Daughter received host twice

This morning at Mass, my daughter received two hosts at Communion. She is 8 years old. At our church, everyone comes up the main aisle for Communion, in two lines. At the front of the church, there are 3 EM's (with the Body of Christ) plus the priest (plus EM's with the Blood of Christ). In our line, one EM stands at the head of the line, and another EM stands slightly off to the side, both with the hosts. People alternate going to each. The second one was late getting to her station, for some reason, so we were all going to the first EM. The second EM arrived at her place, and my daughter had just received communion and was crossing over to receive the Precious Blood. That second EM kind of stood right in front of her and handed her a host (not realizing she had already received one). Not knowing what to do, my daughter accepted it and consumed it. I was ahead of her and was waiting to receive the wine, but i glanced at her and realized what was happening. I wasn't sure what to do. I know we aren't supposed to receive communion twice in one day unless attending two separate Masses. But my daughter doesn't know this, and did what she felt the EM in front of her, as an adult, expected her to do, which was accept the Host. I had about two seconds to stop it, but the only thing I could have done really was to take a few steps over, grab her arm and pull her away from the EM, and I hesitated because I hated to embarrass her in front of the entire church like that, and then it was too late.
My questions: Is it a sin to receive two hosts in one Mass like this? I assume that even if it is, my daughter is innocent, because she didn't know any better. Was it a sin for me to not stop her? If so, was it mortal, do I need to confess this immediately? What should I do if this happens again? I already told my daughter that if she should only receive one host, and if someone tries to hand her another, she should just shake her head and walk on. However she's only 8 and may forget this if it happens again in the future. This has never happened before so i didn't exactly have a plan prepared.

The answer to all your questions is no.

She did not receive “twice”. In the context of Mass, she received once. It does not matter how many small hosts she consumed at that Mass-- one or twenty-one. It would have been no different if she had received two pieces of host from one minister or extraordinary minister.

You can certainly coach her to inform a minister or extraordinary minister that she has already received if she were to encounter this again.

[quote="Rachel126, post:1, topic:337381"]
This morning at Mass, my daughter received two hosts at Communion. She is 8 years old. At our church, everyone comes up the main aisle for Communion, in two lines. At the front of the church, there are 3 EM's (with the Body of Christ) plus the priest (plus EM's with the Blood of Christ). In our line, one EM stands at the head of the line, and another EM stands slightly off to the side, both with the hosts. People alternate going to each. The second one was late getting to her station, for some reason, so we were all going to the first EM. The second EM arrived at her place, and my daughter had just received communion and was crossing over to receive the Precious Blood. That second EM kind of stood right in front of her and handed her a host (not realizing she had already received one). Not knowing what to do, my daughter accepted it and consumed it. I was ahead of her and was waiting to receive the wine, but i glanced at her and realized what was happening. I wasn't sure what to do. I know we aren't supposed to receive communion twice in one day unless attending two separate Masses. But my daughter doesn't know this, and did what she felt the EM in front of her, as an adult, expected her to do, which was accept the Host. I had about two seconds to stop it, but the only thing I could have done really was to take a few steps over, grab her arm and pull her away from the EM, and I hesitated because I hated to embarrass her in front of the entire church like that, and then it was too late.
My questions: Is it a sin to receive two hosts in one Mass like this? I assume that even if it is, my daughter is innocent, because she didn't know any better. Was it a sin for me to not stop her? If so, was it mortal, do I need to confess this immediately? What should I do if this happens again? I already told my daughter that if she should only receive one host, and if someone tries to hand her another, she should just shake her head and walk on. However she's only 8 and may forget this if it happens again in the future. This has never happened before so i didn't exactly have a plan prepared.

[/quote]

I think you are overreacting. Relax and calm down. :) Even though she received two hosts, it is considered that she received only "once." For example, if someone partakes of the host, and then drinks from the chalice, is that considered receiving twice in one day? No, it is not. Also, if a priest had to consume extra hosts after the Distribution, that would not impede him from receiving again at another Mass that day (assuming that he wasn't concelebrating). I believe, theoretically, a person could get back in line to receive another Host, but it wouldn't be necessary.

