David Duke, Former KKK Leader, Announces Senate Run

In a relentlessly grim and gloomy post-RNC America, where racial distrust and paranoia abound, Trump-supporter, Holocaust-denier, and racist extraordinaire David Duke announced this morning that he’s running for the Senate.

The former Ku Klux Klan leader and one-term Republican member of the Louisiana House of Representatives said in a video announcing his candidacy Friday that he believes in “equal rights for all, and respect for all Americans.”

“However,” he added, “what makes me different is I also demand respect for the rights and the heritage of European Americans.”

Duke will seek an open seat vacated by Republican Sen. David Vitter, who announced last year that he would not be seeking re-election. More than a dozen other candidates have also signed up to replace the retiring senator.

Initially, Duke had said he was leaning toward mounting a challenge against Republican Rep. Steve Scalise, who once described himself as “David Duke without the baggage.” But apparently, Duke now feels there’s room for the both of them in Washington.

In his announcement video, Duke pledged to “stop the massive immigration and ethnic cleansing of the people whose forefathers created America.” He declared, “We cannot have free trade without fair trade.” And he said he was “overjoyed to see Donald Trump and most Americans embrace most of the issues that [he’s] championed for years.”

Duke founded a KKK chapter in 1974, and won a seat in the Louisiana legislature 15 years later. He ran unsuccessfully for U.S. Senate in 1990 and for Louisiana governor in 1991. Ex-convict Edwin Edwards, a Democrat, beat Duke in that gubernatorial election with the famous slogan, “Vote for the crook, it’s important.”

The National Republican Senatorial Committee (NRSC) said it would not support Duke’s candidacy.

I am uncertain of the NRSC’s influence in funding campaigns. How meaningful is this non-endorsement ?

For that matter, who is funding Duke’s campaign?

He is a racist, but he would still be better than the liberal politicians that want to push a radical social agenda. I do not condone David Duke though.

Wow. So you consider Hillary and Obama worse than the KKK? :shrug:

That is correct.

WOW! :eek:

I believe you have it backwards: someone who is a racist is the one with the radical social agenda.

WOW! :eek: on my part too. This is plain disturbing!!

Good point.

(sarcasm) Making our state proud once again. Thanks, David! (/sarcasm)

All cynicism aside, this senate election is really good. A lot of you might not know this but the two leading Democrats in the race are both pro-life. Caroline Fayard is a practicing Catholic. What inevitably happens in Louisiana is that it comes down to a Republican versus Democrat. With both leading Democratic contenders being pro-life, and the Republican contender almost certainly being pro-life, I would say this is a win-win election for Louisiana Catholics.*

*That is assuming that, somehow, David Duke doesn’t come in and just blow the whole thing up.

The KKK has no power to infringe on my rights or take a dime out of my pocket. Why should I be scared of them? Hillary, on the other hand, can’t wait to stack the Supreme Court with Justices to over turn Heller, Citizen’s United, and every other recent SC decision that has served to expand rather than restrict citizen’s rights.

You do realize that if Duke were elected he would be in a position to infringe on non white’s rights yes?

So if they have no power to infringe on your rights but definitely plan to infringe on the rights of others, it’s all good?

Be real, they’re not worse than the KKK.

How would he do that as a senator?

But it’s academic anyway. No possibility he’ll win.

He was already in the House of Representatives for 4 years though. Seems to me the radical left and right are becoming a phenom and stepping up to involve themselves in politics. Hes a concern for sure. The radical thinking as with Alinsky is now dismissed about changing the system from the outside, now as Hillary believes it must be done from within. We should all be careful with such people. :wink:

I’m not seeing how David Duke, even on the incredibly off chance he becomes a Senator, would be a bigger threat to everyone’s rights than Hillary Clinton as President.

Because Senators create bills for laws and dictate policy, not presidents. At best a president can issue an executive order that can be easily rescinded by the next president if need be. And if it’s one thing this primary season has shown, it’s that he’d have at least some white supremacist support in Congress. Besides, the KKK is a designated hate group that has murdered and terrorized non-whites for over a century. Hillary Clinton is not.

Is that why the illegals now have amnesty?

Can you give me an example of a law that David Duke could get 60 senators to allow to pass?

I bet he wouldn’t mind making a few amendments to the Voting Rights Act. Not sure he’d get enough votes in the Senate to get that through, though. The House might be easier.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.