Day 12 - "emptying oneself of the spirit of the world"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Sorry to be late in posting this message. It has been an unexpectedly busy day, and so I was not able to post earlier. Hopefully we’ve been mindful that today is the final day in this first period of Preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary, as St. Louis described this 33 Day Journey in his treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin”.

How could we ever completely “empty ourselves of the spirit of the world in 12 days” ? Only by God’s Grace can we even begin to understand what the spirit of the world is, and with a lifetime of asking, seeking and knocking on the door for God to open it for us. Why then does St. Louis even suggest it? He knows by God’s Grace that what happened after Adam and Eve’s original sin which “opposed to God” – “the spirit of opposition to God” continues in the world . St. Louis knows how much we need to recognize God’s Truth and oppose the lies of the evil one, who “prowls about like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour.” (cf 1 Peter 5: 5-11)

So let us spend the rest of this day asking God’s Grace with as firm a resolution as we can to empty ourselves as much as we can of the spirit of the world which opposes the spirit of Christ, and continue asking for God’s Grace to finish this journey well.

God willing we begin Week 1 tomorrow:

1. During the first week they should offer up all their prayers and acts of devotion to acquire knowledge of themselves and sorrow for their sins.

Let them perform all their actions in a spirit of humility. With this end in view they may, if they wish, meditate on what I have said concerning our corrupted nature, and consider themselves during six days of the week as nothing but sails, slugs, toads, swine, snakes and goats. Or else they may meditate on the following three considerations of St. Bernard: “Remember what you were - corrupted seed; what you are - a body destined for decay; what you will be -food for worms.”

They will ask our Lord and the Holy Spirit to enlighten them saying, “Lord, that I may see,” or “Lord, let me know myself,” or the “Come, Holy Spirit”. Every day they should say the Litany of the Holy Spirit, with the prayer that follows, as indicated in the first part of this work. They will turn to our Blessed Lady and beg her to obtain for them that great grace which is the foundation of all others, the grace of self-knowledge. For this intention they will say each day the Ave Maris Stella and the Litany of the Blessed Virgin.

I’ll post links to the the prayers which St. Louis recommends tomorrow. May the Lord bless the remainder of this day for us encouraging us by His Grace, filling us with the Fire of His Love. Come Holy Spirit! Jesus, we trust in You! Mary, Mother of the Church, intercede for us. St. Joseph and all you holy saints and angels, pray for us.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.