Day 31 (Wk 3 - Day 5) seeking to understand Jesus better

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

To understand Jesus, it seems to me, we can hear Him interiorly telling us: “Behold Your Mother”. When we do, we will “see” by faith, listening to His Word, in Scripture and Tradition, and through the Magisterium of the Church, how God worked marvels in her. The Holy Spirit overshadowed her, and she conceived by the Holy Spirit; the Word was made Flesh in her Womb. We begin to “see” Jesus by faith, in Mary’s womb – especially during this holy season of Advent, and by the power of the same Holy Spirit, we understand Jesus better.

By God’s Grace we are enabled to continue learning from Mary as she learned from Jesus: she kept all He said and did and pondered them in her heart. Mary is the Mother and Model for the Church in seeking to understand Jesus. Mary did not immediately understand all Jesus said and did. Jesus’ words to Mary and Joseph when they found Him teaching in the temple at 12 years old were: “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know I must be in My Father’s House?” and the Gospel tells us: “They did not understand the words He spoke to them”. Nevertheless, we can trust in the ongoing presence of the Holy Spirit continuing to work in the hearts of Mary and Joseph during those hidden years in Nazareth. We can trust that the same Holy Spirit works in those who continually open their hearts to receive - Who ask and receive, seek and find, knock that the door may open for them. (cf Mt. 7:7-11)

The Liturgical year which begins in Advent is intended to help us by God’s Grace, to live with Mary, the mysteries in Christ’s life that He may more and more become “our Way, our Truth and our Life”. St. Louis de Montfort’s treatise on True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin is written to show us to grow in Jesus through Mary continually.

By God’s Grace, may each of us continue praying to the Holy Spirit, and seeking Mary’s help to know Jesus better, and on Christmas offer ourselves more completely than ever before to Jesus through Mary.

Litany to the Holy Spirit HERE
Ave Maris Stella HERE
Litany of the Holy Name of Jesus HERE

1 Like

Meditating on the birth of our Lord…the angel said for unto you today in the city of David is born a savior who is Christ the Lord… and this will be a sign to you, you will find the babe dressed in swaddling clothes and lying in a manger…

How many babies were born that night that the angels sang? How many people were in Bethlehem–remember Caesar called for the census… so probably MANY were there… How many women who had babies that night would have been reduced to a stable or cave to have the child? How many would tear rags from their skirts to wrap their new born? How many would think of laying him on straw in a manger??? Yet all these things happened to Jesus and Mary and the Angel told the shepherds about it and they went and found that everything the Angel said was TRUE!!! Just thinking of that makes me awestruck and leaves me trembling that our Lord loved us so much that he would take nothing from man except life (our nature) from the mother… I bet those shepherds brought the family some scraps of food and maybe something to help keep the baby warm… Just my ramblings… Happy Friday!

1 Like

Dear Petra,

Thanks for your reply – far from “rambling”, dear sister – it seems to me you are sharing Mary’s “memories”. :slight_smile: I keep pondering the beautiful scene of the Nativity that prompted me to begin our 33 Day Preparation for Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary. Shepherds are always a reminder of Jesus the Good Shepherd Who gave His Life for us, His sheep. His Love is beyond our imagining!

The artist, however, for me captured the heart of Baby Jesus in that simple gesture of embracing the sheep’s face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.