David's Heir

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask about this passage that I’ve read from usccb.org’s daily readings. It’s 2 Sm 7, particularly verse 12-14 which states

12 When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring after you, who shall come forth from your body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He shall build a house for my name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be a father to him, and he shall be a son to me. When he commits iniquity, I will punish him with a rod such as mortals use, with blows inflicted by human beings.

So when I read this, I automatically thought that the heir of David refers to Jesus, but what got me was verse 14 which says that He (God) will punish him…with blows inflicted by human beings, if he were to commit iniquity. Does that mean that Jesus did sin and that the blows that He got from others (human beings) was a means of punishment, or is my line of thinking completely wrong?

In the Jerusalem bible it has this comment.

God will deal with David’s descendants as a Father with his son, chastising them as men do.

I thought this passage referred to Solomon. He was the one who built the “house” (the first temple) and ultimately sinned by committing idolatry, among other sins. His punishment was through his son Rehoboam, who lost 10 of the 12 Tribes of Israel and the Kingdom was divided.

I may be in error though.

The spiritual sense of the scripture is that it points to Jesus.

The literal sense of the scripture is, as CB Catholic stated, King Solomon.

-Tim-

Okay, that makes more sense. I guess I didn’t take to account that David did have a son, and that last post helped in clarifying that that particular passage was referring to Jesus in a spiritual sense. THanks

The prophecy is about Solomon. While we have no record of him having been physically beaten, and in fact God spared the kingdom serious consequences for the sake of David his father, Solomon did suffer rebellion in the later years of his reign and his kingdom was divided after his death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.