Daughters of Mary, Mother of Healing Love

Hello everyone! I'm currently discerning a vocation with the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Healing Love in NH and I was just wondering if any other ladies out there have heard of them or are/have visited them. They run St Charles Children's home, a home for children taken from homes and families in crisis. Here's the website for the home: stcharleshome.org/index.html

Unfortunately the sisters don't have a website, but they do have a facebook page! facebook.com/pages/Daughters-of-Mary-Mother-of-Healing-Love/108723729684?fref=ts

So has anyone else visited them? I was able to go for a week in August and will be returning very soon hopefully! These women are wonderful and deserve some attention (and some new daughters!)

Beautiful community in need of vocations. I knew someone drawn to them, then when the Carmelite nuns moved to her locality, she was attracted to them.

But yes, I would recommend the Healing Love sisters.

Blessings,
Cloisters

:harp:These sisters were formed by some Sisters of Charity of Our Lady,Mother of the Church of Baltic ,Conneticut.These Sisters of Charity of Our Lady,,Mother of the Church were founded from the Sisters of Charity of Our Lady,Mother of Mercy in the 1970s.
The original community these two sprang from came from Holland to the US in the 1800s some time.
I live to far away to do any volunteer work with them and would have to get bills paid off to join any community,but I think they are very good sisters who want to make a difference and with all the cases of child abuse etc in the world,they do good work.

I’ve heard of them before but really don’t know too much. I really love what they do and am also interested in learning more. I think I’ll write to them about maybe visiting at some point. I’m not sure where God is calling me, but maybe this would be a good starting point…if God is calling me to religious life, I could easily see myself fitting in snuggly with this order. I still have a lot of discerning to do, but I have faith though that God will lead me to my vocation.

But I am truly so excited to have seen this post on here! Glad to see that my interest in this order is shared by someone else as well!

Sisters of Charity of Our Lady, Mother of Mercy–never heard of them. Interesting about the DMMHL founder’s novitiate, though.

Would like to hear more about the Dutch congregation, too.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[quote="llenadegracia, post:4, topic:309249"]
I've heard of them before but really don't know too much. I really love what they do and am also interested in learning more. I think I'll write to them about maybe visiting at some point. I'm not sure where God is calling me, but maybe this would be a good starting point....if God is calling me to religious life, I could easily see myself fitting in snuggly with this order. I still have a lot of discerning to do, but I have faith though that God will lead me to my vocation.

But I am truly so excited to have seen this post on here! Glad to see that my interest in this order is shared by someone else as well!

[/quote]

Oh, yes, by all means, please do check them out. You'll need to visit other communities of various kinds to see what attracts and repulses. Concerning the latter, it is recommended that one say, "What they're doing is nice, but that isn't what I'm looking for."

Blessings,
Cloisters

Wow, so glad to see there are others interested in this order! I absolutely love them and can’t wait to go back and see them again. Llenadegarcia, perhaps I could answer a free questions for you about them. Feel free to send me a message if you’d like to talk :slight_smile: I would definitely visit them if you can.

[quote="Cloisters, post:6, topic:309249"]
Oh, yes, by all means, please do check them out. You'll need to visit other communities of various kinds to see what attracts and repulses. Concerning the latter, it is recommended that one say, "What they're doing is nice, but that isn't what I'm looking for."

Blessings,
Cloisters

[/quote]

Absolutely. I've visited a few orders before and volunteered with various orders over the last few years, but I just couldn't imagine myself being called there. Exactly like you said - what they're doing is nice, but it wasn't what I was looking for. When I saw the work of DMMHL, it felt as if I had found the right key to unlocking a door.

I feel pretty strongly called towards the married life, but I'm definitely still discerning. It just felt good to see DMMHL and finally feel see an order I could see myself in. Obviously I haven't visited them nor talked to any of the sisters, but there's just a pull on my heart almost saying something like, "if you are called to religious life...DMMHL should be the/one of the first order you seriously discern with".

Like I said, still have a lot of discerning to do and right now I feel pretty called towards marriage. But I feel at peace having found this order.

And bassrac - I probably will eventually send you a message sometime once the start of this semester starts slowing down....definitely interested in hearing about your experience visting them.

[quote="llenadegracia, post:8, topic:309249"]
Absolutely. I've visited a few orders before and volunteered with various orders over the last few years, but I just couldn't imagine myself being called there. Exactly like you said - what they're doing is nice, but it wasn't what I was looking for. When I saw the work of DMMHL, it felt as if I had found the right key to unlocking a door.

I feel pretty strongly called towards the married life, but I'm definitely still discerning. It just felt good to see DMMHL and finally feel see an order I could see myself in. Obviously I haven't visited them nor talked to any of the sisters, but there's just a pull on my heart almost saying something like, "if you are called to religious life...DMMHL should be the/one of the first order you seriously discern with".

Like I said, still have a lot of discerning to do and right now I feel pretty called towards marriage. But I feel at peace having found this order.

