Daughter of Jairus

Do we not believe that Jesus raised (resuscitated) this girl from the dead?

If so, what do we make of the Lord saying that she was not dead, but asleep?

If we take Him literally, we should not say that He raised her from the dead. If we don’t take Him literally, what purpose could His statement serve?

Her sleep was a temporary death.

*He said this, and then told them, “Our friend Lazarus is asleep, but I am going to awaken him.” So the disciples said to him, “Master, if he is asleep, he will be saved.” But Jesus was talking about his death, while they thought that he meant ordinary sleep. So then Jesus said to them clearly, “Lazarus has died." (John 11:11-14) *

-Tim-

When Jesus says someone is sleeping, he’s using sleep as a metaphor to show that their death is not permanent.

Just for fun and further discussion…

Or was her death a temporary sleep?

Going back to the book of Daniel (12), human death is often called sleep as a comforting metaphor.

This is because dead bodies initially look like sleeping bodies and are similarly quiescent.

Also, what is hideous and fearsome about human death – it’s finality and duration – were of no consequence when our LORD was physically around, as HE could easily raise the bodies.

Note also that this was not a “raising from the dead” ie a resurrectional body, or pneumatikon soma. She was restored to her original body and life, to one day die again – a resuscitiation, not a resurrection.

ICXC NIKA

Perhaps you would feel more comfortable in the Traditional Catholicism forum? I have instructed the bartender to provide you with the finest CiTT thread we have, on the house. :smiley:

-Tim-

O my!:highprayer:

The Lord specifically said “she is not dead, but asleep” after the people told Him that she was dead. That’s different from what He said about Lazarus.

Unfortunately, the understanding of those who were there at the time and those whom they taught say the girl was dead.

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 24. The girl is not dead. Christ, by saying so, insinuated that she was not dead in such a manner as they imagined; that is, so as to remain dead, but presently to return to life, as if she had been only asleep. (Witham) — But sleepeth. In the xi. chapter of St. John, Christ again calls death a sleep. Our friend Lazarus sleepeth. Thus he teaches us to be no longer in dread of death, since it was reduced to the condition of a sleep. If you believe this, why do you vainly weep? why do you afflict yourself? this the Gentiles do, who have not faith. Your child is asleep, not dead, is gone to a place of rest, not to destruction. Therefore the royal prophet says, “Turn, O my soul, into thy rest, for the Lord hath been bountiful to thee.” (Psalm cxiv.) If then it is a kindness, why should you weep? what else could you do at the death of an adversary, an enemy, the object of your greatest aversion? (St. Chrysostom, hom. xxxii.) — Christ here asserts that the girl is only asleep, to shew that it was as easy for him to raise her from death as from sleep. (Theophylactus)

there is waiting

hope this helps
God bless

This is a brilliant question.

I always presumed the child died and was raised to life. When Jesus said the child was asleep he had already brought her back to life, and after this she just woke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.