don’t know many teens. I wish I did. :shrug:

She may have a learning disability like ADD or dyslexia.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

You should probably start directly contacting her teachers to find out what her homework assignments are. And then again to ensure that she’s handed them in. Do this regularly for a short time (until your daughter gets the message), then tell her you’ll keep making checks at random times. And let her see and hear you doing it occasionally.

Sounds drastic, but she’s proven untrustworthy and so until she can earn your trust again by being truthful about what homework she has to do, and doing it, then you have the right and the duty to go elsewhere for the information.

If all else fails, homeschool.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.