And bassrac - I probably will eventually send you a message sometime once the start of this semester starts slowing down....definitely interested in hearing about your experience visting them.

[/quote]

Don't worry about marriage until you can't run the guy off. Even then, you have a choice of following God into the religious life, or honoring Him in your family members.

These sisters take parenting classes, which helps them raise these kids. They're more than an institution, they're a nurturing home. They teach the kids to pray when they feel like they're about to blow a gasket.

In a way, being a religious in this community would be like a marriage--Jesus as the daddy of the home, and you as the mother raising these kids to be productive citizens.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[quote="Cloisters, post:9, topic:309249"]
Don't worry about marriage until you can't run the guy off. Even then, you have a choice of following God into the religious life, or honoring Him in your family members.

These sisters take parenting classes, which helps them raise these kids. They're more than an institution, they're a nurturing home. They teach the kids to pray when they feel like they're about to blow a gasket.

In a way, being a religious in this community would be like a marriage--Jesus as the daddy of the home, and you as the mother raising these kids to be productive citizens.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[/quote]

That's super fantastic they take parenting classes. Everything I continue hearing and discovering about this order is really really awesome.

I suppose that it kind of comes down to something like this....when I try to picture myself at other orders...I just can't. Again, not that I don't think what ot her orders do is great and all...I just can't envision myself being called there. But then when I saw this order....I knew immediately that if the Lord desires me to be in religious life...this is the order I should turn. Does that make sense?

[quote="llenadegracia, post:10, topic:309249"]
That's super fantastic they take parenting classes. Everything I continue hearing and discovering about this order is really really awesome.

I suppose that it kind of comes down to something like this....when I try to picture myself at other orders...I just can't. Again, not that I don't think what ot her orders do is great and all...I just can't envision myself being called there. But then when I saw this order....I knew immediately that if the Lord desires me to be in religious life...this is the order I should turn. Does that make sense?

[/quote]

It makes sense, but you'll never know until you get there.

Most sisters and one priest I spoke with said when they stepped onto the property, they knew they were "home" and therefore entered. I had such an exeperience when I got to a monastery I had been inspired to enter--but didn't--when I was in college. When I got there, they were closing for lack of vocations. Which is one reason I say, "Try it!"

Discerning marriage means you're open to the possibility of a spouse crossing your path. Believe me, when they get there, a form of blinders are put on and they're all that matters in the world. The man can't stay away from the woman, and she is totally devoted to supporting him and his work. And everything goes into the care and raising of the children who come along.

HTH

Blessings,
Cloisters

Does anyone know what their average age of entrance is and how many sisters they have? What a beautiful ministry!

I definitely get what you mean by just knowing it was “home”. I work (volunteer) with kids from disadvantaged backgrounds often in and out of foster care or struggling with anger issues or learning disabilities or other disorders…very much similar issues that this order focuses on…and when I started helping out, I immediately knew these were my kids. Obviously not biological. Obviously not because I’m way too young to be their mother (they’re elementary…I’m in college…I would have had them when I was 10ish years old…). But just that I’m meant to love them like they’re my own kids and be the “mom” figure in their life. Hug them and give them high fives and stick their report cards up on the fridge of the broken building we hold the program at…just love these kids. Hold them when they cry, put the band aid on for a paper cut, and teach them how to write their name in cursive…

I watched a series of interviews with priests once and one of them responded why celibacy was good. He said because the people he gets up for in the middle of the night…his parishioners…to do annointing of the sick…he just couldn’t do if he had his own kids/family. That his parishinors were his kids.

I don’t know. That’s why this order really sticks out to me. I think the Lord is calling me to be a mom. And I’m super confident in that statement. It’s just that maybe that I’m called to be a mom in a nonbiological way. I really love what the program I’m volunteering for now…it just feels like home. And I’m wondering if maybe it’s a sign that this order would feel like home too.

No matter what though…I really think God is calling me to be connected to the world…I do not feel called whatsoever to a cloistered life. Nor a life working in a Catholic setting such as in Catholic schools like Dominican Sisters, Mary Mother of the Eucharist…not that there’s anything bad with either of those…those are wonderful vocations. Just not my vocation.

Oh man…now I just do want to visit this order. Perhaps sometime during the summer I will see if I can arrange something.

Ok so last thought: I can easily imagine my wedding. Exchanging rings. I can also easily imagine my vows to religious life (specifically to this order). Both point towards the same purpose of looking to Christ. And I feel called to both. So more prayer and more discernment for me.

I hope this all made sense. It’s pretty late and my sense starts to drop as the hour goes on!

and rissa87…I don’t have any information…I know they’re a really new order though. Hopefully someone else has some info!

There are seven of them - six sisters and the mother superior. I can’t tell you an average age…some are 50s, 60s, and maybe one or two in their 40s. I keep in regular contact with them and will hopefully move to NH after I graduate college this May :slight_smile: I’m 21 and will hopefully enter soon, if that helps :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.