“Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me"

I'd like to better understand the passage below from today's gospel reading from Luke:

Jesus turned to them and said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me; weep instead for yourselves and for your children,
for indeed, the days are coming when people will say, ‘Blessed are the barren, the wombs that never bore and the breasts that never nursed.’
At that time people will say to the mountains, ‘Fall upon us!’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us!’o
for if these things are done when the wood is green what will happen when it is dry?”

Thanks in advance!

Jesus is warning the women of what is to come in Jerusalem. The city will be attacked and destroyed in 70 A.D. During these times, barrenness will be a blessing. Verse 30 is a reference to Hos 10:8 when Hosea announced the upcoming destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel. In verse 31, Jerusalem is the wood and it is still green and not good for burning. There's time to repent and accept Christ. However, when it becomes dry, it will be too late.

[quote="marty1818, post:2, topic:320034"]
Jesus is warning the women of what is to come in Jerusalem. The city will be attacked and destroyed in 70 A.D. During these times, barrenness will be a blessing. Verse 30 is a reference to Hos 10:8 when Hosea announced the upcoming destruction of the northern kingdom of Israel. In verse 31, Jerusalem is the wood and it is still green and not good for burning. There's time to repent and accept Christ. However, when it becomes dry, it will be too late.

[/quote]

Yes indeed.

I know someone is just going to want to use this to stand on a soap box for being pro-abortion. I wouldn't go to far in saying I think he was giving them an extra bit of advice. Don't sound like oppression to me.

I am glad that it is explained. I questioned the actual meaning of it.

Thanks.:)

[quote="ndeparis88, post:4, topic:320034"]
I know someone is just going to want to use this to stand on a soap box for being pro-abortion.

[/quote]

Then again, a woman who is considering abortion (or who has had one in the past) isn't exactly an example of a person who is barren, is she? :nope:

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

Could you explain the above to me?

How difficult it will be for pregnant women and for mothers nursing. Pray that your flight will not take place in winter or on the Sabbath.

-Mt 24:19-20

Pregnant women will have a harder time fleeing when the fall of Jerusalem occurs. Jesus goes on to warn the Christians by looking at the signs. History tells us that the Christians fled before the Romans came because of Jesus's warning. They knew the place would be destroyed and they took his advice to flee to the mountains.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.