David, God, Pro Life, Repentance

Why did King David insult the lord by killing Uriah?

Why did King David think he could hoodwink the lord?

Why did The Lord not accpet King David’s perfect contrition?

Why did The Lord not forgive David?

Why did The Lord kill King Davids child instead of Punishing King David?

Does The Lord become pro choice after killing a innocent baby?

Why is King David not a Saint or Prophet?

Should we respect King David Today after his terrible sin?

Thanks for answering all these questions as I do not know the answers.

Sin makes you stupid.

Why did The Lord not accpet King David’s perfect contrition?

Why did The Lord not forgive David?

He did, but sins also require a temporal punishment. Let’s not forget that David directly violated two of the Ten Commandments, and he was supposed to be the leader of the Chosen People.

Why did The Lord kill King Davids child instead of Punishing King David?

I believe that later on, David talks about being reunited with the child in the afterlife. So perhaps the child was taken directly to “Abraham’s bosom” rather than having to grow up and deal with the entire civil war involving Absalom, etc…

Does The Lord become pro choice after killing a innocent baby?

The Author of Life also has the sovereign right to take a life according to the demands of His justice.

Why is King David not a Saint or Prophet?

He certainly is a prophet - look at some of the Psalms. Besides, in the Hebrew Bible, the books dealing with David are also considered to be prophetic (1 & 2 Samuel and 1 & 2 Kings - or 1-4 Kings if you use the Vulgate.)

Should we respect King David Today after his terrible sin?

Of course. He repented, fasted, and took his punishment like a man. More than I can say for most contemporary world leaders.

Thanks for answering all these questions as I do not know the answers.

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

RPR Psych,
Thanks for your well thought out answer.

Mary.

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

I find myself studying that passage often, mostly because Psalm 51 is my favourite Psalm. I probably cribbed this from various study Bibles, but I’m not in front of my bookshelf right now, so I can’t provide “chapter and verse” (figuratively speaking) :smiley:

Was it wrong for David to still marry have children with Bathsheba after all that happened?
Can we venerate old testament prophets such as Abraham, David, Elijah, Elisha, Moses, Jacob, etc the same way we venerate saints?

LOL, Say what? No chapter and verse?:smiley:
I love Psalm 51 as well

God bless

Mary.

Yes. Prophets and patriarchs are listed in the Roman Martyrology and commemorated as “as holy patriarchs and prophets” in the Litany of the Saints. Their veneration is not prominent in the Western Church though it is more pronounced in the Eastern Church, both Eastern Catholic and Orthodox.

I’ve never liked the fact that he still stayed with the mother but have always felt bad for the little baby without a name. :frowning:

Are they greater then the new testament saints? Is King David or Elijah better than Saint Stephen or Joseph?

At that point Bathsheba was widowed and free to remarry. David’s marriage to her may have served as restitution (in part) for the killing of her husband Uriah. In the end, God blessed their marriage with a son (Solomon).

Abraham is our adopted father, as ‘father of nations’ Sarah, his wife, is mother of nations, and our adopted mother.

Elijah came back as John the Baptist, and will, as stated in Revelation ( I think), make another appearance to help us before Jesus returns.

Elijah is pretty amazing. I think saints all have different jobs. So its difficult to put in a hierachy. I would be surprised if they had such, in Heaven.

RPRPSYCH
have you seen ’ the Greatest Story Ever Told’? I am trying to work out which Psalms are being said. :innocent:

No. She was a widow who’d just lost her child, they had both done time for their crime (though the Bible only narrates David’s side of the story), and the marriage was the honourable thing to do.

And yes, we can venerate Old Testament prophets. I believe the Eastern Catholics do it far more regularly and systematically than us Latins. :slight_smile:

Thanks, God bless you too! :thumbsup:

When I’m in a penitential mood, I read all seven Penitential Psalms from start to finish. -]Then I take out my Discipline, modelled on St. Louis IX’s, and give myself 39 good ones./-] :smiley:

If David had Uriah killed, then he owed Bathsheba for killing her husband. That was an evil, treacherous thing to do. I wonder if Bathsheba knew David had this plan? David, being king, had control over this sort of thing, which made murder seem OK at the time.

Taking their baby did not seem bad for the baby since it was God who took him. I don’t think it was done in a painful way. Maybe when it happened, it made David realize what a bad thing he did. While he was doing the evil, it didn’t seem as if he cared, but he cared soon enough when his child was taken from him.

Are you suggesting they are not saints?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.