You daughter did not incur sin. :)

Excellent. Thanks, both of you, for the replies.
:slight_smile:

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

This happened to my granddaughter when I took her to Mass at my church, which she is not too familiar with. She got in line, received from the priest, and then she got confused when she went to receive the blood and got in the wrong line and received the host again from an EMHC. Then the poor thing was really confused and I got her before she could get in line again for the precious blood. I figured enough was enough. Poor thing was embarrassed, but I just explained it was an accident and not to fret over it.

An analogous thing that happens at many masses is when the priest (or EMHC, though I don’t know if they are supposed to or not) consume a host and receive from the chalice, and then later drink what is left in the chalice after everyone else has received. It is not considered receiving twice, any more than receiving both the host and the chalice is considered receiving twice.

No, it’s not. And your daughter is in good company. :slight_smile:

From Story of a Soul, by St. Therese of Lisieux

*Once, contrary to my usual custom, I felt troubled when I approached the Holy Table. For several days there had not been a sufficient number of Hosts, and I had only received a small part of one; this morning I foolishly thought: “If the same thing happens to-day, I shall imagine that Jesus does not care to come into my heart.” I approached the [altar] rails. What a joy awaited me! The Priest hesitated a moment, then gave me two entire Hosts. Was this not a sweet response?
ccel.org/ccel/therese/autobio.xvi.html

Hang on everybody, I got this...

It is EMHC. Not Eucharistic Minister, or EM. Only a priest is an EM.

Tchill Rachel, the Lord doesn’t mind little misunderstandings like that, and if you weren’t aware as if it was sinful, so it couldn’t be a mortal sin anyway.

I know the question has been answered, but I’ll get a bit deeper on the subject. Jesus gave His complete self to us, in which we receive with a little host. Wheter it is a bit more than that (even a piece of the main one of the consecration, which even when broken down remains pretty big compared to normal ones), it doesn’t really matter, she has let Christ get into her heart and there will He remain.

I’m an acolyte that serves on the altar and all that. One time, when the priest was dropping the hosts to the pyx (don’t know how to say in English, basically the host container) to put back at the tabernacle, he noticed two hosts that were broken, and he gave them to me to eat them, being the second and third host I ate at mass. That may be enough for anyone to conclude that as long as you’re not being a bit selfish by wanting more and more of Christ than the rest of the church, it’s far away from being a sin. Besides, it was a simple accident! :thumbsup:

I believe it is “pyx” in English as well.

:rotfl:

EMHC stands for Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion. It is often shortened to EM which stands for Extraordinary Minister. The priest is an Ordinary Minister and Extraordinary Ministers are those who assist when appropriate (under extra meaning “out of” or “not” ordinary circumstances). Usually Extraordinary Ministers are used because

the number of faithful requesting Holy Communion is such that the celebration of Mass or the distribution of the Eucharist outside of Mass would be unduly prolonged.

rcan.org/images/worship/06emohcpolicy.pdf

I have heard Eucharistic Minister used as a term to describe anyone distributing Communion but I do not know whether this is proper. I doubt that it is. I think people usually misinterpret EM to mean Eucharistic Minister which would make no sense; Eucharistic Minister of Holy Communion is unduly repetitive.

Actually, if the priest is reposing the hosts in the tabernacle, he’s probably placing them into a ciborium, not a pyx. A pyx is used for taking hosts to those unable to attend Mass (e.g., the ill or infirm).

[quote="Gorgias, post:14, topic:337381"]
Actually, if the priest is reposing the hosts in the tabernacle, he's probably placing them into a ciborium, not a pyx. A pyx is used for taking hosts to those unable to attend Mass (e.g., the ill or infirm).

[/quote]

Well, google translate turns out to be that wonderful, I guess... :whistle:

Anyway, thanks for the correction. Always helps me avoid naming things ankwardly! ;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.