Day 2 -"emptying oneself of the spirit of the world"

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Yesterday I began another journey toward renewal of my Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary. If you have never read St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on “True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin” you may be blessed in clicking on the link to learn more from this little book.

St. John Paul II wrote that reading St. Louis de Montfort was a “turning point” in his young life. It has been that for me as well, although every soul is unique and so every journey in some ways is unique as well. God created us unique and unrepeatable human persons. Nevertheless God chose to send his Son, through the humble Virgin Mary by the power of the Holy Spirit, to restore us to His Friendship after the Original sin of Adam and Eve.

St. Louis de Montfort in writing his treatise, explains how Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary is a “perfect renewal of our baptismal promises”. His treatise is well worth reading and the link I’ve given will take you to the online version. If you prefer to use a book it is an inexpensive paperback available on Amazon.

The Preparation begins with a period of 12 days spent seeking to “empty oneself; of the spirit of the world”. Sounds impossible doesn’t it? For us it is impossible, but nothing is impossible to God. With faith in His power, we set out asking for the graces we need to enter the “Interior Castle” of our souls to “see” by the Light of infused faith, what may need to be emptied – whatever is not of God but is opposed to Him. Mary is the only human person who was never opposed to God. Jesus dying on His Cross told us: “Behold your Mother”. In his introduction to True Devotion, St. Louis de Montfort wrote:

1. My heart has dictated with special joy all that I have written to show that Mary has been unknown up till now, and that that is one of the reasons why Jesus Christ is not known as he should be.

If then, as is certain, the knowledge and the kingdom of Jesus Christ must come into the world, it can only be as a necessary consequence of the knowledge and reign of Mary. She who first gave Him to the world will establish his kingdom in the world.

Come Holy Spirit, guide us on this Journey. Jesus we trust in You! Mary, Mother and Model of the church, pray for us.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.