Day 3 "emptying oneself of the spirit of the world" (Aug. 8)

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Today is Day 3 in the preliminary period of 12 days, in the preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary as outlined in St. Louis De Montfort’s treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin. I’m making this journey of 33 Days to renew my Act of Consecration on Sept. 8 - Feast of the Nativity of Mary. I invite anyone who has made this Consecration to rew their Consecration also.

If you are unfamiliar with this devotion, I encourage you to click on the link highlighted in the opening sentence above and read more from Saint Louis himself, as he explains how this Total Consecration is a perfect renewal of our baptismal promises. One of the reasons, I appreciate the writing of St. Louis de Montfort is his knowledge and appreciation of God’s Revelation in Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church. This preliminary period of 12 days, for instance – seeking to empty oneself of the “spirit of the world” is a theme we find in the First Letter of John.

As I wrote yesterday, it seems impossible to empty ourselves in 12 days, but this is really the “ongoing conversion” we are called to repeat throughout our lives. We begin new each day. The First Letter of John warned the early Church to recognize the spirit of the world and to empty themselves of that spirit which is contrary to Christ’s Spirit:

…Do not love the world or the things of the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, sensual lust, enticement for the eyes, and a pretentious life, is not from the Father but is from the world. Yet the world and its enticement are passing away. But whoever does the will of God remains forever…
(1 Jn 2:15 - 17)

John is speaking of the “spirit of the world” and not the the created world God fashioned with beauty and things good. He is speaking of the spirit we can absorb into ourselves, that we need to recognize as things opposed to God’s Spirit. By God’s Grace, let us within the “Interior Castle” of our souls, ponder by the Light of supernatural Faith, given to us in our Baptism. Let us listen and ponder what God’s Word is telling us. Let us ask Him for all the graces we need, and seek Him today, let us persevere in prayer, knocking that the door be opened for us.

I made the Consecration to Mary a while ago … but I am not good at renewing it … bless you in your dedication to Mary.

Ah dear Katherine,

Thanks so much for your reply. Why not begin your preparation today? The 12 preliminary days have only just begun. The Preparation is really an opportunity to grow in our spiritual lives. I have found these 12 days help me, by God’s Grace, to set my mind on sorting out what is helping me to seek the Kingdom of God and what is not.

We cannot do this once in our lifetime and think that is enough. Our lives need to be an ongoing conversion by God’s Grace persevering in order to answer our call to holiness. There are so many places in Scripture which remind of this, but we need to really want to grow. How can we be content to live mediocre lives if we are followers of Christ!

Mary is our Mother and Model, and God gave St Louis De Montfort unique graces to make her better known and loved. St. John Paul II wrote that reading "True Devotion" was a turning point in his life. St. Teresa of Calcutta recommended the Total Consecration to her Missionaries of Charity also. These are saints of our day and we do well to learn as they did. By God’s Grace and Mary’s intercession, may you chose to join us on this journey!

Now is not a good time for me Maria … my daughter is about to deliver a baby and at any moment I can be taken away to Virginia for a week … which is a trip for me … it would not be a good setting for making a consecration. But thank you for your offer.

The birth of your granddaughter is a precious occasion, and of course, you want to be there and be fully present to God’s beautiful work in bringing forth new life! You, your daughter and family are in my prayers.

The renewal of your Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary can be made at any time, and I believe the Holy Spirit will guide you, through the intercession of our Mother Mary. Thanks for your reply. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.