Day 10 - "emptying oneself of the spirit of the world"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Blessings on this beautiful Feast of the Assumption of our Blessed Mother! What a glorious Mother we have, given to us by Jesus from His Cross, and she is interceding for us “now and at the hour of our death”! As we continue our 33 Day Journey of Preparation to consecrate or re-consecrate ourselves totally to Jesus through Mary, by God’s Grace, let us ponder the beautiful Mass Readings for today’s Feast HERE

Each reading has so much to ponder, yet in light of the journey we are on, let us perhaps consider how “unworldly” our Mother and Model is by God’s Grace. There is no sin in her, and so from our First Reading we can “see” by faith, Mary in the words from Revelation:

God’s temple in heaven was opened,
and the ark of his covenant could be seen in the temple.

A great sign appeared in the sky, a woman clothed with the sun,
with the moon under her feet,
and on her head a crown of twelve stars.

And in the Gospel from Luke, we see Mary, after conceiving in her womb, going with haste to visit her cousin Elizabeth, and in that encounter Mary sings her “Magnificat”:

"My soul magnifies the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for He has looked with favor on His lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me
and holy is His Name…

Mary’s song, by God’s Grace, can become our song, but only by God’s Grace. We do not purify ourselves, and in truth we can do nothing without Him. However, God wants us to cooperate with His Grace. He wants us to ask that we may receive Him, to seek that we may find Him and to knock that He may open the door. (cf Mt 7: 7-11).

So as we continue our journey, in this period of 12 days let us continue to ask God for His Grace to “empty ourselves of the spirit of the world”. By His Grace, let us remember Jesus’ words from His Cross to John (and to us): “Behold your Mother”. By His Grace, may we “see” again by our supernatural faith, given at Baptism, in Mary the Mother and Model for all of us.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.